New to FedEx Express - Seniority Rules

FedExNW

Thanks, everyone. I'll bid twice a week every week and try to land something in the worst city possible so I have better odds lol. Kidding...I think....

bigbird00

etc., and want to move up FASTER than average. How do I get around the seniority/points rules? It seems like so many people just try to get by doing the bare minimum. I would love to be a courier - at least for now. I always hear I'll have to wait a few years - I refuse to fall for that and wait that long. I'm hoping to get back to the ($15-$20 full-time) range within the next year. Around 15 years ago, my sister's husband quit his bartender job in Anchorage, became a handler at UPS and then a driver in less than a year.
I hope that someone told you that anyone that has started in the last ten years will NEVER reach top of range in pay.Whether its handler,driver or whatever its NEVER.Your best option to move up is to get into ops or ramp management.Management as far as ops is thankless and short term any more due to high burn out.Good luck in what you choose,but choose wisely.

It will be fine

Didn't you guys say one could go into management for a year then drop back to courier at top scale? That might be the best bet if he wants to drive and get paid.

SmithBarney

At 30yrs old you should aim for management for any sustainable career. A courier position now should only be considered a "job" and not a career. after 10 years and making less than $1 more than a new hire... and about $3 more than when I started.. as a 30yr old you should think long and hard about what you want in the long run.. sure 15/hr sounds good today, but three years from now when you are making 15.50, (and the new guy is making 15.45) you aren't going to be too happy.

FedExNW

What about a CDR driver after courier? Heard they make more.

And why is attendance a huge deal when it all comes down to seniority? Is there a way to earn more points or lose points that I don't know about? I know if you are late or get a counseling letter you can't get promoted until it clears.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

And why is attendance a huge deal when it all comes down to seniority? Is there a way to earn more points or lose points that I don't know about? I know if you are late or get a counseling letter you can't get promoted until it clears.

What is a CDR? Do you mean an RTD (tractor trailer driver)? Attendance is mandatory. One minute late is still late. I don't think you can lose or gain points unless you move from PT to FT or vice versa.

You can get promoted with a warning letter depending on what position you apply for and what the letter is for.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You must mean CDL driver. The only points you earn at Express are for SENIORITY. No matter how many worthless paper attaboys you earn, you won't accrue anything for it. In fact, they'll happily fire you even if you're an ass-kissing IamFedEx.com employee.

Clearly, you don't have a clue, so here's one from a long-term employee. If you're an eager beaver go-getter, your efforts are wasted here.

End of story.

Maui

Thanks, everyone. I'll bid twice a week every week and try to land something in the worst city possible so I have better odds lol. Kidding...I think....

All the info here is correct. There is no way to "beat" CEV points. Your best bet is to go to a less desirable location, but you probably won't know where those are so soon. I wasn't at the company for very long, but transferred to another location and promoted to management pretty quickly by being willing to go to hard to fill locations.

If you seek management, then it would probably be about 2-3 years at the soonest. Some senior managers will flat out not hire someone not in position already. They will repost repeatedly rather than hire a new manager. Managers spend lots of time in the office, but you sometimes get check rides and if you find a station with ramp ops or that is a feeder location you can get both the driving and aviation.

If you want a driving career I would recommend UPS. The pay and bennies are much, much better.

hypo hanna

The washout rate for new managers who weren't drivers is much higher than those who have some road experience.
Also know this. Those other ops managers aren't going to be your partners or your mentors. They are your competition for the scant resources of driver hours and equipment. If the station senior doesnt address it, your mgmt career will be both painful and short.

dezguy

I wouldn't want to be a manager in today's FedEx. I've seen a couple actual good managers either end up on the unemployment line because they weren't willing to constantly harass us couriers or drop down to lower paid positions.

I talked with probably the best manager I've had in my time here, a few months ago and he was telling me the nightmare being a manager at FedEx has become. This was a manager who had been in his position for nearly 20 years. FedEx drove him to step down and the station he ran has gone to :censored2: since he left.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I wouldn't want to be a manager in today's FedEx. I've seen a couple actual good managers either end up on the unemployment line because they weren't willing to constantly harass us couriers or drop down to lower paid positions.

I talked with probably the best manager I've had in my time here, a few months ago and he was telling me the nightmare being a manager at FedEx has become. This was a manager who had been in his position for nearly 20 years. FedEx drove him to step down and the station he ran has gone to :censored2: since he left.
That's because Memphis won't actually let them manage anything. Smith & company are the biggest control freaks and they want to call ALL of the shots these days. The whole idea of a management position is nothing but a mockery. One big puppet show is all it is.

SmithBarney

If I were you I would look for a small station in a semi remote western town. Later start times, and earlier pull times, and usually a seasoned team.

SmithBarney

That's because Memphis won't actually let them manage anything. Smith & company are the biggest control freaks and they want to call ALL of the shots these days. The whole idea of a management position is nothing but a mockery. One big puppet show is all it is.

BINGO! MGRs basically run reports for Memphis, check time cards, and issue corrective feedback(from above) hardly are they permitted to make any real decisions.