New UPS service-"Basic 85"??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you have any idea what this is(UPS MAIL Innovations). I have not seen it before

UPS Mail Innovations is a high-volume mailing service provider offering an efficient and effective way of delivering your mail. From postal costs to time in transit to packaging labor, our services can streamline, optimize, and synchronize your mailing process.

Last edited:

tae111

We got most of the DHL volume from this company and almost all of the FEDX. USPS still gets some. If I submit a sales lead for this volume we'll be taking it from.....us. Hmm

Hawk780

No One in Particular
The zip code determines whether a Basic package is delivered by UPS or USPS. Generally speaking, the extended rural zips will go post office (they have to deliver the mail there anyways), and the zips closer to a center will go UPS.

The service is already in place for all Worldship customers, but they have to be approved to use it, which is why you're not seeing much of it (yet).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have six usps on my area,and about 50% of those stops I deliver another pkg to the same address. How are they saving money?

How is who saving money?

The consignee is saving money because Basic is a reduced shipping option. The USPS is making money on the additional packages and UPS is making money from a revenue source that used to go primarily USPS. We are also saving money by having the USPO deliver the pkg the last leg. Yes, there will be instances where you will have other pkgs for the same address as the Basic you just left at the Post Office, but that is not always the case, and we save money on you not having to run off that "chaser".

Basic is not going anywhere. It is not subcontracting. It is a cost effective way to service the customer while building a mutually advantageous relationship with the USPS.

Of course, the rural carriers hate Basic, but that's their problem, not ours.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a garbage rte the other day, Wed. One of my del's was to the local PO. I had nearly 100 pcs for them. Our basic volume is going through the roof.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I saw the bulk stop printout the other day and 9 of our 22 biggest multiple parcel stops were Post Offices. One got 127 pkgs.

Shortimer

I delivered over 500 pkgs this wk to the PO on my rte. Some Cnee & myself find this service a disservice!!!! It is, in my opinion, costing us FT jobs... at this point, in previous yrs, they would be running more splits for all the stops we would have.
Then I come home and watch the PO TV ads for their flat rate boxes. We are in competition with them. Why should they go the final leg of the delivery? As a CNEE I would think that the shipper thinks the PO can do a better job of servicing the customer. The CNEE I have spoken with think it is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! The PO drops the pkg in plain site, not always out of weather & does not ring the bell/or knock. This also does not take into acct that it takes 1 more day to get the pkg to the CNEE. Last, I guess Art 26 of the National Master can be rewritten the next contract.

Shortimer

I delivered over 500 pkgs this wk to the PO on my rte. Some Cnee & myself find this service a disservice!!!! It is, in my opinion, costing us FT jobs... at this point, in previous yrs, they would be running more splits for all the stops we would have.
Then I come home and watch the PO TV ads for their flat rate boxes. We are in competition with them. Why should they go the final leg of the delivery? As a CNEE I would think that the shipper thinks the PO can do a better job of servicing the customer. The CNEE I have spoken with think it is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! The PO drops the pkg in plain site, not always out of weather & does not ring the bell/or knock. This also does not take into acct that it takes 1 more day to get the pkg to the CNEE. Last, I guess Art 26 of the National Master can be rewritten the next contract.

The pkg's I am delivering to the post office now. I delivered to the house before. Customers ask me how to have UPS deilver there pkg's all the way. They tell me the shipper makes the decision. The receiver of these pkg's are very unhappy.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
If you think about it, all Basic packages delivered to the Post Office already have two addresses and two bar codes on them. It wouldn't take much tweaking of the system to determine where a Basic package would be delivered to once it reaches the center. If I have three Basic packages addressed to the Post Office for three addresses that I have other stuff for, wouldn't it benefit UPS if I could eliminate one stop?

You must remember that we're talking about UPS!:happy2:

:happy-very::happy2::funny:

TSup

Just a few points
1) Basic is a service that saves the shipper money
2) SmartPost is FedEx's equivilant service
3) If we lose Basic, FedEx will gain ever MORE share from us

I think you are seeing an increase in USPS volume because shippers are now more than ever looking to cut shipping costs for themselves and the consumer. Like I said above we MUST have something that allows us to compete with FedEx or we will lose those opportunities.

If you don't believe me look at the Fed Ex website and how much they are pushing this service (up to 70lbs BTW)
http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/

Who pays for lost or damaged pkgs? I am sorry,but I disagree it gains runs. As I said before we have lost 5 to 6 bid areas due to this service. After the 1st of the year I am sure we will lose more. As more shippers use this service. Ups employee's and the customer who orders the pkg are the losers. Where I deliver Fedex can't and wont offer the service we give the consinsee.

Last edited:

bad company

semi-pro
Who pays for lost or damaged pkgs? I am sorry,but I disagree it gains runs. As I said before we have lost 5 to 6 bid areas due to this service. After the 1st of the year I am sure we will lose more. As more shippers use this service. Ups employee's and the customer who orders the pkg are the losers. Where I deliver Fedex can't and wont offer the service we give the consinsee.

Your assessment that 5-6 runs were lost as a result of BASIC, is assuming that all BASIC volume would otherwise be shipped as Ground or another higher level of service. Since shippers use BASIC because it is a no-frills low-cost solution, your assumption is more likely than not, wrong.

What other people on here are saying is that if we didn't offer this service, we would lose this volume to FedEx via SmartPost, or directly to the post office.

So if anything, UPS offering BASIC to our larger accounts have "saved or created" (That's an Obamanism*) more jobs at UPS.