Newbie Question.

I just have a question. I was hired as a part time seasonal driver in Nov. I passed the Intergrad online test as well as the rest of the training courses and began working. Everything was going great I really enjoy working for UPS. Heres my problem 2 days after I started driving my father had congestive heart failure and I needed to be with him.... sooooo having just been hired I was embarresed to ask 4 time off so I told my supervisor my situation and informed them I would not be returning. So my question is this do I have any chance of being called back. He seemed upset that I wouldnt be returning which I completely understand. ..But my family always comes first

Thank You!

brown&out

From what I've seen, the seasonal hires are just temp positions, mainly for peak, and to a lesser extent the heavy vacation season (summertime). Not every seasonal driver will get called back, only a few select ones, and even then it would probably be months later, if at all. A few very fortunate ones will end up getting a permanent position within a year or two. That's just my observation. It seems like HR strings seasonal's along with that carrot, much in the same way driver helpers think they will have 4 or 5 weeks work, getting 6 to 8 hours a day. It could happen that way, but it probably won't. I am only able to get 3-4 hours with a helper. I have even been told to use a helper for like 2 hours (by a supervisor). I put up a big fight when they say that. Why would someone even leave the house to drive their car out to my area (even when it's close to where they live) to get 2 hours of work???? It wastes my time to drive to the meet point, it barely is worth the helper's time. It sounds like you pretty much had to miss this season due to your family emergency. I hope they consider you again in the next seasonal hiring. You did the right thing, family should come first. In the meantime, though, don't count on getting on as a driver. I hope it happens for you, but the next seasonal period is almost 6 months away. Have more than one iron in the fire. I'm just sayin'.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.It is definately unfortunate due to the fact I quit another job so I could go out of town for the training and then had to quit as soon as I got the job. I really do hope they call me back someday. I really did love that job. I tried applying for another location about 3 weeks after I quit and it said I was already employed for ups.I really wish this wouldnt of happened. Thanks again!