New seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors

705red

Browncafe Steward
All I will say is that UPS will take care of who they want

The UNION has (had) a chance to take care of the employee

Hoffa left a gaping hole in the last 2 elections, let not there be a third
What better way to show Hoffa how we really feel about him than voting him out in a landslide?

Theres enough of us on here from all around the country to support a canidate together to right this sinking ship!

The internet is a great tool when used correctly, and im hoping we can see a bright light in the near future with canidates that understand our jobs and needs.

Until the next election!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
red

that is a great idea.

i nominate tieguy. what better person to have handle our contract with the company than one that knows the company inside out.

d

12:00commit

The one thing Ive been told as a new driver is that as long as you follow all the methods the worst thing that can happen is you will make more money. So thats what I do shut the bulkhead door use the seatbelt and not worry.

Big Babooba

I wonder what would happen if you spilled a can of pop into the brainbox on the truck,you know,accidentally?
Maybe I can get the car washer to hose out my cab and "accidentally" spray under the dash. Oh wait....what am I thinking?.....car washers washing trucks?... I must have been fantasizing again. Stupid me! Never mind.

My mechanic told me that there two parts to the system. The first is to keep an eye on us. The second for the shop. They get feedback as to how the truck is running. He said that he is already getting informed on which trucks might be having problems. He told me that UPS is using performance parameters that are tighter than the vehicle manufacturers. Even though no trouble codes have been logged by the computer, they have an idea what trouble may be lurking.+

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
bb

good post

as a matter of fact, ups is a leader in automotive research data. the data that we have on our vehicles go a long way to getting the builders to build a better and more durable truck with better milage. this is a great way for them to have a mountain of information on each vehicle that will also allow them to pick up on trends with the newer trucks.

i see it as a great tool for them, and a good way to "educate" the drivers that just refuse to listen when told.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS cannot use any information gained electronically (GPS in DIAD, these sensors in the PC, backup light sensors, micro-camera pointed at the driver) to discipline employees. This is in writing - it is also completely meaningless.

What UPS CAN do is use the electronic information as a tip-off - Joe's PC seems to be put in reverse way too often, let's follow him for a day - and if Joe is seen screwing up, then there is discipline.

It has been said previously here - correctly - that 1)If you are following the rules, you have nothing to worry about, and 2)The PC is owned by UPS, they can install whatever they want.

It is not the Big-Brother aspect that bothers me, but the complete and total disregard for employee morale. When employees are told there will be cuts, layoffs, but we're spending a fortune on ways to check up on you, that just ain't good. Happy employees make a better company, can there be any argument against that?

Bingo. They want drivers to get out there and get leads from dhl to grow "our business" but then on other fronts they make this job, which should be fairly simple, as complicated as heII. It is so frustrating....as far as im concerned employee morale starts with two simple words, thank you, but it just seems like they cant put those two words together.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
...and a good way to "educate" the drivers that just refuse to listen when told.

I agree that it will force driver's to follow the methods much more. But from my experience following the methods and meeting performance goals is a damn near impossible task. I did it but at the cost of great stress everyday.

Now, I know the company's expectations are borderline ridiculous and one should follow the methods no matter how much extra time it takes. But, in defense of driver's who do skip steps, they might do it because they want to get home in a reasonable amount of time or don't want to be hassled by management about their performance and are unable to accomplish either by doing the methods by the book.

I know, I know, it is said if they can't take it then they should quit. Maybe that's what the company truly wants, a constant turnover of employees. Actually, I think that is exactly what they want.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you think about it. Getting fired for a safety failure is a lot easier than getting fired for a performance failure. Firing a 20 year driver making top rate for a new guy in a 3-year progression. This makes the money counters drool.

With the economy today, there will be a lot more qualified people wanting a FT driver job (DHL drivers). Putting the squeeze on us drivers has never been more easier than it is now for the suits.

This has not only come up because of the economy but also the unions softer stance in the last couple contracts:angry:

pretzel_man

If you think about it. Getting fired for a safety failure is a lot easier than getting fired for a performance failure. Firing a 20 year driver making top rate for a new guy in a 3-year progression. This makes the money counters drool.

