New Year, Same Story, Same Lie

Not IN Trace

Well today at our PCM we got the once a year FEDEX Ground is going to put us out of business crap....
The SUP had a list of routes that have been cut since 2000...all because FEDEX Ground, not because of...
1) The worst recession in 30 years
2) The PAS system and technology and production improvments.
3) Diverting volume to the post office.
4) Treating our customers like CRAP.
I will admit we are losing volume to FEDEX....but in the past 11 YEARS can you please tell me what serious plan UPS has rolled out to stop losing market share to FEDEX??
Answer....NONE.
Oh wait here is there answer...your overpaid..we cant match there prices
Oh but Scott Davis brags to his wall street buds that UPS is about to get some great labor cost reductions from the last labor contract....
Preloaders make the same they did back in the 1980's and no insurance for a year..
What the SUP said while talking really takes the cake...."Fedex system is designed to be full and handle lots of packages".....Oh....and ours is not??
What a joke.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS. Their price point is far lower than ours which allows them to undercut us on price. Their time in transit is better than ours on some lanes. Their level of service is improving and with the transition to the ISP model the contractors will be able to offer significant pay raises to their drivers. FedEx Ground is on the road 1-2 hours before we are.

We ignored RPS--we cannot afford to ignore Ground.

FedEx Ground is getting their act together to make a serious run at UPS. Their price point is far lower than ours which allows them to undercut us on price. Their time in transit is better than ours on some lanes. Their level of service is improving and with the transition to the ISP model the contractors will be able to offer significant pay raises to their drivers. FedEx Ground is on the road 1-2 hours before we are.

We ignored RPS--we cannot afford to ignore Ground.
About ninty% of the customers on my route think the service they get from Fedex Ground is on the level of :censored2: bag service. Just saying

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

About ninty% of the customers on my route think the service they get from Fedex Ground is on the level of :censored2: bag service. Just saying

In this economy shippers are willing to trade service for price. If you notice I said their level of service was improving...in some cases it does have a long way to go; however, reading some of the posts here by upsers tells me we have some issues as well.

Nimnim

The Nim
In this economy shippers are willing to trade service for price. If you notice I said their level of service was improving...in some cases it does have a long way to go; however, reading some of the posts here by upsers tells me we have some issues as well.

The last few times I ordered something online and had it go through Fedex, I had to go pick it up from their nearest location. For some reason they can't find my address. I don't really care about how long it takes to get to me, but it's worth more to me if I don't have to go pick it up myself.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
We also only made about 5 billion in profits last year, so as you can see we are in big trouble.

The big thing in my building has been to pust the sorph up again. Now telling most drivers we need to add another stop per hour to our 10 hour days.

Out with a sup. last week and he was telling me to walk across the grass, nothing about staying on walk paths there. Looks like they are going to start tossing safety out the window again all in the name of us going like bats out of hell.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We also only made about 5 billion in profits last year, so as you can see we are in big trouble.

The big thing in my building has been to pust the sorph up again. Now telling most drivers we need to add another stop per hour to our 10 hour days.

Out with a sup. last week and he was telling me to walk across the grass, nothing about staying on walk paths there. Looks like they are going to start tossing safety out the window again all in the name of us going like bats out of hell.

Start? I haven't seen a concern about safety in years!:angry:

clueless

Noting that UPS does not provide a segment breakdown for compensation whereas FedEx does, according to the last ten 10-K's filed with the SEC :

FY2001 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 57%
FY2001 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 42%
FY2001 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 20%

FY2002 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 57%
FY2002 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 44%
FY2002 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 20%

FY2003 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 57%
FY2003 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 43%
FY2003 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 20%

FY2004 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 57%
FY2004 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 43%
FY2004 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 19%

FY2005 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 53%
FY2005 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 41%
FY2005 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 18%

FY2006 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 51%
FY2006 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 39%
FY2006 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 18%

FY2007 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 64%
FY2007 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 39%
FY2007 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 17%

FY2008 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 51%
FY2008 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 37%
FY2008 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 16%

FY2009 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 57%
FY2009 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 39%
FY2009 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 16%

FY2010 UPS compensation as % of total revenues 53%
FY2010 FDX compensation as % of total revenues 39%
FY2010 FDX Ground compensation as % of Ground revenues 16%

