New to the site, question about light duty

Swngdrvr

Hey guys, I've been lurking around the site for a while, and check in from time to time to see the opinions of the people on here about certain issues. Most people on here seem pretty knowledgeable. So I'm hoping you guys will know how to answer this. Sorry for the length of this post.

I am a full time M-friend swing for express and was injured on a route in July. I told my manager, went to the doctor the same day after work, and was given restrictions about how much I could lift and for how long throughout the day. I told my manager said restrictions, and was immediately told I couldn't work because fedex express doesn't offer light duty. The worker's comp people called me, I told them I was out of work, and things proceeded as they should. I used my 5 sick days to cover the first week, then worker's comp checks started the next week.

I was told to do PT by the physician's assistant I was seeing. I did 2-3 sessions a week for a little over a month(without fully knowing what was wrong), and ended up making the problem worse. Finally saw a orthopedic doctor, who provided some different treatment and gave me another appointment a month out. I have no return to work date as of this point.
Fast forward to today, my manager calls me to "check in", then tells me he wants me to start coming in to fix the hundreds of zeroes our DRA is spitting out every day. He said he wants me to work about 2 hours a day, in the middle of the day, and get through as many as I can.

My question is, does fedex offer light duty, or is it station dependent? My concern is that I only work ~10 hours a week(also not sure how this affects my 35 hour minimum), and don't end up taking any money home after taxes, insurance, etc. comes out of the check, and then workers comp adjusts my pay to the point where I'm actually losing money to go to work.

It seems to me like I am just a convenient solution to a problem they are having, and I want to make sure I'm looking out for myself since I know my manager and everyone else at fedex won't.

Thanks for any help.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey guys, I've been lurking around the site for a while, and check in from time to time to see the opinions of the people on here about certain issues. Most people on here seem pretty knowledgeable. So I'm hoping you guys will know how to answer this. Sorry for the length of this post.

I am a full time M-friend swing for express and was injured on a route in July. I told my manager, went to the doctor the same day after work, and was given restrictions about how much I could lift and for how long throughout the day. I told my manager said restrictions, and was immediately told I couldn't work because fedex express doesn't offer light duty. The worker's comp people called me, I told them I was out of work, and things proceeded as they should. I used my 5 sick days to cover the first week, then worker's comp checks started the next week.

I was told to do PT by the physician's assistant I was seeing. I did 2-3 sessions a week for a little over a month(without fully knowing what was wrong), and ended up making the problem worse. Finally saw a orthopedic doctor, who provided some different treatment and gave me another appointment a month out. I have no return to work date as of this point.
Fast forward to today, my manager calls me to "check in", then tells me he wants me to start coming in to fix the hundreds of zeroes our DRA is spitting out every day. He said he wants me to work about 2 hours a day, in the middle of the day, and get through as many as I can.

My question is, does fedex offer light duty, or is it station dependent? My concern is that I only work ~10 hours a week(also not sure how this affects my 35 hour minimum), and don't end up taking any money home after taxes, insurance, etc. comes out of the check, and then workers comp adjusts my pay to the point where I'm actually losing money to go to work.

It seems to me like I am just a convenient solution to a problem they are having, and I want to make sure I'm looking out for myself since I know my manager and everyone else at fedex won't.

Thanks for any help.

FedEx management does whatever they want. Technically, they have done away with light duty, but if you're a favored ass-kisser, they might create something for you to do.

Unfortunate, but true. There is no consistency to the application of policy and/or discipline.

Swngdrvr

Favored, yes. Ass-kisser, no. I learned long ago that they do what they want, and I do what I need do to look out for myself. They do like having me around, we have a problem with terrible couriers at my station but I am not one of them.

We have two people who do address corrections in the mornings for the current day zeroes, but now he wants me to come in and do the next days.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You need to check in with Heavy Duty Judy!

Heavy duty judy.png

SmithBarney

Favored, yes. Ass-kisser, no. I learned long ago that they do what they want, and I do what I need do to look out for myself. They do like having me around, we have a problem with terrible couriers at my station but I am not one of them.

We have two people who do address corrections in the mornings for the current day zeroes, but now he wants me to come in and do the next days.
If those two people coming in on Mornings are FT CRRS who are banking OT, tell him you'll come in to alleviate the excess OT in the station, if that doesn't work mention it to your SM... excess OT reduction is always a hotbutton issue, you might even get a BZ for your quick thinking!

SmithBarney

Well now, there's something else we have in common with purple!
Lack of Consistency, is pretty consistent across FDX. In a station with 3ops managers, we were recently told OLCCS automatically for lates(even if we have late freight) blah blah something about the system is automated now... Fast Forward 3weeks, 1ops manager is OLCCing their workgroup for lates, while the other isn't and lates are happening... at this rate we'll need to hire a whole new bunch of people.. ;)

Swngdrvr

If those two people coming in on Mornings are FT CRRS who are banking OT, tell him you'll come in to alleviate the excess OT in the station, if that doesn't work mention it to your SM... excess OT reduction is always a hotbutton issue, you might even get a BZ for your quick thinking!

