New UPS dolly in our future

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
I would think its for weight distribution . Holland uses tandem dollys as well. Freight is definitely heavier in most cases then parcel.
Parcel can actually be a much heavier set because of the ease of cubing a trailer completely. It's difficult to cube an LTL freight trailer 100% due to skid configuration. The extra axle will allow for more gross weight for the few states that allow over 80,000 lbs. like Michigan for example but for most states, a heavier dolly just means less freight capacity because of the max gross weight. The main advantage to a double axel dolly is simple stability, they pull much more straight (less wiggle). The best dolly set-up out there is the single axel with the double eyes for the double pindle hooks. One less movable joint=extremely stable.

UPS4Life

Parcel can actually be a much heavier set because of the ease of cubing a trailer completely. It's difficult to cube an LTL freight trailer 100% due to skid configuration. The extra axle will allow for more gross weight for the few states that allow over 80,000 lbs. like Michigan for example but for most states, a heavier dolly just means less freight capacity because of the max gross weight. The main advantage to a double axel dolly is simple stability, they pull much more straight (less wiggle). The best dolly set-up out there is the single axel with the double eyes for the double pindle hooks. One less movable joint=extremely stable.
Just out of curiosity has anyone went over the scales with a set of 100% pups? I know packages make a difference and there is an endless number of possibility but what would a "full set" weigh? Is it close on weight and also are you close on the drive axle if you have a single axle?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Another note to ponder on. This seems like a great idea but who's at fault when the dolly doesn't extend back out after you slow down and crunch? Or were you suppose to get out before turning and make sure it extended?

Sent using BrownCafe App

standtall

Just out of curiosity has anyone went over the scales with a set of 100% pups? I know packages make a difference and there is an endless number of possibility but what would a "full set" weigh? Is it close on weight and also are you close on the drive axle if you have a single axle?

Sent using BrownCafe App
The weight does vary wildly depending on the commodities being shipped. I've scaled 100% sets (2 trailers) that range from 55,000 to 82,000. As far as the single axel, the nice thing about a 100% load of parcels as opposed to a 100% load of LTL is that it is almost always distributed better throughout the trailer, therefore, the single axel is perfect (not always), the twin screw can put you over weight on your gross or your drive axel if the trailers are loaded very heavy (6 axles instead of 5).

standtall

Another note to ponder on. This seems like a great idea but who's at fault when the dolly doesn't extend back out after you slow down and crunch? Or were you suppose to get out before turning and make sure it extended?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Always the drivers fault!!!

Brown Now

Actually,I came from freight(LTL) before coming to feeder. LTL freight trailers on average are definitely heavier than the trailers I weigh every night on my triples run.

On average, the trailers I pull are usually 22-26 thousand pounds gross. Subtract 9K for the weight of the trailer and your looking at around 13-15K of actual cargo weight per trailer.

standtall

Actually,I came from freight(LTL) before coming to feeder. LTL freight trailers on average are definitely heavier than the trailers I weigh every night on my triples run.

On average, the trailers I pull are usually 22-26 thousand pounds gross. Subtract 9K for the weight of the trailer and your looking at around 13-15K of actual cargo weight per trailer.
Hence the words "CAN be much heavier", not "are always much heavier".

UPS4Life

Ya know we are testing these Dolly's to improve fuel mileage but yet I drive a new lng truck and the fairing Is a good foot below the trailer so that is great for aerodynamics. The second flaw, there's at least 6ft from the back of the cab to the front of the trailer

Sent using BrownCafe App

standtall

Ya know we are testing these Dolly's to improve fuel mileage but yet I drive a new lng truck and the fairing Is a good foot below the trailer so that is great for aerodynamics. The second flaw, there's at least 6ft from the back of the cab to the front of the trailer

Sent using BrownCafe App
Hey!!!!!! You know as well as I do that there's a good reason for everything that they do, no matter how ridiculous it seems. For instance, the low fairing, that's intentional so the local guys can tear the top off the trailers on the low viaducts without damaging the expensive LNG tractors. As for the 6 or 7 foot gap between tractor and trailer, that's by design so the company can add a sleeper to all the trucks after the next contract and make all feeder drivers run an extra-board team schedule and only get them home two days every three weeks. They're very wise, those executives are!!

UPS4Life

Hey!!!!!! You know as well as I do that there's a good reason for everything that they do, no matter how ridiculous it seems. For instance, the low fairing, that's intentional so the local guys can tear the top off the trailers on the low viaducts without damaging the expensive LNG tractors. As for the 6 or 7 foot gap between tractor and trailer, that's by design so the company can add a sleeper to all the trucks after the next contract and make all feeder drivers run an extra-board team schedule and only get them home two days every three weeks. They're very wise, those executives are!!
The hell with a sleeper you'll just sleep on the deck plate lol

Sent using BrownCafe App

standtall

The hell with a sleeper you'll just sleep on the deck plate lol

Sent using BrownCafe App
I've fell asleep in much worse places, although for some reason, when it happens, I can never remember how I got there and my head hurts the next day???

anonymousupsman

http://m.fleetowner.com/equipment/silver-eagle-offers-gap-managing-trailer-dolly

Should be interesting when pulling triples. I'll take double longs over triples any day.

View attachment 29150
These are made in Portland Oregon, and are currently being tested here. Right now we are running them south and east out of Portland. They allow you to pull triples with a tandem axle semi so you don't go over the 105 feet threshold but they are currently not legal because at speeds below 45 mph they extend out and you were over the 105ft