New temporary shift

Ashell

So managements plan this year is to split one shift into 2. They have hired lots of new people and more seasonal are coming. Some people will work the first shift, some people will work the second shift. And some people are allowed to work both. I haven't seen bid sheet for this new shift. I also haven't seen a bid sheet for FT combo hub worker. Management has directly said, there will be no overtime this peak season. And that's what this is, because each shift is going to have a 3.5 hour guaranty(which may not happen too). So they can pay anyone working 7 at straight time instead of 5+2 OT pay.

Someone is probably going to say talk to my steward, but this is a whole shift. Their stewards have to know. This effects everyone in the whole building. The company is cheating everyone in the whole building out of wages and opportunists to earn those wages.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So managements plan this year is to split one shift into 2. They have hired lots of new people and more seasonal are coming. Some people will work the first shift, some people will work the second shift. And some people are allowed to work both. I haven't seen bid sheet for this new shift. I also haven't seen a bid sheet for FT combo hub worker. Management has directly said, there will be no overtime this peak season. And that's what this is, because each shift is going to have a 3.5 hour guaranty(which may not happen too). So they can pay anyone working 7 at straight time instead of 5+2 OT pay.

Someone is probably going to say talk to my steward, but this is a whole shift. Their stewards have to know. This effects everyone in the whole building. The company is cheating everyone in the whole building out of wages and opportunists to earn those wages.
Yup....you guys in locals with supplements that don't have strong language regarding double shifts are getting the shaft this peak.

Ashell

Its the union and UPS writing the language. Birds of a feather spend the day drinking at the golf course together.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If there's an abundance of labor in your area willing to work at UPS for less than 4 weeks, then I don't see what the issue is. No, I wouldn't like it either, but UPS's goal is to maximize its profits. Not to mention that many of your co-workers don't want to load trucks for 8+ hours per day, or get up at midnight, etc.

Its the union and UPS writing the language. Birds of a feather spend the day drinking at the golf course together.

OTOH, if UPS is doing it to circumvent paying out OT -- that is, the "two" shifts will largely consist of a single employee group -- than I can understand your point. However... you've mentioned before you're in a Southern RTW state, where few PTers are in the union. Just think, if they joined, voiced their opinion & paid their dues, and refused to accept a contract that didn't support them.... in my area, all hours over 5 within a 24-hour period are OT. Period. Hence why UPS wouldn't try this BS here.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If there's an abundance of labor in your area willing to work at UPS for less than 4 weeks, then I don't see what the issue is. No, I wouldn't like it either, but UPS's goal is to maximize its profits. Not to mention that many of your co-workers don't want to load trucks for 8+ hours per day, or get up at midnight, etc.

OTOH, if UPS is doing it to circumvent paying out OT -- that is, the "two" shifts will largely consist of a single employee group -- than I can understand your point. However... you've mentioned before you're in a Southern RTW state, where few PTers are in the union. Just think, if they joined, voiced their opinion & paid their dues, and refused to accept a contract that didn't support them.... in my area, all hours over 5 within a 24-hour period are OT. Period. Hence why UPS wouldn't try this BS here.
Yes my supplement states PT employees have to elect to agree to be scheduled for an 8hr shift....to avoid paying OT after 5 hours.

Ashell

I think they said this is the plan, do you want choice A, B, or C. And calling that an agreement. It wasn't presented to them as an elected option. There is probably some intention misleading going on.

Last peak I came to every double shift I could. I know several other people that did near the same. UPS has legitimate issues with double shifters. Some don't show up, because hey its not their shift and won't get cited for attendance. Someone is going to cry because they were not asked and UPS doesn't want to pay the grievance. BUT, that can all be solved by just following the double shifting process like the coverage sheet. And even missing shifts is covered. The problem is management are often just over paid babysitters that do a pretty half assed job. If the company wants to save money, fire your managers.

They are not saving money on labor because so many of the new people work a few days and quit. To them its not worth it, and they are not physically accustom to the job. For a little more money I'll do it all day long...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I dunno....I'm told a start time and I come in....I'm the last one on my line to leave...I don't work less than 8.5 hour days during peak...usually more like 9....OT after 5.