New to Feeder. Need advice on essentials.

guyinthebrownbox

....and I'm done on this. The original post asked for advice which I gave. Good luck on the new career. Be Prepared, expect the unexpected.

And we appreciate it. That's why I changed my tone and said forgive me. Two experienced drivers sharing their views can only help show a new guy different situations and help him (or her) decide what's best

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We get paid by the hour. I'll wait
Ya you get paid by the hour but a breakdown in feeder can take most of the day waiting for help. You do this a couple times and come home exhausted and not being able to work the next day because of hours or whatever and you start thinking about bringing some tools that can get you back on the road in a few minutes or a half hour.

I carried some basic tools , mechanics tape, duct tape , spare bulbs and trailer light covers and a plug in rear light , an air hose with glad hand and hardware to go with it with 2 adjustable wrenches to R and R. It only takes 15-20 minutes instead of waiting hours for a wrecker.

Everyone wins. You make service and don't lose too much time and you get a lot of satisfaction also. Sometimes you have to think of being a part owner of this company instead of trying to screw it over all the time.

guyinthebrownbox

Like I said, I understand, but if I explained my situation, it would give away what building I'm at.

You are correct, waiting on a wrecker takes forever, and both times I have waited to be towed resulted in me have the next day off because UPS wasn't able to push the start time back to respect the 10 hours. And my at home situation allows me to miss a day so I don't think about bringing tools. Missing a day in my buikding can still net you 45 hours easily. Different strokes for different folks

I would love to be proactive and think of being part owner of the company but where I'm at, doing that can get you burned. Just the way it is. That's UPS' fault

brownburro

Like I said, I understand, but if I explained my situation, it would give away what building I'm at.

You are correct, waiting on a wrecker takes forever, and both times I have waited to be towed resulted in me have the next day off because UPS wasn't able to push the start time back to respect the 10 hours. And my at home situation allows me to miss a day so I don't think about bringing tools. Missing a day in my buikding can still net you 45 hours easily. Different strokes for different folks

I would love to be proactive and think of being part owner of the company but where I'm at, doing that can get you burned. Just the way it is. That's UPS' fault
Ugh, I don't think I'm part owner of ups. What I do own is my free time and waiting around for some lazy ass supervisor to arrange for a wrecker cuts into that. OK, now I'm done. Hahahaha.

over9five

Staff member
Management here has never supplied, or suggested that I carry, spare parts for their equipment. I am a truck driver, not a mechanic.

I would also never steal work from another union employee. Repairing UPS equipment is time a shop mechanic should have gotten paid for.
The mechanics don't deliver my loads, I don't repair their equipment.

brownburro

Management here has never supplied, or suggested that I carry, spare parts for their equipment. I am a truck driver, not a mechanic.

I would also never steal work from another union employee. Repairing UPS equipment is time a shop mechanic should have gotten paid for.
That and a nickel used to get a cup of coffee. I'm talking about getting the truck off the highway safely. I get the few little parts from our mechanics to prevent a service call as instructed by them, the friend#@$ing union mechanics. It's amazing to me that this company manages to be as profitable as it is with that mindset. Staying in a potentially harmful situation just so you don't steal work from another union employee? Please.

brownburro

That and a nickel used to get a cup of coffee. I'm talking about getting the truck off the highway safely. I get the few little parts from our mechanics to prevent a service call as instructed by them, the friend#@$ing union mechanics. It's amazing to me that this company manages to be as profitable as it is with that mindset. Staying in a potentially harmful situation just so you don't steal work from another union employee? Please.
To add to that I drive in remote areas where a mechanic would be the last person to respond to a call. It would be a non union outside tow service to take my tractor to a ups shop for a ten minute fix.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

sorry I am ol school.

anyway , the shop mechanics have thanked me for making repairs as road calls have a negative impact on the shops' numbers.

over9five

Staff member
anyway , the shop mechanics have thanked me for making repairs as road calls have a negative impact on the shops' numbers.

I'm sorry. I'm having a hard time believing that a union mechanic said "Don't worry about that $200 I could have had for my family, at least the shop made its numbers". Seriously? Are you sure you weren't talking to the mechanics supervisor?

I could have some respect for you guys that do this IF:
1. You were truly stuck in some dangerous spot, and
2. When you got back to the building, you told the mechanic what happened so he could get paid through the grievance procedure.

Anyhow, jmho!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it was the mechanics. one time they gave me a gift because I brought in a tractor that had a broken cross-over beam under the tractor and the airlines and beam were hitting the ground. I got some rope and bunjees and tied everything up after speaking to the mechanic on the phone. he suggested that I do that and nurse the rig back to the yard and save them a road call.

I understand that you don't do repairs in the yard or if they can come out and fix something themselves but if they have to use an outside service like an independent tow company that cost the company extra money it goes against the shop as a bad thing. that's the way it is at the Reno hub.

if it makes you feel better, you are absolutely right and i am wrong. Ok, feel better? that is my last word on the subject. I don't make this :censored2:ing stuff up.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
it was the mechanics. one time they gave me a gift because I brought in a tractor that had a broken cross-over beam under the tractor and the airlines and beam were hitting the ground. I got some rope and bunjees and tied everything up after speaking to the mechanic on the phone. he suggested that I do that and nurse the rig back to the yard and save them a road call.

I understand that you don't do repairs in the yard or if they can come out and fix something themselves but if they have to use an outside service like an independent tow company that cost the company extra money it goes against the shop as a bad thing. that's the way it is at the Reno hub.

if it makes you feel better, you are absolutely right and i am wrong. Ok, feel better? that is my last word on the subject. I don't make this :censored2:ing stuff up.
What it it all let go , and caused an accident ??
UPS mngmnt team would ah been all over you !!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
....and I'm done on this. The original post asked for advice which I gave. Good luck on the new career. Be Prepared, expect the unexpected.

I know you said you are done with this, but I have one word of advice. Be very careful what you do.

Making a temporary repair to get your set to the nearest safe haven is one thing, repairing your set and driving to your destination is another thing.

While something may not go wrong, your repaired air line held, if is does go wrong and something disastrous happens, UPS will throw you under the bus. You are not an authorized UPS mechanic , or licensed and bonded outside contractor.

Glad hand seals and light cords are fine, but air hoses and anything else opens you up to a liability that I, nor anyone else, especially a new driver, do not want.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I know you said you are done with this, but I have one word of advice. Be very careful what you do.

Making a temporary repair to get your set to the nearest safe haven is one thing, repairing your set and driving to your destination is another thing.

While something may not go wrong, your repaired air line held, if is does go wrong and something disastrous happens, UPS will throw you under the bus. You are not an authorized UPS mechanic , or licensed and bonded outside contractor.

Glad hand seals and light cords are fine, but air hoses and anything else opens you up to a liability that I, nor anyone else, especially a new driver, do not want.
very good point. every driver should have a lawyer in their back pocket these days.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What it it all let go , and caused an accident ??
UPS mngmnt team would ah been all over you !!
very good point. like i said before , i am ol school bur being that way these days can get you in a lot of trouble. you cant even have pride any more and try to do a good job without looking at the legal ramifications at every turn.