New to FedEx Express - Seniority Rules

FedExNW

I may be "clueless" but it looks like I just landed a friend-T swing courier job on the east coast. I don't want to say where yet, but not bad considering I've only been here for 3 months. When you're currently working part-time at $12.85 an hour at around 20 hours a week now, it sounds wonderful. The manager in the email said that my current manager needs to verify my JCA, and then he will request my MVR. After that clears, he will send me an offer letter.

What's the deal with JCA and MVR? Anything I need to be concerned about?

vantexan

I may be "clueless" but it looks like I just landed a friend-T swing courier job on the east coast. I don't want to say where yet, but not bad considering I've only been here for 3 months. When you're currently working part-time at $12.85 an hour at around 20 hours a week now, it sounds wonderful. The manager in the email said that my current manager needs to verify my JCA, and then he will request my MVR. After that clears, he will send me an offer letter.

Your mgr verifies that you are eligible to transfer, no problem as long as you are. Don't recall them checking my MVR, but should be just a formality to guarantee that you are eligible for a CDL position. Are you moving all the way across the country? Swing driver jobs are fairly easy to get anywhere. Just remember if you back out of it, do so before signing the offer letter. After signing you can still back out up to the day before you are scheduled to be there, but you'll have to wait 1 year before being able to apply for another position. But hey, if it's a place you'd like to be, go for it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your mgr verifies that you are eligible to transfer, no problem as long as you are. Don't recall them checking my MVR, but should be just a formality to guarantee that you are eligible for a CDL position. Are you moving all the way across the country? Swing driver jobs are fairly easy to get anywhere. Just remember if you back out of it, do so before signing the offer letter. After signing you can still back out up to the day before you are scheduled to be there, but you'll have to wait 1 year before being able to apply for another position. But hey, if it's a place you'd like to be, go for it.

I think he's in for a major reality check.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'll second that I think this guy is going in over his head. Moving from coast to coast at your own expense for a position when you've only been with the Co. for 3 months is just too risky.

l22

I wouldn't recommend getting into ops management. The money may be good but think about your mental health ie. your ability to sleep at night and have a clean conscience lol.

FedExNW

My aunt and uncle live a half hour from the station. It's in Florida. I can probably live with one of them the first few months. Around 17 an hour. We will see.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'll second that I think this guy is going in over his head. Moving from coast to coast at your own expense for a position when you've only been with the Co. for 3 months is just too risky.
And very impulsive too.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's because Memphis won't actually let them manage anything. Smith & company are the biggest control freaks and they want to call ALL of the shots these days. The whole idea of a management position is nothing but a mockery. One big puppet show is all it is.

ROTFLMAO. Spoken like someone who literally has no idea what he is talking about. No idea at all.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wouldn't recommend getting into ops management. The money may be good but think about your mental health ie. your ability to sleep at night and have a clean conscience lol.

Ops management isn't bad unless you get a workgroup full of people like the majority of posters here. An ops mgr really has only 3 things to worry about 95% of the time. Safety, service, and productivity.

It will be fine

Ops management isn't bad unless you get a workgroup full of people like the majority of posters here. An ops mgr really has only 3 things to worry about 95% of the time. Safety, service, and productivity.
I think the order is backwards there Dano. Safety is at the bottom of the list for sure.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

Yup,
NOBODY is concerned about P.S.P.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My aunt and uncle live a half hour from the station. It's in Florida. I can probably live with one of them the first few months. Around 17 an hour. We will see.

You know, most people have a conscience and some decent level of personal ethics. If you can put those aside and sell your soul to Mr. Smith, you've found your company pal. That said, I've seen plenty of "shooting stars" like you crumple into a flaming ball of failure after just a year or so with this outfit.

You don't have a clue, but you've already got it all figured out. As Liam Neeson would say. "Good Luck".

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
My aunt and uncle live a half hour from the station. It's in Florida. I can probably live with one of them the first few months.
So by the sounds of this I would have to take it that Aunty and Uncle have no clue at this point that they may potentially be taking on some new weight for awhile.

