New scanners destroying preload productivity

BostonBo

It's bad because most of the previous LIB's were fictitious. Now management will have to come up with new and creative ideas to hide the misloads so they aren't considered missed packages.

Teospal

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to just give every loader like 20 mins or so at the end or near the end of the shift to go through their trucks? Seriously, whenever I have time to go through my trucks I never get misloads. I'm sure paying the entire preload for an extra 20 mins has got to be less than shooting productivity to hell with scanning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's assume 30 preloaders all making $15/hr. You are talking an extra $150/day, $750/week, $3K/month, just to "double check" what should have been done right the first time.

There is a sign behind the counter at a local deli which asks, "Why is there never time to do it right the first time but always time to do it over?"

Teospal

Because no one is perfect. And that's especially so for the company and management. And from what the OP is saying, it sounds like these scanners are costing way more than an extra 20 mins. And when an entire sort center gets 40-50 misloads a day, paying the drivers to run those have to cost more than it would to pay preload an extra 20 mins.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Because no one is perfect. And that's especially so for the company and management. And from what the OP is saying, it sounds like these scanners are costing way more than an extra 20 mins. And when an entire sort center gets 40-50 misloads a day, paying the drivers to run those have to cost more than it would to pay preload an extra 20 mins.

Problem is, it would take way longer than 20 minutes for a loader to go through his four cars and check every single package. The way some of the cars are loaded, that would be impossible to do so anyway. You gonna check those 80 packages lip loaded and stacked to hell in section 7 on your tippy toes? What if the Preloader after checking for 20 minutes still missed a couple? What if there are 3 mis PAL'd packages? Preloader won't know the difference. The scanner machine apparently does. The 20 minute checking is just not a good enough permanent solution.

mrbrownstone

I would still like to know the technical reason that out of syncs happen?

Is it from recycled tracking numbers or something else?

dudebro

You vastly underestimate the cost of labor. That solution is 100k per day @12/hr. 2.5 million per year. More if we count any OT, pension, or benefits. The scanners won't cost that much.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I would still like to know the technical reason that out of syncs happen?

Is it from recycled tracking numbers or something else?
Can be a few reasons. One is the spa guy simply mixed up the package scanned and placed the wrong labels on the wrong package. Other is because the machine sputters and screws up. The former is more common than the latter, but both happen.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
LIBs are missed packages if they aren't attempted. Keep trying.
But they can be charged to the preload side of the operation rather than the on-road side. Service failures are fine at UPS as long as they show up on someone else's report and not yours.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A simpler solution than the scanners would have been to design the SPA label printers so that they sprayed a blot of colored ink on each label. Each preload assignment could then be color-coded, making misloads much easier to spot in a dimly-lit package car at 5:00AM.

dudebro

But they can be charged to the preload side of the operation rather than the on-road side. Service failures are fine at UPS as long as they show up on someone else's report and not yours.
In most package operations, the package DM has both the hub and the preload. Your conspiracy theory doesn't help the DM you say is cheating. In smaller operations, the manager has both preload and onroad. When that manager moves 10 dollars from one pocket to the other, is he/she richer?

UPS Preloader

Load quality is terrible in our hub after they went live with the scanners. It's obvious scanning every package slows them down. You think they slowed down the belts? Of course not. You think they hired enough people? Ha! How do the loaders make up that time? By just tossing it in the truck. Misloads are down but load quality got worse.

It's going live in my building in July. I have every intention of taking all the time necessary to load the truck properly.

watdaflock?

You get paid by the hour?

Don't you!
Drivers do too yet they bitch and whine about everything.

In attempt to reduce misloads in my center, we have implemented a god awful scanner process. Preloaders have to walk around with a belt and finger scanner, scanning every single package before putting them into the trucks. On top of taking upwards of 10 seconds for the scanners to capture the barcodes, it's now impossible for me (and everyone else on my belt) to work efficiently. I've been told that if we don't scan literally 100% of our packages, we will be written up. Has this happened at any of your centers?
Enjoy the overtime.