New to FedEx Express - Seniority Rules

FedExNW

My question first: I'm new to FedEx but am older (early 30s and in midst of career change), very determined, ensuring I am a top performer (attendance, scans, everything) etc., and want to move up FASTER than average. How do I get around the seniority/points rules? It seems like so many people just try to get by doing the bare minimum. I would love to be a courier - at least for now. I always hear I'll have to wait a few years - I refuse to fall for that and wait that long. I'm hoping to get back to the ($15-$20 full-time) range within the next year. Around 15 years ago, my sister's husband quit his bartender job in Anchorage, became a handler at UPS and then a driver in less than a year.

Background: I've been working as a Handler at a FedEx ramp for a few months. I have a solid background, but decided to leave the office environment to go after more of a passion - aviation/driving. I've found that I love it here and love the company. I make less money, but am much happier with life and going to work.

I'm trying to do all the little things and be a top performer consistently. It's a little surprising how many have the attitude that they just want to get through the shift and their minds are just elsewhere. Many of them are younger, though, and I can relate. It takes us time to find our calling.

Being that I'm in myearly 30s, I want to move up in this company FASTER than average...much faster. I actually bid for a driver positiion on JCats and was the only bidder until the last day it was posted. I was told they might make an exception for me even though I'm under 6 months. A few others (drivers) applied at the last hours. I was told that even if I had more seniority, drivers always get picked first. That makes sense.

Last edited:

dezguy

You don't get by points seniority, although the only thing seniority counts for anymore at FedEx is vacations. The more seniority you have, the more points you have, plain and simple. The only way you move up before the guy or gal ahead of you is if they were hired within a year of you and you somehow have more points.

Being a top performer gets you one thing, more work.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Welcome aboard.

Secondly, welcome to hell where you will be rewarded for your hard work with......boom!!!.....more hard work.

As a driver, there is no moving up the ladder faster than average. Read you own title here, seniority does rule and it'll will take you roughly 47 years to make top pay scale the way things are going these days.

Sorry to burst your bubble son, but these are the facts of FedEx life.

Have to ever thought about the plumbing industry?

FedExNW

I refuse to believe that. Our ramp managers moved up way faster than others, obviously. I'm thinking management positions may be one of the few exceptions to the points. Everyone getting the same points for just showing up and getting through the shift while others desire to retire at FedEx and excel is just......

I guess there is always the option of moving to a place (that OTHER company) you are more wanted in the future....

But it's only been a few months and way too early to jump to any conclusions.

Last edited:

FedExNW

Welcome aboard.

Secondly, welcome to hell where you will be rewarded for your hard work with......boom!!!.....more hard work.

As a driver, there is no moving up the ladder faster than average. Read you own title here, seniority does rule and it'll will take you roughly 47 years to make top pay scale the way things are going these days.

Sorry to burst your bubble son, but these are the facts of FedEx life.

Have to ever thought about the plumbing industry?
I bet for a courier job in Florida and was the only bidder after the one week post lapsed. I think they may havre reposted it though. Had a waiver on it. I just want to make it to a driver and go from there. I will do all I can and we will see where hte chips fall.

TUT

To OP, do what you need at Fedex, but reading your story and what you like In-Field vs Office, me to. Perhaps keep an eye and thought out about other service jobs, where you go company to company to assist in a need. There is quite a bit more money in that endeavor usually and I think it still scratches that itch for you. That freedom has a value that is hard to put a $ sign to.

TUT

Let me add working at Fedex and UPS you guys make a lot of contacts each year, there are opportunities there and you wouldn't be the first from Fedex or UPS to take advantage of that.

dezguy

They're called brown nosing points. Jk.

You earn points based on being part time or full time. They come into play when you bid for a position in Jcats.
Yup because why would you do things based on years of service? I've seen a few instances where guys with less seniority jump over others or guys with less seniority get choice routes over guys who have been with the company longer. Such a load of B.S.

BrownMeetPurple

They're called brown nosing points. Jk.

You earn points based on being part time or full time. They come into play when you bid for a position in Jcats.
Yup because why would you do things based on years of service? I've seen a few instances where guys with less seniority jump over others or guys with less seniority get choice routes over guys who have been with the company longer. Such a load of B.S.

So how are these points calculated/earned? Can we see how many "points" we have?

vantexan

I refuse to believe that. Our ramp managers moved up way faster than others, obviously. I'm thinking management positions may be one of the few exceptions to the points. Everyone getting the same points for just showing up and getting through the shift while others desire to retire at FedEx and excel is just......

I guess there is always the option of moving to a place (that OTHER company) you are more wanted in the future....

But it's only been a few months and way too early to jump to any conclusions.
Here's your options: usually start at part-time off the street but since you're already an employee you can bid on fulltime rts. Points are added to your total every week you work. Person with most points who bids on rt gets it IF they decide to take it. I've seen almost 20 people turn down a rt before someone takes it but usually the person with most points takes or one of those in top 3 after him/her does.

Want to make more money/get more hours? Become a swing driver and often those positions are there for the taking. But be advised, you'll start out at close to $15hr all the way up to over $19hr depending on your stations payscale. A bit more as a swing. All the hard work in the world won't get you bigger raises as FedEx now gives 2%, 3%, 4%, or 5% based on what "quartile" or quarter you're in of the payscale. The exception is they keep raising starting pay 3% so as a new courier you may get 3% raises. But the topped out employees keep getting 3% raises too. Has the effect of raising the midpoint between 3% and 4% quartiles and trapping lower paid employees in a cycle of minimal raises that might go on for 20 years or more before they can hit 4% raises.

Your best bet if you're a real go getter is to go into management. Pays better but serious issues of it's own. FedEx has turned a job with a future into a labyrinth of deception that goes nowhere fast. Don't believe what you're being told because it's a mgr's job to tell you what you want to hear. If you want a driving job with a future go UPS.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Your CEV points are based on your years of continuous service. If you have 10 years of continuous service and are FT, you have 120 points. The same person, if PT, has 60 points. You have 1 point per month if FT and half of 1 point per month if PT. That's one way to get the jump over someone with more seniority.

Then there is the issue of job classification. Those in the same classification get preference over those who aren't, regardless of CEV score.

vantexan

Your CEV points are based on your years of continuous service. If you have 10 years of continuous service and are FT, you have 120 points. The same person, if PT, has 60 points. You have 1 point per month if FT and half of 1 point per month if PT. That's one way to get the jump over someone with more seniority.

Then there is the issue of job classification. Those in the same classification get preference over those who aren't, regardless of CEV score.
I forgot that they had adjusted the system awhile back. You are correct.