New Years resolutions

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I doubt that ... I think you will do your job as well as you ever did.

I turned 55 in October and I worked as hard and I am as dedicated as I ever was. You want to go out as an example. The last three years has required as much dedication and effort (granted not physical) as I have had in my career at UPS. I would not have wanted it any other way.

You don't know BabaGounj.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS New Years resolutions:

Work steadily (no more plow/clear out and take breaks when works gone)

following the methods (no more slinging bags for convienence, end range motions, twisting EVER)

accept 8 hours a day without threatening grievances against lesser seniority getting OT (who wants to STAY in that dump anyway??) :D

never complaining even jokingly to coworkers, never second guessing supervisors, keep it light and fun without drudging cynicism or negativity:) whenever possible. Make efforts to Bring happiness of outside life into inside UPS, instead of bring misery of company and it's encompassing lifestyle into outside life.

enjoy every day, working or not, as a DAY in the life of the myself, coworkers, the world, the solar system, the galaxy. Think about the big picture and every action from everyone affects everything; one positive action can set off a domino effect of hundreds or thousands of positive thoughts or emotions at work or not!! That trancends a "work day"

My resolution is to stop feeling guilty when I see one of my former co-works dragging a wheeler load of cardboard into a business or see them still on the streets @ 9:00pm, knowing I no longer have to do any of that. I will still feel sorry that they are having to, but NO MORE GUILT.

tranham

Thanks for the encouragment / critques all. I am headed into work in a few minutes to press for an informal TLA about the issues.

On a unrelated side note I've stopped using UPS for shipping. Not because I don't want to, but because they make it too difficult. I sell stuff on ebay all year long. For 15 years I would walk the package in through the guard shack, scan it and get the credit in the diad. Heavy packages I would drive out the parking lot and grab them. LP said a while back no more package cars in the parking lot, ok. 2 months ago no more packages trough the guard shack. So I don't get back to the hub by the time the customer counter opens. My boss says I can leave the boxes with HR every morning. Gave it a try and got the "how the hell is this our job?" So now I hit the post office on the way into work 2X a week in Brown with a handfull of parcels. Stand in line while people wonder what the hell I'm doing there. I don't ship enough to justify a daily pickup and I'm not wasting my weekends running all the way to the UPS store.

Robert

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My resolution is to stop feeling guilty when I see one of my former co-works dragging a wheeler load of cardboard into a business or see them still on the streets @ 9:00pm, knowing I no longer have to do any of that. I will still feel sorry that they are having to, but NO MORE GUILT.
Good for you. Guilt is not healthy anyway. :happy2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thanks for the encouragment / critques all. I am headed into work in a few minutes to press for an informal TLA about the issues.

On a unrelated side note I've stopped using UPS for shipping. Not because I don't want to, but because they make it too difficult. I sell stuff on ebay all year long. For 15 years I would walk the package in through the guard shack, scan it and get the credit in the diad. Heavy packages I would drive out the parking lot and grab them. LP said a while back no more package cars in the parking lot, ok. 2 months ago no more packages trough the guard shack. So I don't get back to the hub by the time the customer counter opens. My boss says I can leave the boxes with HR every morning. Gave it a try and got the "how the hell is this our job?" So now I hit the post office on the way into work 2X a week in Brown with a handfull of parcels. Stand in line while people wonder what the hell I'm doing there. I don't ship enough to justify a daily pickup and I'm not wasting my weekends running all the way to the UPS store.

Robert

When they ask you for a sales lead tell them this story, then tell them to pound salt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Robert, there is a new initiative called Green Pickup being introduced early 2010. It is designed for shippers such as yourself who do not ship enough to justify a daily P/U. You will be able to set up which day(s) of the week you would like a P/U. The weekly charge will be $10. This may be something worth looking in to.

Big Babooba

My New Years Resolution:

I'm going to delete my Brown Cafe profile.
Walk away and never post again!
I have nothing left to say.
I'm outta here!

(I always break my resolutions)

bigbrownhen

Sober and Tooner said it well. Do the job to the best of your ability. Follow the methods. Take your lunch and breaks. You can't let them(management/corp) get to you. I have enjoyed my job, and with less stress in my life this past year with the new attitude. I must say that this site has helped, I have learned so much here. My hubby appreciates the happier less cranky me.. as do I. :happy-very:

As for a resolution, try to be a happy and healthier person. Spend as much quality time as possible with my family, and be a better friend.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Sober and Tooner said it well. Do the job to the best of your ability. Follow the methods. Take your lunch and breaks. You can't let them(management/corp) get to you. I have enjoyed my job, and with less stress in my life this past year with the new attitude. I must say that this site has helped, I have learned so much here. My hubby appreciates the happier less cranky me.. as do I. :happy-very:

As for a resolution, try to be a happy and healthier person. Spend as much quality time as possible with my family, and be a better friend.

Sage advise from a Hen!

UPS Lifer

I don't believe in New Year resolutions. I have always believed that if I needed to change something it should be done at the time you make the commitment. On the other hand I also plan goals that can be adjusted depending on the circumstance.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is commendable to think positively and look at the New Year as a new beginning and a good time to reflect on what is working and what is not working for you and make adjustments based on that reflection. I guess I just don't put as much emphasis on it because "reflection and adjustment" is ongoing for me.

