New Sick Time Policy?

Our manager recently told us that we no longer had unlimited (not like we really did anyway) sick time. We were told that now after 5 sick days that you would have to start using your 5 discretionary days. So if you used 6 sick days, now you only have 4 discretionary days. Has anyone else heard this? Is it a new policy for management?

softshoe

Our manager recently told us that we no longer had unlimited (not like we really did anyway) sick time. We were told that now after 5 sick days that you would have to start using your 5 discretionary days. So if you used 6 sick days, now you only have 4 discretionary days. Has anyone else heard this? Is it a new policy for management?

Ask your mgr to show you where this is stated in the contract.

ismahchyk

Ok lessons in labor law here:
If a company hasn't *explicitly* stated a change in a defined benefit (and the sick time is a defined benefit) then a local management team CANNOT come up with their own sick time policy. Ask any labor lawyer...........

Opinion: request from your management documentation (chapter/verse) where and how has this benefit changed. If they dance around the issue a confidential visit to HR is in order!

randomUPSISer

I've heard rumor that this year "Sick time wont be unlimited". However, only rumors. You know how reliable those are. Maybe 20-30% hit rate on them at best?

That being said, we've not been told that. Our sick time is still "unlimited". (i.e. it hasn't changed, obviously there is a limit in there somewhere)

Taking away unlimited sick time is about the only thing left for them to take from IS'ers isn't it???

ismahchyk

that be true

Unless what you're b.tchin about could be basis for a MAJOR suit

Making own rules which are contrary to a STATED and DOCUMENTED company policy is a big nono........

ismahchyk

go to UPSERS from what I remember it was under My Life or the equivalent these days. Our mgmt was on a tear on that also - that is until someone with chronic health issues went to HR and started to complain about the harrassment about the sick time. By the way there is an exception report that goes out for people who take more than 5 days in a calender year. My bets your management doesn't want to be on that report.

As I said look under UPSERS and a "confidential" visit to HR will get the matter fixed.