new temporary driver - female input appreciated!

Hello!

I just got hired as a temporary driver for the holidays, I was wondering if there are any female drivers here wanting to give me some tips and advice as I am a female and noticed not many female drivers in my place of work!!

Thanks! I'm really excited about this job!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't be scared to ask the mechanic to adjust your seat forward. They can be moved. Keep smiling and work hard. A positive attitude will help you get through the muck that will, invariably, come with the job. Customers can be very helpful. Listen to them. If you work in a cold environment, layers. You will be adding and removing all day. Bring fluids, stay hydrated. Eat a banana. Seriously. Above all, welcome to the family. Good luck.

Me

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't be afraid to use your womanly assets to your advantage, especially at bulk pickup stops.
Did I read this correctly? You have beyond mocked me for this exact same thing. Are you setting her up for future mocking, too?

BTW Harvestmoon, use whatever assets God was nice enough to give you to get the job done safely.

bigbrownhen

Welcome Moon...best of luck to you in your new job. Follow the "do the job safely" advice. We have to be tougher than most women. I was raised on a farm and worked in the trucking industry before I started driving for UPS, so physically I was prepared. Mentally, not so much. It is very stressful with ALOT of info thrown at you all at once. Just be safe and as effecient as possible. You will be overwhelmed at first, just know we all were.

Get a good pair of boots or shoes. If you work in a colder climate, waterproof hiking boots work well.

One of the best tips for being female: Know where the clean bathrooms are. If your gonna run out in the country for a big loop, go before you leave town. Dont buy a cup of coffee or soda to take with you, I learned this the hard way. We can't find a tree or use a bottle like the boys.

Yes, Hen, you can. It`s just a matter of ingenuity.

Harvest, Have a sense of humor.

Don`t freak out if some one lets a curse slip (within reason), toss one out yourself once in a while if you`d like.

As far as what the other ladies have mentioned ,use your assets to your advantage. Now for the male side of that coin, use them sparingly. If you do the job to the best of your ability and honestly need help then we will come a running. If you turn into "Gosh, this envelope is heavy and I might break a nail,tee hee" then that will get old quick as no one wants to do their job and yours as well and it will eventually backfire.

Stay organized. It`s easier to figure out what you have to do if you if it`s not in some jumbled panic inducing pile.

Your safety is first.

Don`t try and drive fast to look good and make time consuming mistakes. Be smooth and do it right the first time and you`ll end up finishing quicker.

Find out the contract and learn what applies to you. Yes you are a temp but there`s still things that apply to you and protect you.

It`s a tough job that will break your mind,body,and soul if you let it. Be careful and do your best.

Thanks everybody for the great tips and advice! I'm really looking forward to this, I will come back to read this thread after I start to give me reminders!

The place I was hired at has a couple of permanent positions available after the holidays so that's what I am aiming for, I just gotta keep my head up.

I was reading something about skipping my lunch to make faster times? Do you old school folks agree with that to give me a better chance at getting hired permanently or is that just mule crap?

Thanks again!

TheKid

Seek advice from drivers that have been successful. If you see a guy walking around complaining and getting called in the office every day . . . stay away. Find someone or maybe a few drivers that "get it" and pick their brains.

bigbrownhen

Being female has it's advantages yes. At construction sites for sure. Several heavy boxes of supplies or overweight tools, we ladies tend to get help from the workers before a male driver would.

I have a few places on my route that they don't even bother to get up and open the door though, no matter what I am draggin in there. I can handle it, it's my job. I always make sure to thank the ones who are conciterate though. Kindness goes along way.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, Hen, you can. It`s just a matter of ingenuity.

Harvest, Have a sense of humor.
(yes boss)

Don`t freak out if some one lets a curse slip (within reason), toss one out yourself once in a while if you`d like.
yes boss

As far as what the other ladies have mentioned ,use your assets to your advantage. Now for the male side of that coin, use them sparingly. If you do the job to the best of your ability and honestly need help then we will come a running. If you turn into "Gosh, this envelope is heavy and I might break a nail,tee hee" then that will get old quick as no one wants to do their job and yours as well and it will eventually backfire.
okay boss

Stay organized. It`s easier to figure out what you have to do if you if it`s not in some jumbled panic inducing pile.
common sense

Your safety is first.
actually it is third, behind production and telematics results

Don`t try and drive fast to look good and make time consuming mistakes. Be smooth and do it right the first time and you`ll end up finishing quicker.
good point

Find out the contract and learn what applies to you. Yes you are a temp but there`s still things that apply to you and protect you.
good point

It`s a tough job that will break your mind,body,and soul if you let it. Be careful and do your best.
and SPORH must be at least 30 with that increased peak stop count density

good luck harvestmoon!

rod

Retired 22 years
Being female has it's advantages yes. At construction sites for sure. Several heavy boxes of supplies or overweight tools, we ladies tend to get help from the workers before a male driver would.

I have a few places on my route that they don't even bother to get up and open the door though, no matter what I am draggin in there. I can handle it, it's my job. I always make sure to thank the ones who are conciterate though. Kindness goes along way.

:rofl: Now there is an understatement if I ever heard one.

packageguy

Thanks everybody for the great tips and advice! I'm really looking forward to this, I will come back to read this thread after I start to give me reminders!

The place I was hired at has a couple of permanent positions available after the holidays so that's what I am aiming for, I just gotta keep my head up.

I was reading something about skipping my lunch to make faster times? Do you old school folks agree with that to give me a better chance at getting hired permanently or is that just mule crap?

Thanks again!

Take your lunch, do it right don't cut corners, Because when they see you can do the job right and safe, the job is yours.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Welcome Moon...best of luck to you in your new job. Follow the "do the job safely" advice. We have to be tougher than most women. I was raised on a farm and worked in the trucking industry before I started driving for UPS, so physically I was prepared. Mentally, not so much. It is very stressful with ALOT of info thrown at you all at once. Just be safe and as effecient as possible. You will be overwhelmed at first, just know we all were.

Get a good pair of boots or shoes. If you work in a colder climate, waterproof hiking boots work well.

One of the best tips for being female: Know where the clean bathrooms are. If your gonna run out in the country for a big loop, go before you leave town. Dont buy a cup of coffee or soda to take with you, I learned this the hard way. We can't find a tree or use a bottle like the boys.
I've found plenty of trees on rural rtes. Marked them myself once or twice too. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hello!

I just got hired as a temporary driver for the holidays, I was wondering if there are any female drivers here wanting to give me some tips and advice as I am a female and noticed not many female drivers in my place of work!!

Thanks! I'm really excited about this job!
​Neil Young fan?