New Seasonal Driver Advice?

I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?

P

pickup

Original Poster: if what you are saying is true, continue the good work. Focus on that which you can control and let the chips fall where they may.

UPSGUY72

They will tell you anything and everything to get you to work harder and faster. If they told you you had no chance of becoming a FT driver or working for UPS after Jan 15.would you work as hard as you are now. I DON'T THINK SO.

The chances of a peak driver getting hired on as a FT driver after peak are about 0%. IF they keep any seasonal / casual drivers after peak they will be the ones that have been driving at UPS as a temp for a couple of years or at the minimum since June.

You might have a chance to work on the inside PT as a permanent employee but even that is a reach.

On the other hand if you don't produce good number and or just can't do the job your chance of getting hired on as a casual/ temp/ seasonal driver again are going to be about 0%.

jim_flint

Here's what you do:
First, have no accidents and no injuries.
Second, HAVE NO ACCIDENTS AND NO INJURIES.
Third, continue to work as hard and as efficiently as you can. Keep impressing your center team and anyone else with eyeballs. Courtesy, teamwork, and professionalism are your friends.
Fourth, and this is important, start lining up jobs that will start in mid January.
Fifth, after you get laid off in January, call your center manager regularly but not annoyingly to keep your name fresh on his mind.
Sixth, after a few months, probably by the summer, you might be offered a job. It might be another go at being casual, or it might be something permanent. It will depend on factors that are completely out of your control. Be honest with yourself and your center manager about what you're looking for and what you can compromise.
Seventh, your mileage may vary. You are not guaranteed anything come next year, but there was a huge number of off the street hires this year, and it looks like there will be a higher than normal number next year as well.

Man Of Brown

I was in your shoes last year. UPS hires 1 off the street driver for every 6 inside hires. Find out where they are at in the 1:6, how long the wait is for inside and work hard. Upsguy72 is right. You need to make a good impression for the future, whatever that is. I drove peak last year and then was hired on permanently in August. So it happens, just eventually.

Side note, when I started in August I went into it thinking "I drove peak, if I could handle that I'm good to go." Yeah peak was easier than the last few months. Its easier than you thought because they give you the easy stuff and the fact that you show up and haven't screw up the easy stuff means you're doing well.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?
Kiss their a__

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Im
Here's what you do:
First, have no accidents and no injuries.
Second, HAVE NO ACCIDENTS AND NO INJURIES.
Third, continue to work as hard and as efficiently as you can. Keep impressing your center team and anyone else with eyeballs. Courtesy, teamwork, and professionalism are your friends.
Fourth, and this is important, start lining up jobs that will start in mid January.
Fifth, after you get laid off in January, call your center manager regularly but not annoyingly to keep your name fresh on his mind.
Sixth, after a few months, probably by the summer, you might be offered a job. It might be another go at being casual, or it might be something permanent. It will depend on factors that are completely out of your control. Be honest with yourself and your center manager about what you're looking for and what you can compromise.
Seventh, your mileage may vary. You are not guaranteed anything come next year, but there was a huge number of off the street hires this year, and it looks like there will be a higher than normal number next year as well.
Impress, be honest, talk to as many people as possible and run like maniac .