New scanners destroying preload productivity

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our center, prior to these, packages would be marked "out for delivery" as early as 2 am when the preload started up... long before any packages made it to the cars. Now, they're marked "out for delivery" when the preloader scans them - hours later. Much more accurate, but still not actually right.

My load quality has improved, misloads are a fraction of what they were, but preload isn't finishing on time. They're going to have to either ditch the system, cheat the system or hire more people.

...or start the preload a bit earlier...

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Isn't it amazing that for decades the loaders would read the address on the package, know which one of the trucks it went on, and also know where to place it in the truck.

8 Hour Day

This right here is why I believe my center will never use this system. Our preload already never finishes on time. We've already had our start time which had been 8:30 for the last 10 years moved back to 8:45 and yet we STILL don't depart the building until 9:20 or later. If this system takes longer then it would be way too much late air.
You just described my center... we have 'em. It's coming.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This right here is why I believe my center will never use this system. Our preload already never finishes on time. We've already had our start time which had been 8:30 for the last 10 years moved back to 8:45 and yet we STILL don't depart the building until 9:20 or later. If this system takes longer then it would be way too much late air.

Your center has no say in this decision.

km3

...or start the preload a bit earlier...

That's not always going to be an option in buildings with a midnight sort. While preloaders may be able to get a head start emptying cages, most of the volume comes from the unloaders who belong to the sunrise sort. If midnight prevents them from starting on time, it's a lost cause.

On the Friday after Labor Day, midnight caused sunrise to start 90 minutes late. In the meantime, cages were basically empty over at preload since the bulk of our volume wasn't being touched yet.

Nightmare scenarios like that will be rare, but the point remains...if sunrise can't start until midnight is done, and they routinely cut it really close, starting preloaders earlier won't do a whole lot of good.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Your center has no say in this decision.

Do you :censored2:ing read before you post? FrigidFTsup already said the same thing to which I agreed that the my center doesn't make that decision. Take the advice you always give others and TTKU.

I'm just wondering how they're gonna make this work without having a ton of service failures seeing that our preload already finishes late. @8 Hour Day you said your center sounds just like mine, what's your start time and what time do you guys leave the building with the new system?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In attempt to reduce misloads in my center, we have implemented a god awful scanner process. Preloaders have to walk around with a belt and finger scanner, scanning every single package before putting them into the trucks. On top of taking upwards of 10 seconds for the scanners to capture the barcodes, it's now impossible for me (and everyone else on my belt) to work efficiently. I've been told that if we don't scan literally 100% of our packages, we will be written up. Has this happened at any of your centers?
They are free to hire more staffing, so don't worry about it.

dudebro

Isn't it amazing that for decades the loaders would read the address on the package, know which one of the trucks it went on, and also know where to place it in the truck.
They didn't. We just accepted the error rate they had, and now, that isn't good enough any more.

rod

Retired 22 years

This system worked for the 30 years I was there. Most days I had NO misloads and if there was and if it was way off area you would just enter it as "misloaded" and bring it back in. There was no down right lying about "emergency conditions" or any of the other lies like they are sheeted now. It wasn't the end of the world.

BostonBo

It's going to look bad on management when the "left in building" packages go wayyyyyy down AFTER the scanners are implemented.