New to preloading, what is / why lip loading?

bostoncommon

What exactly is the advantage of lip loading? I see discussions saying that a package is less likely to fall off when lip loaded but that seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't it be less likely to fall off if it's behind the lip?

jaker

trolling
Lip loading was technique that was used many moons ago to help keep boxes on the shelf and the ones stack on top of those

They no longer to this because they no longer stack boxes on top of boxes on the shelf anymore ( being sarcastic )

No one really knows why they don't do it anymore execpt maybe they think it is faster just to throw it on the shelf and let us sort it out

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you lip load, and you stack boxes nearly to the roof, they angle backwards towards the wall. If not, when you turn in ANY direction those boxes fall to the floor.

Sent using BrownCafe App

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
If you lip load, and you stack boxes nearly to the roof, they angle backwards towards the wall. If not, when you turn in ANY direction those boxes fall to the floor.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm glad someone finally answered the question correctly.
The truck is moving 95% of the time. If the packages aren't lip-loaded and angled back towards the wall, they will end up on the floor because of the constant movement.
As a preloader, the three most important things to remember are to load packages securely on the shelves (lip-load), load in sequential order, and make sure they're loaded on the right truck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you don't lip load than you might as well put the stacked packages on the floor because thats where they end uo first turn out of the building. Especially when I'm driving a diesel P57.

Sent using BrownCafe App

S

selfcancelsignal

The best is when smalls are lip loaded when the PC isn't completely full. Push those babies back or you'll be unnecessarily practicing the 8 keys of lowering & lifting all day.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I used to love drifting until I realized the 2+ hours of extra work I gave myself :angry:

Now I just turtle the corners :(

I had one hell of a drift earlier this year, damn near got the 1200 I was driving sideways driving down an empty resi street. Since I was able to recover it, it was AWESOME. Up until that point though, it was a bit scary.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our preload has been told lately to load packages to the wall of the shelf and load out from there. So bad. So very bad. All packages should be lip loaded and stand them up on their side, not flat. Thanks!!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our preload has been told lately to load packages to the wall of the shelf and load out from there. So bad. So very bad. All packages should be lip loaded and stand them up on their side, not flat. Thanks!!!
Yes, that's the new bright idea here too....stack packages against the shelf walls and then stack more in front of them. I say okay....and then ignore them and do it the right way..idiots lol. The only exception is the RH catalogs.....too clumsy to lip load and too heavy to put them on top of lip loaded packages.....I'll stand them up againt the back shelf wall.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Yes, that's the new bright idea here too....stack packages against the shelf walls and then stack more in front of them.
I assume from your post that you're a preloader? Is this how they are training you guys how to load now? I was wondering because this is how my truck has been loaded for almost a year now. I keep complaining to the preload sups but nothing has changed.