NEW TO UPS..Just got done with my first week. Advice?

U

uber

The Ireggs guy has the worst job, specially when customers send back Pottery Barn packages. Sometimes Costco sends out damaged TVs. That is pain when box is'nt packed right and glass shards just fall out.

I did Irregs for over a year. Piece of cake. No pressure. Time went by too slow, so I asked to be moved.

Grouchy

Thanks for the advice guys.....tomorrow will be a new day and I will go in with a positive mind/attitude.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Buck Fifty

After one week ! I think all is well. They got you scared for your job already. Sound advice from all the guys.By the way, shake your union steward's hand and GET IN THE UNION !

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hello guys, Im new to the forums and UPS.

I've been working as a preloader(4am-8am) for the past week....Unfortunately, I've had several misloads. This is a completely new to job to me. And I don't mind the physicality of it, it's just that I get frazzled when there's one package after the other on the belt that belongs to the trucks I'm in charge of. I lose my train of thought for one split second and I screw up. My trainers make it seem easy but when I'm left alone, that's when the misloads happen :( ...I want to stay with the company really bad because this jobs fits perfectly with my schedule as I also attend school.
I'm a very hard working guy and my supervisors have taken notice of that...I'm just always thinking about failing instead of succeeding.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Belt to car, boxline, ?

There are plenty of other threads for new-hire preloaders, and other shifts...maybe want to give BC a good search? :)

Grouchy

Belt to car, boxline, ?

There are plenty of other threads for new-hire preloaders, and other shifts...maybe want to give BC a good search? :)

Thanks...will do.

Today went a lot better than yesterday. Didn't have any misloads btw yesterday :) ...I know it's friday but next week I will try to keep it up.

Also, what's with this 30days I keep hearing about? is it probation to see if I stay? I wasn't told about it during my hiring process.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Also, what's with this 30days I keep hearing about? is it probation to see if I stay? I wasn't told about it during my hiring process.

30 days till they decide that they want you to stay. Its called "acquiring seniority".

Btw, a belt load is just garbage. They send way too much at one time. Just try your best, learn as much as you can and be positive towards your leadership... for now!

To prevent missloads, check the pal labels twice. Once that you grab them and once while entering the car. Car is important, shelf selection is the next. Learn how to walk while writing. Recall theres four different level changes within a car. One, the first dip in the cars grate. Second, the second dip in the cars grate. Next will be the raise up step on the lower level of the car. Lastly, the level up from the step. Time and practice will make your trip threw a car a breeze. Also, dont waste too much time in a car, always think "keep moving".

srvhero

"leastbest"
Do what our preload does. Get the box in the correct truck no matter where you put it. Just throw boxes in where there is room. This way when the driver complains to sup but they see no miss loads they won't care and you will look great on paper.

NOT good advice............

klolx

Who cares about misloads these days? lol once you get past probation, you wouldn't even have to worry about that

klolx

I didn't mean to imply that anyone who can't load trucks is a failure, obviously; but, when a person can't load trucks, the obvious response is: well, put them in the Primary. So, now, we get to work them as fast, or faster, than they were before, and what happens when they break? Suddenly, it's my fault.

That's BS, is all I'm saying.

Position: Part time Supervisor

btrlov

you got hired off peak so ur in a good position, do your best , dont over think it. Make book in no time and alot of these worries go away

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Hello guys, Im new to the forums and UPS.

I've been working as a preloader(4am-8am) for the past week....Unfortunately, I've had several misloads. This is a completely new to job to me. And I don't mind the physicality of it, it's just that I get frazzled when there's one package after the other on the belt that belongs to the trucks I'm in charge of. I lose my train of thought for one split second and I screw up. My trainers make it seem easy but when I'm left alone, that's when the misloads happen :( ...I want to stay with the company really bad because this jobs fits perfectly with my schedule as I also attend school.
I'm a very hard working guy and my supervisors have taken notice of that...I'm just always thinking about failing instead of succeeding.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

I've worked here over 28 years. Not bragging, just the facts. But I'll tell you what I would tell any other new hire I cared about. Just do what you have to do to gain seniority. That's all that matters.

After that, and listen closely: do the best you can do. And remember that phrase. Anytime some pinhead starts giving you crap about this or that, tell him or her the magic phrase: "I'm doing the best I can". Now, if you say that, it's important to follow their methods, to work safely, and avoid mis-sorts, mis-deliveries, and accidents. To do that, naturally, you will be working slower than they expect. That is OK. You are doing 'the best you can'.

Continue to follow their methods, doing your job and working safely. Never, NEVER get angry. This company WANTS to get up, on and under your skin. Continue to do your job. After some time, you will come to the realization that their methods, their false call for safety and doing your job correctly, will make you a LOT of money. If you are a glutton for punishment, you might work here for a long time. If you do, you will step up, work package car, and maybe even feeders. Again, keep your head, and you will make mucho dineros...