Everyone on BC (both mgmt and hourly) need to take off the blinders and take a good look at things that are happening. I am not addressing service or cost but the reality is I ordered many items on line this past Christmas and the net result was a total of 14 deliveries...only 2 delivered by UPS! Yesterday I ordered an accessory for my Sharp TV, guess who is delivering it and it doesn't start with a U! Many shippers no longer give you a choice for delivery so don't go with the crap about ordering it somewhere else if the product is specific to one manufacturer. It doesn't matter whether UPS made a profit or not. Everyone complains about routes being broken up well, dah!, which trucks do you think those packages came from that are now in FEDEX Ground trucks. I got a good idea they weren't painted red, white and blue. It seems the only time I get a delivery from UPS is when I need a refill on medication from MEDCO! It is time to get a handle on this instead of blaming each other. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

brownelf

we'll all be hearing more and more doom and gloom from mgmt as the contract negotations get closer. Typical posturing by both sides are due to begin, start saving money now guys just in case we end up on the picket line in 2013.

we'll all be hearing more and more doom and gloom from mgmt as the contract negotations get closer. Typical posturing by both sides are due to begin, start saving money now guys just in case we end up on the picket line in 2013.

It doesn't matter to me because I'm retired but, you have a good point. Better save up a lot of money as if there is a strike UPS will probably downsize the company and if your lucky maybe, just maybe half of the those people picketing may have a job to come back to. I heard they almost pulled that plug in '97. Surely with Fedex Ground in place, they would reluctantly consider to do so this time

washington57

It doesn't matter to me because I'm retired but, you have a good point. Better save up a lot of money as if there is a strike UPS will probably downsize the company and if your lucky maybe, just maybe half of the those people picketing may have a job to come back to. I heard they almost pulled that plug in '97. Surely with Fedex Ground in place, they would reluctantly consider to do so this time

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop scaremongering.

The Milkman

Well today at our PCM we got the once a year FEDEX Ground is going to put us out of business crap....
The SUP had a list of routes that have been cut since 2000...all because FEDEX Ground, not because of...
1) The worst recession in 30 years
2) The PAS system and technology and production improvments.
3) Diverting volume to the post office.
4) Treating our customers like CRAP.
I will admit we are losing volume to FEDEX....but in the past 11 YEARS can you please tell me what serious plan UPS has rolled out to stop losing market share to FEDEX??
Answer....NONE.
Oh wait here is there answer...your overpaid..we cant match there prices
Oh but Scott Davis brags to his wall street buds that UPS is about to get some great labor cost reductions from the last labor contract....
Preloaders make the same they did back in the 1980's and no insurance for a year..
What the SUP said while talking really takes the cake...."Fedex system is designed to be full and handle lots of packages".....Oh....and ours is not??
What a joke.

Heard the same crap for almost 26 yrs before retiring. As you near a contract you always hear them whining, That's nice that Ups can afford to give Scott Davis a nice Bonus..And also spend millions in advertising as if people need to know UPS exists after 100 years on the road. :surprised:

Heard the same crap for almost 26 yrs before retiring. As you near a contract you always hear them whining, That's nice that Ups can afford to give Scott Davis a nice Bonus..And also spend millions in advertising as if people need to know UPS exists after 100 years on the road. :surprised:

Well I spent 33yrs hearing the same crap and I don't know how long you have been retired but, I do remember these green trucks running around on my pickup area with the letters REA. They use to laugh at us the way we laugh at Fedex ground. Same 'ol crap, fedex is poking you in the eye and you can't figure out why it hurts!

The Milkman

Well I spent 33yrs hearing the same crap and I don't know how long you have been retired but, I do remember these green trucks running around on my pickup area with the letters REA. They use to laugh at us the way we laugh at Fedex ground. Same 'ol crap, fedex is poking you in the eye and you can't figure out why it hurts!

Hung it up 3 yrs ago this past January..Remember Roadway very well and yes with from what I heard years ago..give them a teaser rate, then when service fails they for the most part returned to UPS..Our population has grown over the last 30 years so volume will creep up for just about everyone with the internet now in the picture. How may employees back in 81 compared to today? how many Ups planes back in 81?? Blue Label back then...So volume goes up and more employees are needed but the question is?? Who will deliver on their promises???

klein

Für Meno :)
Next time a manger tells you they are losing ground, just respond by saying thanks for the stock tip, I'll sell my UPS shares today !

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS is pushing residential customers and contracts away. They want business stops. How many packages have they pushed off onto the Postal Service?

As for the competition, my mother's company went Fed Ex because their prices were "soo good". 2 months into the contract, they were looking for ways to get out of the deal. They wanted to back to brown.