New to the site, question about light duty

MassWineGuy

The whole point here is that this is arbitrary, as in some people get light duty and others don't. I guess you haven't been around long enough to figure it out.

BTW, congratulations Mass Wine Guy on beating lymphoma.

Thank you. As these cases go, mine responded very well to chemo. But I still don't wish to do it again, nor wish it on anyone.

OP: If you're being offered light duty, even at reduced hours, do it. I know lots of full-time drivers who lately struggle to make 35 or 40 hours/week.

Swngdrvr

Thank you. As these cases go, mine responded very well to chemo. But I still don't wish to do it again, nor wish it on anyone.

OP: If you're being offered light duty, even at reduced hours, do it. I know lots of full-time drivers who lately struggle to make 35 or 40 hours/week.

I started today. My manager told me:"you're talent is going to waste sitting at home. We don't do light duty for just anyone."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I started today. My manager told me:"you're talent is going to waste sitting at home. We don't do light duty for just anyone."

Again, selective offering of light duty...which is wrong. Glad you were fortunate enough to get it. Just another reason we need a union.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Again, selective offering of light duty...which is wrong.

Today: "It's not fair. All rules should be rigidly enforced among all employees."
Tomorrow: "It's not fair. They should make exceptions based on the circumstances and the employee's work history."

Take your pick.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Today: "It's not fair. All rules should be rigidly enforced among all employees."
Tomorrow: "It's not fair. They should make exceptions based on the circumstances and the employee's work history."

Take your pick.

I'll take some consistency and fairness, please.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Take your pick.
You would know about light duty since you come from Station One. That's all there is there.

barnyard

KTM rider
The OP needs to check the worker's comp laws in his/her state to see what is allowed and what is not. In my state, if they offer a light duty job substitute, it has to be for the same average number of hours worked 12 weeks before the injury.

So, unless someone here knows the comp law for the state where the OP resides, the only useful info anyone here can give is, "Check your state's comp laws."

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well said. Everyone who needs it and is cleared by their doctors should be entitled to light duty.
When I was out for a surgery, my papers from HCMP in Memphis said that I must work light duty. SM said, No light duty at our station. No problemo. I stayed home the whole time getting paid.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If I'm a manager.

You tell us you are, but we know you're a shill. Probably from PR or HR, but assigned to monitor social media and either deflect criticism, attack the accuser, and/or lie to make the company look good.

No matter what your title is, you're really bad at your job.

americana50

Not when worker's comp is paying you. You have to work at least 10 hours a week if you are going to do light duty, no more than 28 hours. Worker's comp takes your gross pay you get from fedex, subtracts that from the full amount they have, and then pays 66% of that amount to offset the light duty wages.

Question: If you are on light duty due to an illness, no workers comp, can Fed Ex tell you that 5 hrs a day is the maximum? Can't live on that.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Question: If you are on light duty due to an illness, no workers comp, can Fed Ex tell you that 5 hrs a day is the maximum? Can't live on that.

The alternative is short-term disability, which makes (or made, if it has since changed) up the difference between whatever hours you worked and what it would take to bring you up to 27 for the week. Contact your HCMP person.