New to UPS and have a few raise/driver questions

joet15

Was hired 2 months ago as an unloader/preloader of the package cars. I have already been asked to become an air driver and have passed the driving test and hope to be a full time driver as soon as possible. (Was told 3-4 were retiring in the next 2 years and I am 3 or 4 down on the list of people willing to step up to the plate) They are trying to get a group together to send to driving school in my state so I can air drive.

So first how do raises work at ups?
As a early am loader? Air driver? Ft package driver? Overtime?

Also what would anyone suggest to do as the best way to get to be Ft driver?

And what should I look out for during my career at UPS?

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You would maybe get some real advice if you posted in the Discussions forum rather than Freight.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Seniority is the only way to become a full time driver. I could be wrong but I would be amazed if you're 3-4 from the top and you only have a few months in.

Do air driver and preload until they call your name then become a driver. It's really about the only way to go as far as career at ups is concerned anymore.

Come back on here when you get the call and we can give you some more advice. Know that air driver will by no means prepare you for the pace at which this job needs to be done.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I could be wrong but I would be amazed if you're 3-4 from the top and you only have a few months in.

He said "I am 3 or 4 down on the list of people willing to" go out driving. WILLING was the key word.

I am always amazed how many people don't want to come out. A good friend of mine made the mistake of listening to other pt'ers when he was working inside. All these people telling him how horrible driving was and that he would hate it. He missed several years of seniority because of it. I guess ignorance is bliss.

JL 0513

IMO, the opportunity to be a full time driver is the only reason to even work at UPS as a part timer. I know 10's of thousands of PT's choose to stay PT for the increasing pay and health benefits, but the job beats the hell out of you if you have no interest in a career here. There's much easier gigs.

I unloaded millions of packages over 6 years for the driver payoff. No way I'd do that forever for no career in the end.

There are a lot of other PT jobs at UPS then unload or load. Some are jobs you can do into your middle ages. For $30/hr plus. And free health care and paid Holidays and paid vacations and a decent pension eventually.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
A guy with 3 years seniority just bid the open air driver spot at my hub. Nice that you're getting the shot only a couple months in.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I started, most part timers were college students with no intention of making UPS a career. Some went on and finished their degree. Others stayed and made UPS a great second job. Then there were people like myself that came to the conclusion that they were spinning their wheels and going driving was their best opportunity.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Was hired 2 months ago as an unloader/preloader of the package cars. I have already been asked to become an air driver and have passed the driving test and hope to be a full time driver as soon as possible.
Where the hell are you that you got up the list so quick?

Do the Air Driver thing. Good way to show your management team that you have a chance at FT driving. Sort of like playing Triple A baseball for a season before moving up to the majors. Forget all that stuff about seniority. Anymore management picks and chooses who they want to drive FT. If your management team likes you and you can do the job you are in.