Those two couriers start at the same time as the rest of our doc sort employees. The majority of the corrections they do are docs, boxes don't get corrected unless there are no docs waiting to be fixed. Most boxes go down the belt and the belt puller decides where they want to put it.

Those two both run DRA routes and get minimal OT, if any.

SmithBarney

Those two couriers start at the same time as the rest of our doc sort employees. The majority of the corrections they do are docs, boxes don't get corrected unless there are no docs waiting to be fixed. Most boxes go down the belt and the belt puller decides where they want to put it.

Those two both run DRA routes and get minimal OT, if any.

I don't understand Docs/boxes, it's all done on the computer and can be done before freight arrives.
But anyway it was worth a try... offer to be a truck refuel-er.. ;)

Swngdrvr

I don't understand Docs/boxes, it's all done on the computer and can be done before freight arrives.
But anyway it was worth a try... offer to be a truck refuel-er.. ;)

The way I see them doing it: they look the address up on the laptop, plot the closest intersection, and DRA places the stop. When the package gets another sip on it, the correct route label is printed.

I just don't want to go in to do unnecessary work. They haven't needed me for the past 6 weeks, they shouldn't need me now.

SmithBarney

The way I see them doing it: they look the address up on the laptop, plot the closest intersection, and DRA places the stop. When the package gets another sip on it, the correct route label is printed.

I just don't want to go in to do unnecessary work. They haven't needed me for the past 6 weeks, they shouldn't need me now.
The only problem I see is if you "refuse" work, they will tell workmans comp "we tried to give him work, but he just didn't want to work at all" then workers comp will say sorry can't pay you anymore because you refused... they are playing a legal game, a crappy legal game, but they know exactly what they are doing.

It will be fine

The only problem I see is if you "refuse" work, they will tell workmans comp "we tried to give him work, but he just didn't want to work at all" then workers comp will say sorry can't pay you anymore because you refused... they are playing a legal game, a crappy legal game, but they know exactly what they are doing.
This is probably the case. Light duty has been shown to reduce time off on comp. It gets people back sooner. If the doctor has cleared you for light duty you have to take it or it makes it much easier to terminate you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is probably the case. Light duty has been shown to reduce time off on comp. It gets people back sooner. If the doctor has cleared you for light duty you have to take it or it makes it much easier to terminate you.

Once you are injured at FedEx, you are painted neon orange and prepped for termination. The whole process is set-up to jettison employees who have been hurt.

MassWineGuy

I'm an Express courier. When I was being treated for lymphoma my doctor approved my return to work, but with no heavy lifting. My manager arranged for me to ride my route driven by a new hire. I did the scanning, told him where to go and trained him. I was on light duty/temporary return to work status and wasn't allowed to lift anything heavy, such as overloaded doc bags.

BigWork13

I'm not understanding the problem. Doctor said you could do light duty. Fedex offered you something light to do. Work 10 hours a week and get paid for 35. But let's just turn this into how Fedex is a terrible company and they screw everyone on purpose. I'm very glad I don't work with any of y'all. Couldn't handle the constant whining.

Last edited:

Swngdrvr

I'm not understanding the problem. Doctor said you could do light duty. Fedex offered you something light to do. Work 10 hours a week and get paid for 35. But let's just turn this into how Fedex is a terrible company and they screw everyone on purpose. I'm very glad I don't work with any of y'all. Couldn't handle the constant whining.

Who said I would get paid for 35? The max they could work me is 28. There's no way they will pay me for 35. Even if they did, getting paid for 35 hours, after taxes, insurance, etc. is a severe cut in pay from what I've been getting for the past 6 weeks. So why would I just concede going to work to make less money all of a sudden?

Finally heard back from him today. He wants me to come in and sign the paperwork to get me on the schedule, conveniently 3 days before I'm scheduled for vacation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The whole point here is that this is arbitrary, as in some people get light duty and others don't. I guess you haven't been around long enough to figure it out.

BTW, congratulations Mass Wine Guy on beating lymphoma.

BootsOnTarmac

Who said I would get paid for 35? The max they could work me is 28. There's no way they will pay me for 35. Even if they did, getting paid for 35 hours, after taxes, insurance, etc. is a severe cut in pay from what I've been getting for the past 6 weeks. So why would I just concede going to work to make less money all of a sudden?

Finally heard back from him today. He wants me to come in and sign the paperwork to get me on the schedule, conveniently 3 days before I'm scheduled for vacation.

Since your full time, I would assume your vacation will be paid out at 8 hours per day. FedEx will probably include this in your recovery time.

Swngdrvr

Since your full time, I would assume your vacation will be paid out at 8 hours per day. FedEx will probably include this in your recovery time.

Not when worker's comp is paying you. You have to work at least 10 hours a week if you are going to do light duty, no more than 28 hours. Worker's comp takes your gross pay you get from fedex, subtracts that from the full amount they have, and then pays 66% of that amount to offset the light duty wages.