Newbie as a pre-loader.

I recently was hired on as a pre-loader.

I have no hassles except for one thing.

They use a roller to go inside the long semi truck. It's about 12 feet long.

Thing is, I can lift any box in the truck, but this roller is heavy, and awkward, since it's 12 feet long.

As much as I try, I cannot lift this by myself, and I'm not a weak person.

Should someone actually be helping me with it? My super said it might be a problem if I can't lift it by myself.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I never had a problem lifting them but I'm not a small man. The aluminum ones are pretty light. If you new help just ask though it should not be a problem that u can't lift. They are certainly over 70. Just hang in there

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Aluminum rollers? We don't have any anymore. They all bent like plastic. We only use rollers in our retain anymore anyway. All our unload doors have extendo belts now.

gostillerz

I'd never set those rollers up myself. Those things are awkward as hell to move. One other thing. I know you're new, but don't go overboard on picking up heavy packages yourself. We have a guy here who is a huge weight lifter type. He tries to show off how strong he is, but he's been off work for months at a time for a separated shoulder, pulled back, etc. Absolutely DO NOT pick up anything that you honestly can't lift yourself without help.

Your sup is an ass. Ask it what the 8th key of lifting/lowering is. If it gives you more flak, go to a union steward (you're not union, but he'll still help) or the center manager. Injuries are much, much worse than stopping the belt for 2 minutes to switch rollers.

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
I've never heard of a 12ft roller, all we have in out center are 6ft ones which are a pain in the ass when you're unloading a 53ft trailer as we mainly only have the 28ft trailers.

If you need help to lift something weather it's awkward, oversize or over 70lbs you're able to ask for help and as others have said, if the supervisor gives you hell for asking for help just go to your union steward.

H

htown0721

The first statement in the UPS management statement goes as follows: "I am personally responsible for creating an environment that is safe by choice not by chance". You sup is not doing you or anyone else favors, it is not a problem that you cannot lift them as it is not safe to do so.