With the economy today, there will be a lot more qualified people wanting a FT driver job (DHL drivers). Putting the squeeze on us drivers has never been more easier than it is now for the suits.

This has not only come up because of the economy but also the unions softer stance in the last couple contracts:angry:

Please keep in mind that the system has been used on about 1500 drivers for quite a while now.

I'm aware of one termination. I've been in countless meetings on this system and we were never asked to look for anyone to terminate.

The system has multiple pieces:

First, there is automotive as was mentioned here. The mechanic gets a list of cars that are having problems based on the engine statistics. This avoids breakdowns.

Second, there is safety. Reports print on safety elements and I've never had a problem in this area. I want you and the community safe. Wear your seat belt, avoid unnecessary backing, follow methods. Again, this has not been an issue.

Third, is idle time. Shut off your engine at stops. Its amazing how much fuel is wasted by excess idling. This attention has caused me to be more careful in my own personal vehicle.

Fourth, is miles reduction, and this is the hardest... Depending on the local policy, don't drive off area (or trace) for lunch. Drive efficently between stops. Make good decisions on where to break trace.

The last area is the only one where I've seen conflicts arise because its the most subjective.

P-Man

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Third, is idle time. Shut off your engine at stops. Its amazing how much fuel is wasted by excess idling. This attention has caused me to be more careful in my own personal vehicle.
P-Man

I'm a big fan of saving fuel and protecting the enviornment, but I hope that in their quest to reduce idle time, the bean-counters are aware of the issues faced by those of us in northern climates.

Unlike most of the drivers in my building, my package car is parked outside on an MDU. Part of my AM routine this time of year is to have to scrape condensation and/or ice off of the outside and inside of my windshield. I frequently have to sit and idle for at least 10 minutes before the defroster will even begin to function. Until it does, I might as well be sitting blind inside of an ice cube.

I periodically get harassed because my AM time is so much longer than that of the drivers who are parked indoors. It gets old. UPS made a business decision to force 200+ routes into a facility that was designed to park 124. They have saved millions by postponing the construction of a new building, so they should quit bitching about a few extra minutes of AM and idle time on my part.

I have informed our "safety committee" that we need some squeegees and ice scrapers with long handles so that we can reach up far enough to clean the windshields in the AM. None have been provided, but the other day someone did affix a sticker to my steering wheel with a brand new acronym on it.

pretzel_man

I'm a big fan of saving fuel and protecting the enviornment, but I hope that in their quest to reduce idle time, the bean-counters are aware of the issues faced by those of us in northern climates.

Unlike most of the drivers in my building, my package car is parked outside on an MDU. Part of my AM routine this time of year is to have to scrape condensation and/or ice off of the outside and inside of my windshield. I frequently have to sit and idle for at least 10 minutes before the defroster will even begin to function. Until it does, I might as well be sitting blind inside of an ice cube.

I periodically get harassed because my AM time is so much longer than that of the drivers who are parked indoors. It gets old. UPS made a business decision to force 200+ routes into a facility that was designed to park 124. They have saved millions by postponing the construction of a new building, so they should quit bitching about a few extra minutes of AM and idle time on my part.

I have informed our "safety committee" that we need some squeegees and ice scrapers with long handles so that we can reach up far enough to clean the windshields in the AM. None have been provided, but the other day someone did affix a sticker to my steering wheel with a brand new acronym on it.

I would have no problem with what you described. Both from an AM time and idle time perspective.

I can't tell you what your local management will do. I've said many times that there will be management and hourly that will react to things irrationally. (When management does so, it causes much more problems than when an hourly employee does)

P-Man

Treegrower

Please keep in mind that the system has been used on about 1500 drivers for quite a while now.

I'm aware of one termination. I've been in countless meetings on this system and we were never asked to look for anyone to terminate.

The system has multiple pieces:

First, there is automotive as was mentioned here. The mechanic gets a list of cars that are having problems based on the engine statistics. This avoids breakdowns.

