New Truck time

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It could be my imagination, but it looks narrower than an American P100. Does it have dual rear wheels? And is it a gas (petrol to you limeys) or diesel engine? And what is a "digital tachograph" and why do you need one to be legal?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!!

Buck Fifty

It could be my imagination, but it looks narrower than an American P100. Does it have dual rear wheels? And is it a gas (petrol to you limeys) or diesel engine? And what is a "digital tachograph" and why do you need one to be legal?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!!

Dual wheels for sure by the first pic, the digital tach has me stumped also.

Tiny Panda

To answer a few questions

All our trucks are manual, never seen an auto box, dont even know if Mercedes offer an autobox in this model of truck.

Size wise, i'm not sure on actual dimensions but they are the biggest vehicles we have, even bigger then the box trucks. I can just about fit through a 7ft width restriction on my route so they will be a shade under 7ft wide. The pic does make it look narrower than it actually is. They are dual wheeled and have a max gross weight of 7.5 tons.

You can see the difference in length here

IMAG0480.jpg

Cab has loads of space, my only issue is that the floor is quite high compared to my old truck but that was custom built from the chassis up whereas these use the base of the Mercedes model its based on and the floor sits on top of the gearbox.

IMAG0482.jpg

As for the digital tacho that has many of you confused. A tachograph records driving time, speed and daily rests. all vehicles over 3.5 ton are required to have one, they were introduced in the mid 80's to ensure fair working conditions across Europe, original ones record the details on a chart that is inserted in the speedo head at the start of the day. See more info here Tachograph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The digital ones were introduced in 2006 and do away with the need for filling in charts, you get a card the size of a credit card almost identical to your driving license, it has a chip and you insert it into the device i pictured, it automatically records all the data and stores it for 28 days. If we have any infringements on driving hours or dont take the correct rests and and pulled up by VOSA (traffic enforcement) the fines are huge, usually $300-$400 per offence, if you are a long distance driver and dont take your rest they can impound you and force you to take a daily rest period which is usually 9 hours or even longer depending on what offences have been comitted. As you can tell we have some of the strictest driving regulations in the world.

Also get a nice stationary tidy above the windscreen :)

IMAG0490.jpg

Buck Fifty

The Tach wouldn't float here at UPS in America (not yet anyway) for many reasons on both sides. You mention the high floor up front. I like to raise my seat all the way up, so I can eliminate actually having to stand up every time I leave the Driver Seat. Does your seat raise up higher so you can kind of just fall off of it ? Anything to save the body ya know .

swf2e

I don't know if I would call all of them colleagues just yet, this one wound up in an interesting predicament that doesn't just go away. I think he will be needing more than a new truck.
image.jpg

Tiny Panda

Picture of the Driver Seat up and the Jump Seat down please. I'm feeling a little needy.

IMAG0491.jpg

I havent actually sat on it but i'm 6ft and i cant see my feet touching the floor, the dash in easy reach tho. Luckily the only person gonna sit in it will be my helper in a couple of weeks.

The floor is higher and the drivers seat is taken stright from the vehicle is based on so you are in effect getting up out of your seat rather then hopping off it like on the old truck. You can make the seat higher but if i did i would be wedged under the steering wheel

Tiny Panda

Greetings people, thought i would give you an update. i've had her (Lola) now for 7 months and 20,000 miles. Most reliable truck i've had, only been off road 1 day for its 6 monthly safety check. Only issue had been a flat tyre one morning.

Unfortunately having bigger vehicle means it has to be as full as possible, no kicking off bulk drops now.

Rumour has it we've got a load more new trucks arriving soon, hopefully the old ones will be consigned to the scrap heap in the sky.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I cant even imagine what it would be like to drive a car in the UK, much less deliver a route out of a package car. I know I would wind up getting in a head-on collision, and even if I were able to adjust to driving on the left side of the road the stress of navigating those tiny little streets and trying to find parking would be overwhelming. And then there are the accents to deal with; imagine if every single customer on your route sounded like Ozzy Osbourne. I would need a translator!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I cant even imagine what it would be like to drive a car in the UK, much less deliver a route out of a package car. I know I would wind up getting in a head-on collision, and even if I were able to adjust to driving on the left side of the road the stress of navigating those tiny little streets and trying to find parking would be overwhelming. And then there are the accents to deal with; imagine if every single customer on your route sounded like Ozzy Osbourne. I would need a translator!

Just politely ask the customers to sing what they have to say and record it on your diad.:happy-very: