new UPSer

daniel_mata

Hey, i'm daniel. I just got hired as a driver helper in ventura ca. I have a few questions though, hopefully they can be answered. my first question is what are the chances i can be hired full time after the end of the season? in orientation the manager said he was looking for 3 people to hire full time, but out of all the people in the ventura center, what are the chances it can be me? and, what are the similarity's and differences of being a ups driver and a helper? i'm pretty good at being a helper. but what are the differences between the two jobs? the driver job looks pretty easy, but i'm sure i'm only seeing half of it (literally, i work half of my drivers shift).

brownrod

my first question is what are the chances i can be hired full time after the end of the season? in orientation the manager said he was looking for 3 people to hire full time, but out of all the people in the ventura center, what are the chances it can be me?

First of all I wouldn't believe that manager at all. What he said about hiring full time was most likely just to motivate everyone at the orientation to show up everyday and work hard.

The chance that there is any truth to the fact that they are hiring for full time is almost zero. Talk to any driver you work with he will tell you what you need to know and should also know of the manager was just blowing smoke.

Most centers have too many drivers.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
are you agreeing with me?

Hi daniel,

First of all welcome to the BrownCafe!

The chances of you getting hired right away are probably zero, however each center and area are different. With the economy the way it is right now most areas have a surplus of drivers. After peak season (the Christmas holiday) the volume of packages will drop off significantly and even in good times hiring isn't done till spring when volume starts to come back.

The best thing to do is to ask the manager of the center you drive out of or someone in Human Resources. They may need part time help but full time is hard to come by right now...

Good luck!:peaceful: