new type of scanner

steward71

in my HUB we just got a new preload sup. we have been using the old smart label system. this is were we have a unloader, someone scanning the package then the sorter. our system is a computer with a printer bring out the label. the sup is wanting to get the new scaners where it is on the sorters hand and he or she is scanning the package then places the ink label on the package and then sorts it, thus using only one person. using this system will cut jobs in the unload and these people will moved some place else. my question is does anyone know anything about these new scanners and do they work? we have one full time that does not want them and said so because he says he has seen them and they don't work and they run out of ink very fast and that some areas have not been using them and have gone back to using the old type of system. just want some feedback if anyone has used them. Thanks

ftballer67

Not sure about your preload, but in my building the sorters would have no chance of keeping up with the flow if they had to scan the pkg before sorting it, with the way the unloaders kick it out. Most of them get buried now with the pace the way it is. Out of sync's would be through the roof as well.

Maybe those would work for some smaller low volume center's that have full time preloads, but as far as I know those are becoming extinct. The two smaller buildings in our district with full time preloads both were closed in 2008 and merged with other larger hubs, with those full time employees working split shifts.

steward71

we have at least 10 to 11 trucks everyday two of which are 53 foot. we have 4 teams 4 unloaders, 4 spa and 4 sorters and 1 sorter that has to cover the return belt that 80% has to be re-spa everyday for the mid-night preload left over. just want some good feed back from people who use this type of scanners with the ink not the paper labels. you are right upstate it would be better to kept the old one we have now but i have a feeling they are going to get the ink one in.

steward71

Not sure about your preload, but in my building the sorters would have no chance of keeping up with the flow if they had to scan the pkg before sorting it, with the way the unloaders kick it out. Most of them get buried now with the pace the way it is. Out of sync's would be through the roof as well.

Maybe those would work for some smaller low volume center's that have full time preloads, but as far as I know those are becoming extinct. The two smaller buildings in our district with full time preloads both were closed in 2008 and merged with other larger hubs, with those full time employees working split shifts.

you right about this one we have two unloaders who can beat the hell of the sorter, i have to hold them up at least 4 times per truck the sorter gets to the point he cannot keep up and our sups don't mind we hold them up they tell us too they don't like the walk way to be over run with packages. that is one thing i can say is good about our full time sups they will hold the unloaders up themselves if they see the sorter is back up.

ftballer67

Yeah I figured this was the case, smaller hub. We usually have around 40 trailers, 4-5... 53 footers, 1 that is usually all bulk.

JonFrum

The Teamsters seem to be dead in the water, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your Stewards, Business Agents and/or Local Officers if Contract Article 6 has been invoked.

Let us know if the Teamsters have obtained any information on the new scanners, and if they have reached any agreements regarding their effects on the Bargaining Unit.

ARTICLE 6
Section 3. New Equipment
Where new types of equipment and/or operations, for which rates of pay are not established by this Agreement, are put into use after the ratification date of this Agreement within operations covered by this Agreement, rates governing such operations shall be subject to negotiations between the parties. This paragraph shall apply to all new types of equipment including office and clerical equipment.

In the event agreement cannot be reached within sixty (60) days after the date such equipment is put into use, the matter may be submitted to the National Grievance Committee for final disposition. Rates agreed upon or awarded shall be effective as of the date equipment is put to use.

Section 4. Technological Change
1. Technological change shall be defined as any significant change in equipment or materials which results in a significant change in the work of the bargaining unit or diminishes the number of workers in the bargaining unit.

2. The Employer and the Union agree to establish a National Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change, consisting of an equal number of representatives from the Union and UPS. The Committee shall meet in conjunction with the National Grievance Panel as necessary to review any planned technological changes covered by this Section.

3. The Employer will advise the affected Local Unions and the National Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change of any proposed technological changes at least six (6) months prior to the implementation of such change except where the change was later determined in which case the Employer shall provide as much notice as possible.

4. The Employer shall be required to provide the Local Union or the National Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change, upon written request, any relevant information to the extent available regarding the technological changes.

5. The Employer will meet with the Local Union, or, if requested, the National Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change, promptly after notification to negotiate regarding the effects of the proposed technological changes.

If a technological change creates new work that replaces, enhances or modifies bargaining unit work, bargaining unit employees will perform that new or modified work. The Employer shall provide bargaining unit employees with training required to utilize the new technology, if necessary.

6. In the event that the Local Union and Employer cannot reach an agreement on effects, the matter shall be referred to the National Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change.

7. In the event that the National Committee cannot reach agreement on the dispute, either party may refer all outstanding disputes to the National Grievance Committee for resolution in accordance with the provisions of Article 8 in order to determine if the Employer has violated the provisions of this Section or if the change will result in a violation of any other provision of the collective bargaining agreement.