New scanners destroying preload productivity

PT Car Washer

I am bitter because I have a horrible loader. Day in and day out he gives his cars misloads and crappy loads. I tried talking to him but he just doesn't care. Drives me nuts when I need to get off at a decent time (7pm) for something.
A loader can make or break your day. Most times it is not the loader but either the PT sup or FT management that is the real problem. I have went from being the best employee to the worse just because of the way management treats me that day or week or month.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I like the promise of this system but I don't think my building will ever get it. Our preload never starts on time and if this system slows the process down then it just won't work. That's a shame. The person who loads my set is guaranteed to give us all misloads. Some his fault, some the fault of our automated building which puts incorrect pal labels on packages at a seemingly greater rate than humans did when we had a sort aisle.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
That would work, except the loader has to be "in the zone" of the package car when scanning. You can't just stand at the head of the belt and scan every car.
Yes, you can when the sup comes down, scans the package car, stacks the packages for that car and moves to the next. We've had this system in our building for almost a year now, it's manipulated to the max now.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We went on the new scanning system a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had any missorts on my car. I'm disappointed, my supervisor used to come out and see me to get them........not anymore. I do have missing packages still. Now the company knows exactly what is on each car if the scanning is done correctly, so you drivers that are hiding missorts need to think about that if you have a target on your back.
That is until they start doing what they are here, taking a "general" scanner and using it for the whole belt. The objective isn't for better loads, it's to meet the metric placed in front of them. By. Any. Means. Nessesary.

SmithBarney

We do this at FDX Express, although in most cases the driver loads their own vehicle so it's much easier. Basically creates more accuracy for package tracking, but to expect no impact on the preload is insane. 1 guy loading 1 truck is not close to 1 preloader loading 3-4PCs

Having worked at UPS as a Preloader, and Driver... I couldn't imagine trying to scan each package of the 4PCs that I loaded, short of having a scanner around the entrance of the back of the PC like they have on the hub belts, where it catches the barcode as you pass through...no matter what side of the package the barcode is on.

CHALLY9TX

At this point good. Loads have been getting worse and worse. Maybe this will slow people down to load the damn truck properly.

Load quality is terrible in our hub after they went live with the scanners. It's obvious scanning every package slows them down. You think they slowed down the belts? Of course not. You think they hired enough people? Ha! How do the loaders make up that time? By just tossing it in the truck. Misloads are down but load quality got worse.

billerz

If the preload is not wrapped and drivers take over do they have to continue to use the scanners?
When we take over for the preloaders after start time, we don't scan anything. At least for now, my sups have said " just get everything in the car and get out of here". I'm sure at some point they will figure out what to do in those situations.
The PT sups try and tell us, hey wait and let so and so scan those, but once it's start time our drivers just bulldoze over them.

km3

Isn't an " out for delivery" message generated when they SPA the package?

I may be wrong, but I think centers that have this new system changed that. I guess that can help ensure it doesn't get lost somewhere in the building (dead belt, falls under/behind a boxline, etc.).

dudebro

I like the promise of this system but I don't think my building will ever get it. Our preload never starts on time and if this system slows the process down then it just won't work. That's a shame. The person who loads my set is guaranteed to give us all misloads. Some his fault, some the fault of our automated building which puts incorrect pal labels on packages at a seemingly greater rate than humans did when we had a sort aisle.
One good thing about the preload scan at the car, is each scan makes a new call to automation. If there's a bad SPA label on a package due to an out of sync, an add/cut not communicated, or something else, the scanner will still flag it as not belonging in the wrong car, even if the SPA label says it goes there. Part of the training is to teach them that that scanner isn't wrong in these cases, it's actually more likely to be right.

8 Hour Day

In our center, prior to these, packages would be marked "out for delivery" as early as 2 am when the preload started up... long before any packages made it to the cars. Now, they're marked "out for delivery" when the preloader scans them - hours later. Much more accurate, but still not actually right.

My load quality has improved, misloads are a fraction of what they were, but preload isn't finishing on time. They're going to have to either ditch the system, cheat the system or hire more people.

Rack em

Made the Podium
In our center, prior to these, packages would be marked "out for delivery" as early as 2 am when the preload started up... long before any packages made it to the cars. Now, they're marked "out for delivery" when the preloader scans them - hours later. Much more accurate, but still not actually right.

My load quality has improved, misloads are a fraction of what they were, but preload isn't finishing on time. They're going to have to either ditch the system, cheat the system or hire more people.
Knowing ups, cheat the system it is!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Why do the scanners take so long to scan? The SPA scanners in unload don't take that long.

If they are still required to write on the package and scan, ditch the writing.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily

This right here is why I believe my center will never use this system. Our preload already never finishes on time. We've already had our start time which had been 8:30 for the last 10 years moved back to 8:45 and yet we STILL don't depart the building until 9:20 or later. If this system takes longer then it would be way too much late air.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This right here is why I believe my center will never use this system. Our preload already never finishes on time. We've already had our start time which had been 8:30 for the last 10 years moved back to 8:45 and yet we STILL don't depart the building until 9:20 or later. If this system takes longer then it would be way too much late air.
You're crazy if you think your center has any say in it

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
You're crazy if you think your center has any say in it

I don't think my center has any say in it. I just don't think it'll work. We can't even get out on time now and the scanners supposedly slow the preload down even more. How are they gonna make it work without us leaving every single day at 10am and having a ton of late air??

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't think my center has any say in it. I just don't think it'll work. We can't even get out on time now and the scanners supposedly slow the preload down even more. How are they gonna make it work without us leaving every single day at 10am and having a ton of late air??
"Get it done"

The usual response. The scanners in the end will slow people down at first, but eventually they'll get into a rhythm and it will be second nature. Just like it is for guys loading trailers.