New Surepost Procedures implemented on Monday, 09-14-15?

10 point

You really think a PTer working the preload really cares whether they load the packages on to a pkg car or in to a bag? In fact, they probably prefer loading them in to bags-----much easier.
If the extra volume means more ft jobs.... Yes, they should care and many do.

The issue I'm talking about is that ft drivers should care as well.

At least the same percentage that vote on the CBA should? (I figured that statement was coming next.)

We all should police our own contract unless you are just along for the ride, and too many are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How are we as drivers supposed to police this? Whenever I see a Surepost package while making a DR I always look at the PAL to see what date it was processed and think back to see if I had any proximity packages that day. For the most part the answer is no.

Are you saying that we should refuse to deliver any Surepost that exceeds the contractual size and weight limits? I assure you that this would never happen.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
In my center. The union is allowing UPS to use sure post packages as a dispatch tool. Every day there are 100 plus boxes stuffed into a corner. Some wait 2days to be loaded. During x Mas it will be close to 300. So, the union is just as much to blame. Just as anyone else. I say dump it. Go back to delivering all of our packages. Only ones making money is the post office

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my center. The union is allowing UPS to use sure post packages as a dispatch tool. Every day there are 100 plus boxes stuffed into a corner. Some wait 2days to be loaded. During x Mas it will be close to 300. So, the union is just as much to blame. Just as anyone else. I say dump it. Go back to delivering all of our packages. Only ones making money is the post office

That's not the union----that is one of the changes in the contract. Supposedly those packages are being held as they are anticipating more packages for the same address.

10 point

How are we as drivers supposed to police this? Whenever I see a Surepost package while making a DR I always look at the PAL to see what date it was processed and think back to see if I had any proximity packages that day. For the most part the answer is no.

Are you saying that we should refuse to deliver any Surepost that exceeds the contractual size and weight limits? I assure you that this would never happen.
Last peak told me plenty about surepost violations being used to diminish our dispatch.

I happened to see several business stops, duplicate stops, and proximity as well as current same stop pkgs I had to deliver to the rural post offices (3) as I was scanning. The one that tipped me off was the funeral home coffee shipment that I was delivering to them all summer now going to the p.o.
There were a couple that weighed 40 and 60+#s that day too.
As I looked thru the bulk (punched in a break) I found a lot of the pkgs that were supposed to come back to the UPS driver to deliver were being sent to the post office. The management made SURE that we weren't going to have the missed stops we had the year prior by shipping great volumes to the p.o. by design.

This is wrong and I've been documenting it daily now.

The company tried to train too many new drivers in a few weeks last year and we had three avoidables in short time thus making it pretty tough to get all the work done by the regular drivers.
Subcontracting seemed to be the escape route and they did it with abandon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last peak told me plenty about surepost violations being used to diminish our dispatch.

I happened to see several business stops, duplicate stops, and proximity as well as current same stop pkgs I had to deliver to the rural post offices (3) as I was scanning. The one that tipped me off was the funeral home coffee shipment that I was delivering to them all summer now going to the p.o.
There were a couple that weighed 40 and 60+#s that day too.
As I looked thru the bulk (punched in a break) I found a lot of the pkgs that were supposed to come back to the UPS driver to deliver were being sent to the post office. The management made SURE that we weren't going to have the missed stops we had the year prior by shipping great volumes to the p.o. by design.

This is wrong and I've been documenting it daily now.

The company tried to train too many new drivers in a few weeks last year and we had three avoidables in short time thus making it pretty tough to get all the work done by the regular drivers.
Subcontracting seemed to be the escape route and they did it with abandon.

Fair enough.

10 point

If the company didn't want to agree with the Art 26 changes they shouldn't have agreed to it.

Instead, they seemingly go ahead and break the agreed upon language when it's conveniently not visible.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

In my area Smart Post is delivered to the USPSs by sub-sub contractors (not a typo) in large beat up moving vans. They back up to the docks and pull pallet loads off. At the rural locations they back up to the rear door and place a package basket thingy behind the truck and simply push the packages on the pallets and watch them tumble into the baskets. They, from what I've seen so far, don't have enough room for much more (if we got rid of SurePost). The shady looking, greasy, morbidly obese characters that drive those trucks while wearing stained wife beaters often call the USPS and say they aren't coming because of vehicle problems. And this is our competition!!!

Freakin outrageous!

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
In my area Smart Post is delivered to the USPSs by sub-sub contractors (not a typo) in large beat up moving vans. They back up to the docks and pull pallet loads off. At the rural locations they back up to the rear door and place a package basket thingy behind the truck and simply push the packages on the pallets and watch them tumble into the baskets. They, from what I've seen so far, don't have enough room for much more (if we got rid of SurePost). The shady looking, greasy, morbidly obese characters that drive those trucks while wearing stained wife beaters often call the USPS and say they aren't coming because of vehicle problems. And this is our competition!!!

Freakin outrageous!
Where? Alaska?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem to me is the proximity packages. If I'm from a town of 100k people I know the drivers in that town are driving down virtually every road in that town at some point.

How then are we dropping of 100+ bags of surepost a day? Almost 100% of that volume is "close proximity". Realistically there's almost no way to police it after its in the bags.

Here's what I would suggest. At any point and time the union can request a printout of all sure post packages for the day with their final destination plotted on a map. Also on the map would be all of the regular stops for that day. Anything within 1/10th mile or so from another stop that goes surepost? The company has to pay a fine.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The problem to me is the proximity packages. If I'm from a town of 100k people I know the drivers in that town are driving down virtually every road in that town at some point.

How then are we dropping of 100+ bags of surepost a day? Almost 100% of that volume is "close proximity". Realistically there's almost no way to police it after its in the bags.

Here's what I would suggest. At any point and time the union can request a printout of all sure post packages for the day with their final destination plotted on a map. Also on the map would be all of the regular stops for that day. Anything within 1/10th mile or so from another stop that goes surepost? The company has to pay a fine.
Put them on the 9.5 list.

10 point

If they are "proximity" packages, no drivers will be added.
Current drivers will just suck it up.
Not so fast Photog.

Metro vs rural.

And, the routes are still being dispatched by stop count here. The PDS cant rely on "the system" to accurately dispatch miles and stops together for an accurate assessment of a planned day.

There's also multiple pkg stops being sent to surepost. The whole thing ìs suspect if any of it is.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was told that if drivers or preload employees find oversized or overweight surepost pkgs on the belt and diverted to the p.o. we are able to immediately take them to "the clerk" and have them redirected to our drivers for final mile delivery that day.

Our center runs the P.O. pkgs when the preload is trying to wrap up. The drivers aren't on the belt yet and the loaders just want to go home.