It would probably be best just to show up at their doorstep with all your bags.....gives 'em no time to come up with some lame excuse as to how while they'd "just love to have ya", they're simply unable to accommodate you at this time due to Smallpox quarantine, Black Widow infestation, ongoing multiple homicide investigation, or some such outlandish thing.

Also, bring a (small) package of cookies and thrust it towards them as they open the door. Only the most heartless of cruel basstids will turn away homeless kin who come bearing gifts.

Good luck

Buhryein

I'm in Florida as well they asked for your MVR because you are currently a Handler and not a driver so they need to make sure you qualify for a driving position.

I'm not 100% sure but it is possible that your manager can deny your transfer because you have only just started there.

Swing Driver positions are usually the fastest way to go FT long time employees with cushy routes aren't going to switch over to be a swing.

l22

Being a Swing Driver is a good position as long as you are willing to work whenever they need you - you can potentially get a lot of hours. The key to success as a Swing Driver and as a Courier at Express in general is not getting into an accident - it has nothing to do with having lates. Any day you return to the building not having had an accident is a good day. Don't let anything they tell you about your on-road performance with SPH, gaps, etc. change your safe driving and use of best practices. They try to say these things/present you with reports to make a courier think they need to go faster - but usually don't say that they need to go faster, so don't go faster. But if they ever tell you that you need to go faster or even if they just question anything you are doing, request a checkride and also that a manager runs the route with you in the passenger seat. Above all the things they will tell you about performance, make sure you have control of your own emotions out there, stay cool-headed - I'm talking about with having lates. You will have lates. When you're on a route don't speed/run or get frustrated just because you have lates. As long as you didn't get in an accident you're fine. If you want to go above and beyond for the company as well as yourself, don't get into an accident. If they question you about your performance, request a checkride and that they run your route with you in the passenger seat. Perform each and every time on road as if you are being given a checkride.

Purplepackage

Being a Swing Driver is a good position as long as you are willing to work whenever they need you - you can potentially get a lot of hours. The key to success as a Swing Driver and as a Courier at Express in general is not getting into an accident - it has nothing to do with having lates. Any day you return to the building not having had an accident is a good day. Don't let anything they tell you about your on-road performance with SPH, gaps, etc. change your safe driving and use of best practices. They try to say these things/present you with reports to make a courier think they need to go faster - but usually don't say that they need to go faster, so don't go faster. But if they ever tell you that you need to go faster or even if they just question anything you are doing, request a checkride and also that a manager runs the route with you in the passenger seat. Above all the things they will tell you about performance, make sure you have control of your own emotions out there, stay cool-headed - I'm talking about with having lates. You will have lates. When you're on a route don't speed/run or get frustrated just because you have lates. As long as you didn't get in an accident you're fine. If you want to go above and beyond for the company as well as yourself, don't get into an accident. If they question you about your performance, request a checkride and that they run your route with you in the passenger seat. Perform each and every time on road as if you are being given a checkride.

This 100% no accidents it's a good day, if you have 10 lates then it's the managers problem not yours.

I know this post is old but to the OP I see there is a position open in Boone NC for a very rural route, I'm sure you could scoop that up with no points at all lol

l22

This 100% no accidents it's a good day, if you have 10 lates then it's the managers problem not yours.

If there's one thing that makes me sick, it's when a courier tells a brand new courier something like "no lates" or "please don't have lates." The thing I've noticed with this is the couriers who say this stuff usually haven't been couriers for that long it seems lol - they've been doing it 5 years at most. When I first started years ago, every courier with half a brain would tell me, "please do me a favor and be safe out there" and not to worry about lates - they happen and it has nothing to do with your job - you don't plan the engineering behind a route, you do the delivering and picking up of the packages.... A few couriers who had only been couriers for a few years or so would try to intimidate me saying "no lates" or "please don't have lates, just don't." I guess what I'm getting at is people learn, even if they learn very slow haha. To the OP, if you take a courier job, just remember safety above all. You may have co-workers trying to intimidate you by saying not to have lates under any circumstances. When they do this, just use it as a reminder to slow down and be safe. Lates happen... Any day you go on the road and don't get into an accident is a good day. You need to be home safe...

Last edited: