New vans

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The difference being they can operate it. It just doesn't work. They don't need an instructional video on proper ac operation to figure it out.

Neither do Express guys. As the other guy said, it's the Euro control configuration. Push a few buttons and turn the knob and you get the cold air where we want it.

But if Ground guys want to brag about knowing how to operate an A/C unit that doesn't even work, ummm, good on them. I think.

Damon77

The new vans are nice, definitely alot more room than the Fords. Only thing I notice is the Govenor is set right at 70 mph. Don't expect to pass anyone on the highway.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The new vans are nice, definitely alot more room than the Fords. Only thing I notice is the Govenor is set right at 70 mph. Don't expect to pass anyone on the highway.

The corporate speed limit is 65 mph, another way for them to jettison you if they want to.

SmithBarney

New GMC vans you sit higher, and the cargo area is smaller and narrower, unless your STA sprung for the extended van... otherwise all shorties.

HomeDelivery

too bad many contractors that have recently expanded their fleet didn't get the Reach... it's just too expensive, eventhough it boasts better mpg & longevity.

The Ford e450 are easy to work on & since there are tons of these vehicles running about, the replacement parts cost are way cheaper than those sprinters that Express has purchased...

I got to drive a spankin' new one today:

ah the yellow handrail that was also seen on the Reach; i personally don't want it, but this vehicle isn't mine so it'll stay on there.

typical ford console; wtf no power door locks?!? I have to manually insert a key for the bulkhead/side doors/ and rear garage door... way to cheap out on the important stuff!

at least we have a fan and backup monitor...

radio is so-so due to the antenna, but at least i can put in a CD or a USB/ audio input cable for a mp3 player...

needs a longer mast to go above the roofline...

ah, shelves... and roomier than a typical sprinter

AC works as well which was surprising for this is probably the last week of another heat wave...

the typical build quality is poorer than the older repainted DHL vehicles i've driven in the past. I prefer the older DHL vehicles since they were equipped with power locks / transmitter-fob...

gas engine is quiet and "torque -y "

i did drove the newer GMC vehicles & they seem to have their transmissions up to par now.

Express will have higher repair/maintenance costs with those mercedes sprinters...

whenIgetthere

The corporate speed limit is 65 mph, another way for them to jettison you if they want to.

I asked one of the guys driving the new Mercedes sprinter how it was. He said the governor was set at 75, and it was nice to be able to pass the other sprinters on the way out to their areas. I asked why are you driving 75 to your area, since your only screwing yourself! This guy is a 30 year employee! Nuts!

Rhoderunner

I asked one of the guys driving the new Mercedes sprinter how it was. He said the governor was set at 75, and it was nice to be able to pass the other sprinters on the way out to their areas. I asked why are you driving 75 to your area, since your only screwing yourself! This guy is a 30 year employee! Nuts!

Um, maybe the coffee shop only makes so many eclairs and he's always missed out !!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

What a maroon. Any serious infraction will get you a letter, and 2 will get you suspended. There are still people who do this every single day, and I just laugh to myself as they go screaming past me. I know a very high seniority employee who was fired within the last year for doing 20 over.

HomeDelivery

agrees, you get caught speeding & it's a 3-month suspension... by the time the suspension is over, you are replaced with another driver. No way a contractor will rehire someone with unsafe methods & will have his contract pulled because of a bad driver...

check6ii

The Pseudo-Benz (owned by FIAT) vans are JUNK-electrical nightmares.......a/c cranks tho. But why diesel thats 4bux a gallon?????? Silly IMO.

check6ii

What a maroon. Any serious infraction will get you a letter, and 2 will get you suspended. There are still people who do this every single day, and I just laugh to myself as they go screaming past me. I know a very high seniority employee who was fired within the last year for doing 20 over.

Ya-IDIOT. Youd think after 30yrs, he woulda figured out its no fun screwing yerself. Better to screw the Company! RELAX>>>>>>KIDDING

brown_trousers

The Pseudo-Benz (owned by FIAT) vans are JUNK-electrical nightmares.......a/c cranks tho. But why diesel thats 4bux a gallon?????? Silly IMO.

I've never understood the usefulness of vans or sprinters in our industry. As a former Home delivery driver and a current UPS driver, I can bare witness that a "real" package car is about 1000x better to use for delivering packages than vans or sprinters.

HomeDelivery

I've never understood the usefulness of vans or sprinters in our industry. As a former Home delivery driver and a current UPS driver, I can bare witness that a "real" package car is about 1000x better to use for delivering packages than vans or sprinters.

well, they(Express) are going to be lighter with smaller boxes/envelopes/bags... but couldn't they just used up-fitted domestic cargo vans instead? the mpg of those diesel-powered sprinters really outweigh the maintenance costs (parts from Mercedes Bens ~ 3 times > Ford/GMC parts)

-----------------------

Agrees that with a real step-van setup, your day is so much more efficient; i was under 9 hours the whole past month when put into a standard step-van setup with sliding side doors/ bulkhead door...

as for the newer Ford E450 chassis with Utilimaster bodies... i just calculated the MPG of those gas engines.

it was a whopping 7-8 MPG! now vs the Isuzu Reach or Mercedes/Freightlinger Sprinter's mpg, for a contractor, was it still feasable to get these vans ???

I knew it was cheaper; a few contractors can buy 2 of them vs one Reach... and i guess the local mechanics already worked on thousands of Ford/GMC vehicles to have less down-time...

I'm small enough to squeeze between the shelves of the sprinter & when on a rural route with less than 120 stops, it's sufficient... but lately the sprinters & upfitted GMC vans i saw on my terminal are being "bricked out" like a boxtruck & the pass-thru bulkhead will stay closed, making these vehicles less efficient than a standard box-body vehicle.

HomeDelivery

well well, i'm driving the rental nissan nv2500 low roof & what a powerhouse engine:surprised:

similar to the armada/titan... just gobs of "oomph" when the pedal is lightly pressed down; bet it's a gas hog though

sliding side door, i prefer it over barn doors

rear barn doors that fold out to the sides of the van ~ similar to the mercedes/dodge sprinter

squarer box cargo area than a standard gmc/ford commercial van = more stuff can be bricked out

interior has that import feel with wacky looking controls; easily adjusted to it already (only been driving it 3 days)

front hood area is longer than the gmc/ford... and turning radius is slightly worse as well

i like it:likeit:

2012_Nissan_NV2500.jpg

high roof would have been better, but i know that i won't be bricked out anytime soon because i'm now "hourly"