New Style Package Car

Do you like this package car?

• Yes

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 46.8%

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mechanic Supe says UPS wants a 4cyl. turbo diesel. They met with Catepiller and were told that wouldn't be financially possible to make a special engine just for UPS. Isuzu already makes one and this is what the engineers came up with. They're trying to standardize their fleet. One motor and drivetrain. With all the changing emission standards both federal and the differing state regulations you can imagine how much UPS pays in fees to run the older pkg.cars. It'll be cheaper to crush old ones even though they're built better than these new ones. Bottom line is they want to build a cheaper car and not worry about it lasting 20+ years anymore.
You never forget your first piece of arse and you never forget your first package car. This one won't make you forget either.

Prison?

BigUPS

PT Cover Driver
HEY just wanted to comment that this truck I am currently using on my rout and it has some awesome features but mine is falling apart as of today lol. The auto
Unlock for the over head door slams back on ur fingers... there is no latch to keep it open.... my back door broke today .... and the hood keeps UNlatching lol. The truck on full throttle crawls up a steep hill no more than at 15mph. But besides that its a eye catcher and is decent

barnyard

KTM rider
I hope the decision is made to buy something soon. We have so many red-tagged that we have cut routes because there is not a truck to deliver them in.

I am to the place where I HATE going to work everyday. Hate it.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
It only made it a couple of days here in Livonia, MI they're shipping it off to Flint, MI I hear. Driver says bulk head door size too small to get in and out easily carrying packages. The guy from Isuzu told me UPS was the "Only 1" with these 1/2 dozen prototypes, I saw FedEx Express with 1 today, now I have to stalk FedEx to get a photo :)

brownelf

heck all our halfway decent pkg cars were sent to the rural routes in the last few years, we now have a collection of pkg cars that the Henry Ford Museum would be proud to have. Nothing like spending 10+hr days in an old P800/1000 w/manual steering and the 22" step. And for some strange reason they can't understand why we've been having alot of shoulder injuries lately.

EmerCond421

Any further info on this vehicle? We're suppose to get some new package cars in the next month and curious if there were any further observations. GVW, MPG, drivers' air bag, ergonomics? I know it's been 3 weeks since first post but just wondering...

Dustyroads

025.jpgEmerg Cond...I thought this might be your new ride...I saw them going west on I70 heading your way. That's a Ford truck chassis.
025.jpg

EmerCond421

Dusty; 4 wheel drive would be great in the snow, sand and mud. Have driven them a few times and it would work probably 90% of the time. Won't hold my breath tho, that would be too logical. P57 died, now at air hub awaiting engine. Put me in a workhorse a couple times (<8 MPG) - too much gas used had to fill-up 3 times and then gas card limit was reached and couldn't fill once back in town; had used 44 gallons. P57 International not too bad about 12 MPG, certainly not as comfy or economical (20 MPG) as '06 Sprinter!

Dustyroads

Geez...Emer, you didn't get much time out of that last engine, wasn't it just about a year old? My 57 is running great, the best package car in the building. I was out last week in a 50 mph crosswind...that fat sway bar on the rear worked really well. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Dustyroads

A sub ran my route last week one day in a workhorse, had to put $75 in gas in the car...the 57 would have come in with a quarter tank or more left. Unfortunately, gas milage is often just lip service talk in the real world.

EmerCond421

Yes sir, 10 days past 1 year warranty, mechanic and his supe fought for 2 weeks w/ dealership to get new engine, got it ok'ed, then powers to be decided to send it to the air hub.... We have no spare cars, using P57 that goes to local airport which then means I'm leaving about 15-30 minutes late daily than the other routes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was on a hunting trip in Montana about 12 years ago, and ran into the local UPS driver. He was driving a 4x4 Suburban with the seats removed and a peak season "UPS" sticker on each door. He told me that for 8 months out of the year he was in a P32, and then when the snow got bad the company would rent a Suburban from the local dealership and put a set of snow tires on it.