New swing driver premium (Express)

big time

With the October raises, they took away the swing driver premium (.30 per hour). In meetings with District Director and Senior Manager they mention the company will be rolling out a greater premium for swings. They're having trouble retaining good swing drivers. This will be a hefty bonus for swings they say, but they never have specifics on how much and when. It's all just talk! Has anyone out there heard specifics?

Purplepackage

With the October raises, they took away the swing driver premium (.30 per hour). In meetings with District Director and Senior Manager they mention the company will be rolling out a greater premium for swings. They're having trouble retaining good swing drivers. This will be a hefty bonus for swings they say, but they never have specifics on how much and when. It's all just talk! Has anyone out there heard specifics?

I haven't heard anything like that, my new step 10 rate is 29.80 or something like that now (won't matter soon I'm transferring and downgrading to part time)

Star B

White Lightening
Swing premiums should be done station by station and employee by employee. A swing that knows and does all SRA routes should be paid more than a swing that can only do DRA routes with maps.

SmithBarney

I heard about it. I'll believe it when I see it on my check...
This is my exact response, I've heard it from a Senior as well.

It's more about enticing more senior and experienced drivers into the swing "program" if I were to guess about 50% of current swings are hired off the street, and FDX is losing as fast than they can hire them.

Purplepackage

This is my exact response, I've heard it from a Senior as well.

It's more about enticing more senior and experienced drivers into the swing "program" if I were to guess about 50% of current swings are hired off the street, and FDX is losing as fast than they can hire them.

What exactly is the swing program? Is that for 6 months out of the year you'll probably work over 50 hours a week but for the other 6 months you'll work less than 40? Lol it's feast or famine

DeliveryException

Our senior made a comment, back before the new raises went live, to the effect of that corporate was toying with the idea of having swings their own vacation schedules. Sounds like a decent way to get a good week here and there. I doubt the implementation would work in the swings favor.

whatwhat

Our senior made a comment, back before the new raises went live, to the effect of that corporate was toying with the idea of having swings their own vacation schedules. Sounds like a decent way to get a good week here and there. I doubt the implementation would work in the swings favor.
My station already does this, if you look at the People Manual (I think its that one) its up to the senior to have all couriers + swings in one giant vacation schedule or to separate them.

Slick silver

Yeah when I was a swing, we had our own vacation bidding. Granted I only had a 2 weeks and a couple personal and floaters, but I had basically any week I wanted. Except the really good ones like day after thanksgiving, Memorial Day or Labor Day.

DeliveryException

I wish we would have had separate bids while I was a swing. After having been one for a few years even that wouldn't entice me back. I'll suffer through bad vacation weeks to have my regular route.

Yomama11

They need to implement a time period of being a swing where you don't lose your swing pay if you take a route.swings should also get an extra paid week off. swings that transfer to another station in a lower market level and stay a swing should not lose any pay. Every year you stay a swing you will automatically get an extra .50 cents added to your hourly rate.These are just a few ideas but I'm sure fedex will come up with stuff way better than this

fdxsux

They need to implement a time period of being a swing where you don't lose your swing pay if you take a route.swings should also get an extra paid week off. swings that transfer to another station in a lower market level and stay a swing should not lose any pay. Every year you stay a swing you will automatically get an extra .50 cents added to your hourly rate.These are just a few ideas but I'm sure fedex will come up with stuff way better than this
Maybe they could give them the sun, the moon, and the stars too.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You think FedEx will come up with something better, huh? You're new aren't you???

fdxsux

FedEx should should start by giving swing drivers the full pay increase up front. As it is you don't get the full $2 and change until you are topped out( never). You get it little by little as you advance through the range. When you sign your offer letter you should get the full $2.30/hr extra right away. Then if you downgrade to a courier you should lose it all. If you let people keep their swing pay after going back to being a courier their is no incentive to remain a swing.

whenIgetthere

FedEx should should start by giving swing drivers the full pay increase up front. As it is you don't get the full $2 and change until you are topped out( never). You get it little by little as you advance through the range. When you sign your offer letter you should get the full $2.30/hr extra right away. Then if you downgrade to a courier you should lose it all. If you let people keep their swing pay after going back to being a courier their is no incentive to remain a swing.

Agree, but most of us who have 'downgraded' from swing, took a much larger hit than the swing premiums. I have said this before, I took a swing position four years ago, I got an extra 7 cents/hour, plus the 30 cent/hour premium. I was a swing for less than two years at this station (was a swing for ten at my previous station), when I took the route, I naturally lost the 30/cent premium, but I also lost $1.95/hour pay. I was fed the quartile BS, and how I wasn't really a courier when I was a swing. I signed the offer letter so I could get some semblance of a life back.

Yomama11

Great
Great concept
Agree, but most of us who have 'downgraded' from swing, took a much larger hit than the swing premiums. I have said this before, I took a swing position four years ago, I got an extra 7 cents/hour, plus the 30 cent/hour premium. I was a swing for less than two years at this station (was a swing for ten at my previous station), when I took the route, I naturally lost the 30/cent premium, but I also lost $1.95/hour pay. I was fed the quartile BS, and how I wasn't really a courier when I was a swing. I signed the offer letter so I could get some semblance of a life back.
And after that they want us to deliver the purple promise.Fedex needs to show and give the purple promise to its employees instead of screwing us left and right..7 cent raise is nuts to become a swing.especially when other couriers got a full $1