New York man sues UPS for blocking bicycle lanes

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
New York man sues UPS for blocking bicycle lanes - CNBC

One New York City bicyclist says he's tired of United Parcel Service trucks getting in his way, and he hopes the courts will make the parcel giant change its ways.

New York City resident Alex Bell has reportedly filed two new lawsuits against UPS that accuse Big Brown's trucks of repeatedly blocking Manhattan bike lanes by double-parking in them during deliveries.

Packmule

I hate bicycles. A menace on the sidewalk and roadkill in the streets. Find some backwoods trail or park the thing and walk!

10 point

I hate bicycles. A menace on the sidewalk and roadkill in the streets. Find some backwoods trail or park the thing and walk!
We probably delivered his bike.

Ever drive thru Manhattan?
I'd never ride a bicycle thru that metro cluster.
Screw that.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
As an urban bicycle rider, I've never had to deal with something like that before. Occasionally I have to leave the bike lane to get around garbage cans sitting in the bike lane. It's no big deal really. I just look behind me to see if a car is coming or not and then enter the car lane temporarily to go around the obstacle. But then again, I'm not in Manhattan either.

As I see it, this bicyclist has no leg to stand on really. The law allows for UPS trucks to do this for their deliveries. With nowhere else to park, what can they do? The bicyclist has three options, to either merge in with the traffic temporarily to ride around the truck, to get off of his bicycle and walk the bicycle on the sidewalk for a short distance, or just wait for the truck to leave.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
As an urban bicycle rider, I've never had to deal with something like that before. Occasionally I have to leave the bike lane to get around garbage cans sitting in the bike lane. It's no big deal really. I just look behind me to see if a car is coming or not and then enter the car lane temporarily to go around the obstacle. But then again, I'm not in Manhattan either.

As I see it, this bicyclist has no leg to stand on really. The law allows for UPS trucks to do this for their deliveries. With nowhere else to park, what can they do? The bicyclist has three options, to either merge in with the traffic temporarily to ride around the truck, to get off of his bicycle and walk the bicycle on the sidewalk for a short distance, or just wait for the truck to leave.
There's the 4th option...go :censored3: himself and leave UPS alone.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
That's because these Midwest hipster homos think they're in Clarksville and get offended if you're in their precious bike lane, meanwhile they're on the sidewalk half the time anyway, a real New Yorker would never complain and will just keep it movin...

Packmule

I call them shape shifters. If the light is green, they're motor vehicles in the streets. If it's red, they're pedestrians in the crosswalk. Either way it's always someone else's fault if they get hit.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Around here the biggest problem seems to be bicyclists that ride in the bike lanes going the wrong way. I would say that it is only about a quarter to a third of the bicyclists that do this. Over in Phoenix itself, some bicyclists will cut across traffic without a care. Because Phoenix has very few major streets with bike lanes, riding on the sidewalk is the only practical thing to do. The police also encourage it as the right lane is not wide enough to accommodate both vehicle traffic and bicycles. Most of the bike lanes and routes are found on the submajor streets. However, I have noticed that Phoenix has now put in signs along Central where the Light Rail runs that allows bicyclists to use the entire right lane. Mesa has done the same thing along Main now that the new light Rail Extension has been built.