Second, there is safety. Reports print on safety elements and I've never had a problem in this area. I want you and the community safe. Wear your seat belt, avoid unnecessary backing, follow methods. Again, this has not been an issue.

Fourth, is miles reduction, and this is the hardest... Depending on the local policy, don't drive off area (or trace) for lunch. Drive efficently between stops. Make good decisions on where to break trace.

The last area is the only one where I've seen conflicts arise because its the most subjective.

P-Man
I am in the 4th instance. I am not allowed off area for ANY reason specically for lunch. Thus I do not have to make any decisions about breaking trace. I come damn near perfect 100% in trace 100% of the time. I have to take heat the space shuttle probably couldn't take. I tell them time and time again,"if you want the trace changed, YOU go out and change it." It's and incredible hassel to be sure but I don't pull to get off bulk stops or 6 piece sleep number beds or 8 piece, overweight, over size Potery barn. Those stops get delivered when that address comes up in the board.

I periodically get harassed because my AM time is so much longer than that of the drivers who are parked indoors.

I would make mgmt aware of the problem every time it occurs,which it sounds like you have, and file a harassment grievance every time they bring up your a.m. time. I would also take the time,on the clock, to go inside and find the appropriate means to safely climb up and reach the complete window when you clean it such as a stepladder or loadstand. Gosh forbid you should fall or slip on some frost and cause a workplace injury.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree that it will force driver's to follow the methods much more. But from my experience following the methods and meeting performance goals is a damn near impossible task. I did it but at the cost of great stress everyday.

Now, I know the company's expectations are borderline ridiculous and one should follow the methods no matter how much extra time it takes. But, in defense of driver's who do skip steps, they might do it because they want to get home in a reasonable amount of time or don't want to be hassled by management about their performance and are unable to accomplish either by doing the methods by the book.

I know, I know, it is said if they can't take it then they should quit. Maybe that's what the company truly wants, a constant turnover of employees. Actually, I think that is exactly what they want.
Than maybe these drivers should grow a set of stones and utilize the contract with the 8 hour requests and sign up for 9.5s.

They will not lose their jobs for being over,,,, however eventually they might for not wearing a seatbelt, leacing the bulkhead open and leaving the truck running!

Why take a chance on losing your job so that your center can make these numbers? Do you think the center really cares how you do it? Do you think they will back you when your out for a couple of months? Will your center team pay your bills when your out? No to all the above!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ive had it on my truck since June 2007. No problems yet. Dont expect any. And I am surely not perfect. I rarely if ever dont use my seat belt, I occasionally forget my door, but never leave it open at a stop. Sometimes I even reach to shut it when its already shut, so when I do leave it open it is an accident. So when they nick me for it could I lose my job? Maybe, I guess. But I just dont worry about it. Anymore, I used to worry alot. The job is hard enough without stressing myself more.
Same with trace. If it makes sense Im on it, if it doesnt I do the way it makes sense. I as all of you have to pull at times for closures whatever. It needs work, but I keep submitting changes and I guess they dont agree, so no one makes them. Just another number that they worry about, I dont.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would make mgmt aware of the problem every time it occurs,which it sounds like you have, and file a harassment grievance every time they bring up your a.m. time. I would also take the time,on the clock, to go inside and find the appropriate means to safely climb up and reach the complete window when you clean it such as a stepladder or loadstand. Gosh forbid you should fall or slip on some frost and cause a workplace injury.

I found an old broom laying around somewhere and jury-rigged it by taping an ice scraper to the end of the handle. There are 10 drivers parked on my MDU, and every morning in the winter we all stand around making almost $30 an hour waiting our for our turn to use my broom-handle ice scraper. I have pointed out to management and the "safety committee" on numerous occasions that whatever money they spent on giving every driver a scraper would pay for itself pretty quickly, but I guess its just easier for them to pretend that the problem doesnt exist. I have actually gotten to the point where I can enjoy standing around, drinking coffee, and BS'sing with my coworkers----on the clock.:smart: