New Surepost Procedures implemented on Monday, 09-14-15?

10 point

Our center runs the P.O. pkgs when the preload is trying to wrap up. The drivers aren't on the belt yet and the loaders just want to go home.
An option to divert Art 26 pkgs back to the ups system is better than just sitting on grievances. Getting volume diverted and killing AM time would not be a plus for the PDS but now it can be done contractually.
Someone has to to it.

It's not like M&Ms. The pkgs don't jump into the chocolate by themselves.

10 point

You just don't get it. The vast majority of PTers can't wait to get out the door and couldn't care less who delivers the packages. Most of the FTers feel the same.
I GET IT.
It isn't about who will do it.
It's about the availability to divert.
Our preload employees will do it and especially the Decap ones that handle most of the surepost.
We have some pters that have over 20 yrs seniority and many that care to get a ft job who are new.
It takes leadership to keep folks involved and if your pt and ft employees don't care about contract violations that's your deal.
You can't say that the union's leadership isn't trying to address surepost issues.

Your comments parallel the voting percentages.
No wonder the ship has holes in it.

10 point

My comments are based on the reality that the vast majority of PTers simply don't care enough to do anything about it.
That's your reality.
It's not that way everywhere.

The memo says that an additional 385,000 surepost pkgs (28% of all surepost pkgs) have been routed back into our system in July an Aug PER DAY.

Evidently some employees are picking up your slack?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's your reality.
It's not that way everywhere.

The memo says that an additional 385,000 surepost pkgs (28% of all surepost pkgs) have been routed back into our system in July an Aug PER DAY.

Evidently some employees are picking up your slack?

The software has been revised hence the diversion numbers.

upschuck

They have the ability to get 90% right, they choose not to. Packages get dim wt'ed when unloaded in a hub, that information can be used to divert packages to where they are suppose to be.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They have the ability to get 90% right, they choose not to. Packages get dim wt'ed when unloaded in a hub, that information can be used to divert packages to where they are suppose to be.
I'm curious what about oversized or over 10 lbs packages that have P.O. Box for their addresses.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Well, we had NOT a word about sure post today. Had a wonderful day. Punched out at 5:30 with 90 stops. So I suppose nothing changed

Comeand Takeit

smoking without tires at light speed
I have a copy of the Memo. This began today. States that pkgs exceeding 3 cubic feet and/or 10 pounds can be removed from Surepost and put on final destination truck. This can be implemented by any Rank & File member discovering the pkg. Communication from the Locals through Stewards to the Rank & File is the key to holding mgt to the contract!

:onitswaysmiley:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have a copy of the Memo. This began today. States that pkgs exceeding 3 cubic feet and/or 10 pounds can be removed from Surepost and put on final destination truck. This can be implemented by any Rank & File member discovering the pkg. Communication from the Locals through Stewards to the Rank & File is the key to holding mgt to the contract!

:onitswaysmiley:
image.jpg

The union should pass these out.

Comeand Takeit

smoking without tires at light speed
Memo
To: All UPS Local Unions
Director, Package Division Date: September 11, 2015
Re: New SurePost Procedures
On Monday, September 14, 2015, UPS will be announcing new SurePost procedures that should help eliminate any problems with oversize and overweight SurePost packages. As you are aware, this contract we negotiated language that limits the size of SurePost packages that can be given to the Post Office for final mile delivery to 3 cubic feet and less than 10 pounds. In addition, UPS has begun to redirect SurePost packages going to the same address as regular ground packages or an address nearby.
This has resulted in thousands of packages being redirect back onto UPS package cars. During the months of July and August, 385,000 packages a day were redirected back to UPS package cars for Teamsters to deliver, which is 28% of total SurePost volume.
However, we were still receiving complaints that many packages that do not fit the SurePost criteria are slipping through and ending up at the Post Office. After many conversations and negotiating sessions with UPS, I am happy to announce that on Monday, UPS will set out new procedures that will allow Teamster members to remove a package from the belt and have it redirected back onto a package car for final mile delivery if it does not fit the SurePost criteria. This means that if a pre-loader or driver sees a package that is clearly more than 10 pounds and/or larger than three cubic feet, they can remove the package from the belt, take it to a clerk and it will be put on a UPS package car for final delivery instead of going to the Post Office.
This is a big step in the right direction and should put thousands of more packages back onto UPS trucks for our members to deliver.
As the new procedures are implemented, please contact the Package Division at 202-624-8755 if there are any issues or problems.