New Year New FedEx

hypo hanna

Most of them play dumb when you tell them how much a midrange driver is making. I'm sorry but at my station they are the first to refuse work and first to clock out. And they are not being boned like the rest of us. In my book that doesn't gain respect with me.
Again, what would you have them do? I've been with fedex for 30 years and I know how you guys are being mistreated. I have pointed out how wrong it is in station meetings and on this public forum. I thought the elimination of second shift pay was particularly bad as it affected newer employees disproportionatly.
First to clock out and first to turn down work? You bet! It's called "seniority" and "working as directed". Don't think for a minute that we aren't getting our own raw deal.

hypo hanna

Try and keep in mind that the compensation they were promised was far more then what you were offered. Most of that has been taken away and now they are left holding an empty bag and too old to move on.
Yes there still some old kool aid drinkers around who feel some sort of entitlement over newer drivers but I like to think of them like that senile old uncle who believes he is still in the war and wears a diaper.
So what would you have the rest of them do? Work extra hours? Take stops off newer drivers routes? That's not going to happen. They are getting shafted just like you by the very same fedex management. That is who you should save your hatred for.

MAKAVELI

Try and keep in mind that the compensation they were promised was far more then what you were offered. Most of that has been taken away and now they are left holding an empty bag and too old to move on.
Yes there still some old kool aid drinkers around who feel some sort of entitlement over newer drivers but I like to think of them like that senile old uncle who believes he is still in the war and wears a diaper.
So what would you have the rest of them do? Work extra hours? Take stops off newer drivers routes? That's not going to happen. They are getting shafted just like you by the very same fedex management. That is who you should save your hatred for.
No hatred here . No respect either for those who think they shouldn't have to work as hard as another.

hypo hanna

No hatred here . No respect either for those who think they shouldn't have to work as hard as another.
That's fine, just don't stereotype.us all as holding the same view. Most of the older drivers in my location feel you are getting a raw deal. They also know there isn't a thing they can do about it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
That's fine, just don't stereotype.us all as holding the same view. Most of the older drivers in my location feel you are getting a raw deal. They also know there isn't a thing they can do about it.
Absolutely...as a long-since-topped-out 30+ year employee, I think the current pay progression at this place is criminal. And long-timers shouldn't be screwing the pooch at the expense of the newer guys.

That having been said, we've taken a hell of a beating ourselves, and as Hannah pointed out - we're old now. We too are screwed with the same joke of a healthcare plan as everyone else here - and did I mention we're old now?...with the same joke of a healthcare plan?....and all that that implies?

I don't foist work onto the younger guys, but I'll freely admit I'll exercise my option not to ever work Sundays or holidays and I should be able to guiltlessly schedule ALL of my vacation weeks in the summer if I should so desire (I never do) because seniority should count for SOMETHING....shouldn't it?

bbsam

Staff member
Wow. Fred really has molded the perfect climate in which to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, to whomever he wants.

Goldilocks

We wish all of you the best and yes you should be topped out in 18 months, like most of us. However, we the Seniors must take care of ourselves first. We should be making UPS topped out wage no questions asked, hands down.....Until then we will WAD....

Pimpedoutatjgx

I too have never been happier and I got fired. It took me a while to get a new job but it was worth it. This year was the first time in 9 years I was able to do Christmas things. Many of my family members where shocked when I showed up on Christmas rather then just sleep the entire day. Going to friends houses for parties, get togethers, you get to have a life. I hate malls but I went shopping with my girlfriend, it was kinda nice. Many of my friends have commented to me I'm happier, nicer, not a miserable piss of sh@@ anymore. It's true. The Only drawn back is I gained 10 pounds because I'm not running around anymore. Best of luck to you.
That's awesome. 16 years and I've forgotten what it's like to do NORMAL Christmas things. Peace to you.

fedupforsure

I can see both sides of this issue. You do the same work so you feel you should get the same pay. On the other hand it took many couriers 25-30 to reach their pay level so why should you reach it in 12?

hypo hanna

I can see both sides of this issue. You do the same work so you feel you should get the same pay. On the other hand it took many couriers 25-30 to reach their pay level so why should you reach it in 12?
Not really. Me and most every topped out driver I know did it in 10 to 15 years.
That was in the 90's before they restructured the pay progression.

hypo hanna

Yes, he has, and this discussion is a perfect example of how it's done. The bottom line is that Mr. Smith deserves a minimum effort from each and every one of us.
That is my New Years resolution.. To find new ways to do less for fedex. Might as well since executive management is constantly looking for new ways to cut my compensation.

dezguy

UPS tops out in 2 years. It shouldn't take 25-30 years to top out in the first place. Even the 5-10 years it used to take is ridiculous.

bigbird00

I'am at a station with many 20 plus year couriers.This years peak was as ugly as it could get.The thing with Express in this profit hungry world we should have a plan B in place.For me and many of my coworkers once you turn 55 you can take the traditional pension with a penalty.To me it is worth it and the count down is on to 55.I will have to something else,but where I live the unemployment rate is around 3%.Plus I have other skills to fall back on.For anyone who has started after 2008 the TPP is gone and the portable plan is crap paying 1% while FDX makes 12 to 15 %.The company has a plan to get rid of the 20 plus legacy couriers.believe it.Express is an entry level job anymore.We have a major medical plan.Top of range pay is gone.DRA is a trainwreck and they won't bail on it because its there for the future courier.Its not the job it was ten years ago we all know it.Untill i'am 55 its WAD.Thats all I look forward to.I feel for the ones that started in the last ten years.Its just not worth it anymore.Peace! (Bigbird)

El Morado Diablo

Our station has a large gap in terms of years of service between the topped out couriers and everyone else. We are about as two-tiered as you can possibly be. We have people in meetings with management present openly telling the mid-range guys and new hires they should be actively looking for new jobs. It's rather comical watching the managers try to defend or deflect the conversations once they get started. They usually just keep quiet because people get emotional and there is nothing they can say to justify FedEx's rationale.

bigbird00

Our station has a large gap in terms of years of service between the topped out couriers and everyone else. We are about as two-tiered as you can possibly be. We have people in meetings with management present openly telling the mid-range guys and new hires they should be actively looking for new jobs. It's rather comical watching the managers try to defend or deflect the conversations once they get started. They usually just keep quiet because people get emotional and there is nothing they can say to justify FedEx's rationale.
We get threatened with insubordnation warning letter with that kind of talk.