New sick days policy?

nate4027

This morning our preload supervisor informed us of an email he got from "corporate" stating that the first time we call in sick we will be written up, second time will be suspension and third time will be termination. Now I know we do not technically get sick days. I have referred to the contract but cannot find where it states calling in sick regulations. Is this true or are they just trying some more scare tactics? BTW I got to see the email that was sent to my supervisor and it is so vague and doesn't even mention preload at all. Thanks!

UPSGUY72

This morning our preload supervisor informed us of an email he got from "corporate" stating that the first time we call in sick we will be written up, second time will be suspension and third time will be termination. Now I know we do not technically get sick days. I have referred to the contract but cannot find where it states calling in sick regulations. Is this true or are they just trying some more scare tactics? BTW I got to see the email that was sent to my supervisor and it is so vague and doesn't even mention preload at all. Thanks!

The company just can't make up new rules becasue they feel like it. We have a contract with them they just can't change it. I would say something to your shop steward to let them know what is going on.

nate4027

Do you know where in the contract it says that? I will try to get ahold of the shop steward but sometimes I don't get a chance to.

If it sounds like bull,smells like bull,spreads on crackers like bull,then its bull. Tell your sup you`ll grieve every instance.

PHILA LOCAL

this morning our preload supervisor informed us of an email he got from "corporate" stating that the first time we call in sick we will be written up, second time will be suspension and third time will be termination. Now i know we do not technically get sick days. I have referred to the contract but cannot find where it states calling in sick regulations. Is this true or are they just trying some more scare tactics? Btw i got to see the email that was sent to my supervisor and it is so vague and doesn't even mention preload at all. Thanks!

u cant tell your sup. **********.. If u dont have a attendance problem they cant do nothing about u calling off. Get with your shop stewert and notify him/her about the bull **** they told u today. All because they are all running around with their tails between their legs not knowing if they r going to be with ups much longer... Tell your sup. To look 4 a new job he might be getting laid off.

Last edited by a moderator:

helenofcalifornia

Same thing was told to us at our center. No more RTO's to see doctors or just to get the day off if they have too many drivers scheduled. If we want a day off we now have to use an option day from our vacation. (Like that is going to happen!) And we too will be written up if we use our sick days. (that alone is kinda sick)
I am keeping a daily diary of who is off, how they write it up in the books, who is sick, "planned sick," and scheduled off. Very odd way of keeping track of who is working and who isn't.
I can't see how they can change the rules in the middle of the "sick days year." (We get 9 new sick days on July 1.) If they had told us this July 1, perhaps I would still have some sick days left. Whenever I took a day off because it was available, THEY put me down for sick, not me. I went along because that's the way it always has been done.
Don't change the rules in the middle of the year. Not fair.
UPS, what has become of you?

No paid sick days here. Ours were combined into an "option" week of vacation years ago. We still follow the 3/6/9 rule here and even then you have to abuse absences to get attention.

L

Loufan

I would hope not, I called in twice this week because of Bronchitis. I missed Tuesday came in work dead sick wednesday and my sup told me to take today off and get rested up. Hopefully i'll be back feeling better tomorrow, and without being written up. I did so well too. 6 months without one call in. I was impressed with my self. lol

SWORDFISH

They have you believing you dont have sick days. Look on your paycheck there is a place where the sick hrs accumulate. Always keep in touch w/ a senior memeber at UPS. Managements tactics have gotten rediculously deceptive.

They have you believing you dont have sick days. Look on your paycheck there is a place where the sick hrs accumulate. Always keep in touch w/ a senior memeber at UPS. Managements tactics have gotten rediculously deceptive.
it depends on what supplement applies to your area. In our supplement we have 7 option days with three ways to use them. What option you take is decided by you in October ( I think) for the next year. Option one is to use it as a weeks vacation, Option two is to sell the option week and continue to work, option three is to take the days in one day increments with five of those days preferred as sick days. Preferred is a key word. Since these days are yours in the contract, you can not be punished for using them. The company want you to believe they can discipline you for using these days, but it has never stuck.
Read your supplement, talk to you BA and get the right answer before you need to call in.
We had a couple of people fired for using three days in a row once. They were gone a few days shy of a year, ended up with full back pay and full reinstatement of their benefits, including vacation payouts for that year, vacation credit for the next year and seniority/retirement accumulation for the missed year.

heyyou1

read the contract if you are paying member you have a right to a copy of the contract. if you dont understand what it is saying go to a steward and ask there are some good managers at UPS but in all of my years at UPS I have never put much in what most say in management. dont let them run over top of you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
read the contract if you are paying member you have a right to a copy of the contract. if you dont understand what it is saying go to a steward and ask there are some good managers at UPS but in all of my years at UPS I have never put much in what most say in management. dont let them run over top of you.

Hey you,
Welcome to BC.
Stewards can often provide specific answers and advice to UPSers on questions related to the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here we get 4 personal and 5 sick days and can use them in any way that we choose. I applaud the discontinuing of so-called "dead days" as I believe that if you take a day off you should use one of your paid days and if you run out of paid days you run out of days off. Yes, it does impact the casual drivers, but I have had the experience where I have requested a day off and been denied only to find out that the driver who was off that day had no paid days left.

bluehdmc

If you are sick, you are sick. There was a PCM a few months ago referring to the swine flu, that said if your were sick to stay home and not risk getting your co-workers sick. (I should have made a copy of it.)
Basically an employer could discipline you for excessive days off, but if they give you a letter for calling in the first time I'm sure that definetly would be considered harrassement.
I got a t/w for taking too many days off, one of the things my sup said was (since I had too many absences) that if I came in sick and puked all over the counter or something, then went home, it was better than calling in sick.

I would hope not, I called in twice this week because of Bronchitis. I missed Tuesday came in work dead sick wednesday and my sup told me to take today off and get rested up. Hopefully i'll be back feeling better tomorrow, and without being written up. I did so well too. 6 months without one call in. I was impressed with my self. lol

Technically you didn`t call in twice. When your sup told you to take today off and rest it became an excused absence which doesn`t count.