new union steward

Notretiredyet

Start attending union meetings
Introduce yourself to your BA and get his phone number
if you don't know the answer tell them you'll get back to them and make sure you do
Get yourself a small pocket size day planner to write notes in when someone gets into trouble or has a question
Get yourself a contract book
Good Luck from a longtime steward.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
document EVERYTHING!

learn to pick your battles. it's easy to to win the battle but lose the war

stay VERY organized. make copies of your grievances,and copies of the copies. Be CERTAIN the grievances are filled out perfectly to the letter

Be prepared for some of the membership to be very critical and vocal about your abilities( here in my wonderful RTW state it's usually the NON members that gripe the loudest) again pick your battles

being a steward can really suck sometimes,but boy o boy when you can keep a member from being harassed,intimidated or help win back pay there is NO better feeling

raceanoncr

Uh, not to be a jerk here, but I will anyway. You just got appointed a steward and you're asking for advice HERE? On an INTERNET FORUM?

How did you get appointed? Have you talked to your BA? Did you get appointed by the local? By popular vote? How? And you're asking for tips HERE?

I kinda have a hard time with this one. You don't just pick up a sticky and pin it on your chest and say you're a steward. You kinda have to EARN it!

More info, please.

laffter

Uh, not to be a jerk here, but I will anyway. You just got appointed a steward and you're asking for advice HERE? On an INTERNET FORUM?

How did you get appointed? Have you talked to your BA? Did you get appointed by the local? By popular vote? How? And you're asking for tips HERE?

I kinda have a hard time with this one. You don't just pick up a sticky and pin it on your chest and say you're a steward. You kinda have to EARN it!

More info, please.

He picked the short straw.

cynic

More info, please.

dire2000 I wish you success in your growth as a steward. Some day I hope to do likewise.

In RTW states with VERY low PT'er membership it is almost impossible to find a steward working your sort. I've talked to my BA about becoming a steward, I'm sick of seeing my coworkers getting ****ed over daily - whether IBT member or not, it is still a violation of the contract.

Yes, I have read the contract, I have a moderate understanding of it, but as a PT'er I seriously fear ****ing up when representing someone who is a FT'er facing termination. It's definitely a case of "performance anxiety" - I do not want to fail to perform steward duties perfectly and cost someone their job. I have a great 1st job, am here for the benefits, and would love to know where to read about the duties of a steward or training classes offered. I'm management's worst nightmare because I don't back down.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was a steward for 10 years when I worked for the phone company. It's a thankless job. The handful of people who appreciate you will never show their appreciation so all you'll hear is ungrateful bitching. Management won't mess with you quite as much but they still will. The biggest thing is don't answer a question if you aren't positive of the answer. Call your rep or BA for the answer if you can't find it in the contract.

Last week another driver tried pulling seniority on me on something that he couldn't and he told our new on car sup that he could. The rookie on-car asked a newer steward who agreed with the driver. I later confirmed with the center manager and a veteran steward that the wrong action was taken and that the steward had given bad info. Don't be that guy.