But for all of you who are taking positive steps in your life or UPS life...I will send out positive thoughts for your success and HAPPY NEW YEAR!:cheers:

L

Loufan

What exactly is telematics and why do all the drivers hate it so much?

Oh and New Years Resolution for work: Go all year without a missort.

A

anonymous6

The trick is to embrace the fine art of detachment.

Own what is yours, but dont take on what isnt.

You can and should still give a crap... about the things that you can control.

I continue to give 110% on this job because thats who I am. At the same time, I am continuing to learn to let go of what isnt mine.

I have accepted the reality that Telematics is here and it isnt going away. I have also accepted the fact that my management teams job security depends upon finding things about my job performance to complain about, so if I dont give them anything they will simply make something up. It isnt personal, so there isnt any point in getting angry about it. They chose their path and I chose mine.

The reality of UPS in the Telematics age is that any action you take to get off of one report will simply cause you to appear on another one. The entire system is designed put pressure on people by creating a perpetual loop of expectations that can never be met.

Perfect methods+ 100% compliance= overallowed.

Underallowed= flawed methods+ non compliance.

There is no way around the reality of these two equations.

The beauty of Telematics is that once you embrace this fact you can turn it against them. Give them 100% compliance and 100% obedience to whatever flavor of the week they try to cram down your throat, and watch their system collapse like a house of cards. After all, you are simply working as directed. They made their bed, let them lie in it.

a great great post. i wish i could print it out and tape it to my dashboard.

Integrity

Binge Poster
OK, yes if it sounds like I have an axe to grind I probably do. This was our first Xmas with Tattle-telematics. It was the most stressfull I've ever had in 20 years. This is after changing routes this year to an easier one. Keep in mind I work as hard as I can and don't care about the numbers. Here are some examples of why I am having a change of heart at UPS

Planned -2:20 under and I get yelled at for a several minutes of excessive idle time (wow I saved the company $90 OT but lost them a few pennies of gas!).
Planned - 1:90 under on a 11:52 day and get yelled at for being over 9.5!
Yelled at for missing commit times for pickups when the shipper gives me boxes early and say they won't be around in the afternoon.

Christmas eve was the worse day of the year. First they tell me we have to be back in building by 17:00. But thank goodness we are allowed to skip lunch to do it! BS I skipped my lunch for years until they made me take it. I am not about to skip lunch unless I can skip it every other day of the year. I told them my helper can only stay a couple hours. They say ok, don't worry you don't have to make your 5 pickups! I get hit with air, bulk, miles and stops like never before. Long story short I get called every 15 mins by the sups. I have to have 5 drivers come out to finish the day by 17:00. Most other drivers got 5-6 hours of work. I got 10.5. I had planned to do Christmas mass but end up so stressed I stayed in bed for the next 36 hours with +/- 102 temp.

So on to the resolutions... Here are the facts if you work hard you will never be rewarded for your trouble. Which is fine, however you will also be penalized. My route from 5 years ago started out with 108 to plan. When I left 145 would not plan the same route. I came to my new route this year I could knock it out and be in by 16:30 2-3 days a week. Since Aug I could not get in before 18:00 any day of the week. They moved more and more work/miles to the route. But like I always have I just kept running.

So I am going to begin the year new with the following changings:

#1 No longer going through the load for 15-20 mins off the clock.
#2 No longer breaking the speed limit
#3 No longer running
#4 No backing (20 ft or 2 mile driveway)
#5 No keep packages in the cab from stop to stop.

Yes, this is what I'm supposed to do. Regrettably I have not followed UPS policy in the past. I have done everything above in order to not have late air and to stay under 9.5 and to get home early.
I can only hope that by slowing down my day by following methods will reduce the amount of work they put on me as I've seen happen time and time again to other drivers.

Robert

Dear Robert,

I commend you on you resolve to change!!!

Sincerely,

I

browniehound

Robert wrote:
"So I am going to begin the year new with the following changings:

#1 No longer going through the load for 15-20 mins off the clock.
#2 No longer breaking the speed limit
#3 No longer running
#4 No backing (20 ft or 2 mile driveway)
#5 No keep packages in the cab from stop to stop."

I smell a troll but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because your post is interesting.

Your problem is what you added above (which makes me think you are joking a bit) and how UPS is getting under your skin.

First, the job can be done in a timely manner without performing #'s 1-5 on your list. If you think you're getting screwed just let your sup. ride with you for 3 days. Just prove to him that the route can be done to UPS' standards without practicing "methods 1-5" lol.

Now that I criticized you, I will tell you my bad habits. I do break the speed limit on the highway but obey it "in town". I don't trust other motorists, hence I use my horn consistently to "Make Sure They See You".

I also do keep packages( an an NDA enevope or two ) in the cab and run back to the truck on a VERY limited basis.

However, I NEVER work off the clock. I don't sort. EVER. If I did sort I would do it on the clock. Since PAS/EDD sorting is not a method so I don't do it. I'm still not sure if it hurts or helps?

My opinion is you shouldn't be doing 1-5. Its just not safe. I would rather stop schmoozing with my customers than do #'s 1-5 to meet my SPHORH.