new to the brown

raceanoncr

When I came into feeders from package car (9 year wait) we drove 5 speed GMC's. The clutches were wet (full of ATF fluid). It gave you one more dipstick to check on your pretrip. We were instructed to double-clutch EVERY shift, or be disciplined. I did it for years. They did away with the wet clutches, but I still double clutched. On road Supervisor asked me why in the hell I did that? I was trained that way and never changed. Double clutched till my last day on the job.

I admire you if you could/can double-clutch all that time. I couldn't and wouldn't.

Came to UPS from driving OTHER trucks. Started out driving 5x3, then new 5x4, then 8-sp Allison with a 3-sp splitter (I know, I'd never seen or heard of one til then but got to love it later). Never did use clutch except when stopped, either reverse or forward.

Did the package car thing (not as long as some have), went to feeders, yes, with same setup--5-sp, wet clutch. Thot I was in heaven. Told to double-clutch. WHAT? OK, so did just to appease the instructor gods. Toughest task I've ever had to complete in years of tractor-trailer driving. On my own, DAMNED be the clutch!

When going thru a ride (at the time, they were supposed to ride with you every 3 months, right? Then got it knocked down to 1 a year if you were a good boy?), I, then, just flat out told em I wasn't going to. Too difficult and time consuming (for me). Most acquiesced and said if I snarked ANY gears, they'd write me up. Never did. They, on the other hand, when their turn...HOLY SNIKEY! Every gear was rounded off by the end of their shift. I told em I was gonna write em up. No humor.

Didn't do it for our 5-sps, 7-sps, 8-sps, 10-sps, sleeper-sps, or any other sps, we had.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Been known to look like that.
Your legs would look good on my grill...lol
gumby.gif

MS.Tee.

I'm a package driver in Hbg West center. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by double clutching. What few manual package cars we have yet in west center are just a standard manual transmission like you would have in a passenger car.

Were you an off the street hire for package car or an insider first? If you were off the street then I believe you have to wait till after your 30 days is up until you can sign the list to go to feeders. If you were an insider, then go to HR and put your name on the list.

Cover drivers right now work often. And then through peak you would work daily pretty much. Our list are completely exhausted from Nov. 1 through mid January. And if there is no work available to you on road then you can go inside and get hours if you want to.
We don't have "seasonal" package car drivers in Central Pa. You would either be a (part time) TemporaryCoverDriver or a full time driver. to be full time takes time. maybe 5 years. You'll be top-rate before you make full time, in most cases.
Thank you thank you .you answered all of my questions. When I say double clutching I mean on their tractors I know how to drive 5 speed.again thank you so so much for answering my questions . And lol I will come here to ask for your advice. Oh and im not from here so when you say west Harrisburg ? Im going to be working in the one on 19 th st. Again thank you.