New York Legalizes Same Sex Marriage

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm still saying, when a guy/gal has to give up half their 'stuff' they are gonna be pissed. 50% of marriages end in divorce....I don't care what blend you have.

I can hear the attorneys whooping & hollering from here!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

TOS--you may not have read it in the link but there is no residency requirement with this new legislation, so newly married same sex couples would not have to necessarily live here to be married here. I would think that some, if not many, would, which would certainly help turn our economy around.

Island--your response surprised me. I always thought you to be more tolerant of those with beliefs other than your own.

P

pickup

I'm still saying, when a guy/gal has to give up half their 'stuff' they are gonna be pissed. 50% of marriages end in divorce....I don't care what blend you have.

I can hear the attorneys whooping & hollering from here!!

I think the divorce rate amongst gays is going to be a tad bit higher as some couples with kids, stay together for the sake of the kids.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the divorce rate amongst gays is going to be a tad bit higher as some couples with kids, stay together for the sake of the kids.

We have a driver who went through this with his now ex wife. He said they would have hallway sex---they would walk by each other and say ":censored2: you". This never works as it is actually harder on the kids than getting divorced in the first place.

browndevil

I thought we were talking about marriage, not having kids or adopting them. If it is true equality then anyone should be allowed to marry anyone they choose to for any reason right?
Sure, if it's between consenting adults. More said in her post marriage was for procreation, that is what I was commenting on

browndevil

So if all adults involved are consenting then anyone should be able to marry whoever or however many for any reason they want?
Yes, because in my opinion it is none of my business what other people do. It does not affect my marriage. That is only point I make. Are you speaking of plural marriage? If so, humans have had mistresses and affairs since the beginning of time

tourists24

Just making sure its consistent. I stated from the start that government has no business in this matter. I do feel that this whole gay marriage isnt about equality for homosexuality and more for the politics of "gay rights". If equality were the real cause then marriage should have no limitations. Open it up to anyone for any reason wishing to be married

You just dont get basic economics. Gay persons spend money on marriage preparations just like straight couples. ""I can see an increase in hotel, eateries and local transportation"" This is economic growth.

No :censored2:e Sherlock... However, unless they do move there this is temporary economic increase as opposed to economic growth. Growth would imply a sustained increase. And you say "I" don't understand economics?? LOL

Gay persons live together and buy home furnishings, they just dont run around having sex. They pay bills, they rent housing, they buy houses, they buy groceries.
Gay people are like everyone else in that usually live somewhere and buy all the things you mentioned. Whoever even mentioned sex until you brought it up? As far as I have read, no one has disparaged gay people in anyway here.(granted I haven't read past your asinine post yet.)

People will likely move to New York to take advantage of this law, thereby increasing the money spent in the state.

Some may move there, I doubt a large mass will though. Most people that will want to take advantage of this law probably already have jobs and will return to them once the ceremony is over. They are gay, not stupid.

In any case, this new law is good for business. The religious freaks will come out of the woodworks now and stage protests to deaf ears and as Klein stated, this will be the way it is sooner or later in the U.S. anyways in time.

As I have stated more than once, I don't doubt that there will be a periodic increase in income. For a while there may be many weeks of a rush, but enough to sustain an income is doubtful.
Everyone that has objections to homosexuality are not religious freaks, what an outrageous thing to say. Not everyone that objects to same gender marriages do so because of religious convictions either.

I dont see the problem with this anyways, homosexuality is no longer something to freak out over, its just the way it is for some people just like those in the south who date their sisters.
Oh so now you are comparing homosexuality with incest? That is as homophobic a statement as I have ever heard. Next thing we know you'll be saying a grown man having sex with a 6 year old is OK.

Peace.
disingenuous

Try asking the 20-30 year olds what they think about same sex marriage. They overwhelmingly support marriage equality. Your idea is outdated and the tide is changing.
The sun will rise as it always does
Congrats NY

Lucky for us 20-30 year olds don't run things quite yet, maybe they will get smarter (in general, not this topic per sey) before they take over. :)
You do realize most 20-30 year olds don't consider oral sex to be sex?
I fully support equal rights for gay couples as I do for married couples.

Buddybrown

Hey trp good response in post 56. It's such a shame that you had to waste all of that time defending yourself from a hate and race baiting far left liberal like that. This person consistently twists, spins and goes out of their way to fabricate things in a mean spirited way, yet claims to have more political knowledge then the rest of us and as of yet hasn't shown it...........LMAO! Said individual should end their posts with hate instead of peace.

We are the same Trip, the only difference is the "fitting" of the parts. Everything else is identical. Love is love man, how come you can love your dog, your job, your favorite meal, love your car but you cant love another human being of the same sex?

Its time to get over the whole gay thing, its been around since Jeebus alledgedly walked the earth.

You dont have to worry Trip, there isnt a "Conversion" conspiracy running around that will capture you at some point and turn you around.

We are what we are when it comes to sexual identity. Look at Karl Rove, a staunch republican operative, a man who comes on FOXED SPEWS and preaches about moral values, and himself, a secret homosexual man.

We need to shed the hypocrisies of sexuality in this country.

Peace.

This is a real laugh. I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the first two sentences but your statements after that indicate you have the wrong idea about my position on same sex couples.
The funny thing here is that people have their own opinions formed by various criteria on this issue and they are entitled to their opinions, whether you or I agree with them or not. Sorry but telling anyone that their opinion is outdated and it's time to get over it is not only rude but quite arrogant.

Tell me oh great sage, just when was the first homosexual couple? Ahhh never mind, it's actually irrelevant.

What? Me worry? Never worried about "conversion attempts, luckily never had any doubt as to my personal sexuality. But that is irrelevant as well.

I tend to agree that we are what we are in sexual identity, well except for those that actually choose to go back and forth. Again, that's a whole 'nuther topic. I have no knowledge of Rove's personal life. I doubt you do either.

There is a long list of hypocrisies that need to be shed, sexuality is just one of them.