Newbie Question

redrocker7

My husband hopes to soon become a package car driver. Can someone tell me, what kind of quota is required as far as how many packages a driver has to deliver per day or per hour or whatever? He's heard that speed is all-important, but exactly how do they judge if he's going fast enough? Since no two routes are the same, how do they determine whether a driver is too slow or meets the grade?

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
Every route is different as you mention,
Thus, every route has different "standards"

We have some routes that run:
Route A: 20 SPORH(Stops per on road Hour)
Route B: 13 SPORH
Route A: Averages 160 Stops a day
Route B: Averages 110 Stops a day
Route A: Only goes 40 Miles in a day
Route B: does over 100 miles in a day

There are some that are even more drastic:
8 SPORH, 60 Stops, 300+ miles

So whatever route he gets(most likely a more like ROUTE A)
his Supervisor will give him "goals" of what he has to accomplish.
granted, the supervisor might push him to go faster than others have.
But after he qualifies, he'll be able to relax, but until then...work to win
the job.

Generally when qualifying(first 30 working days)
-No accidents
-No missed deliveries or Pickups(within reason, everyone makes mistakes,
generally UPS doesn't want to see you make the same mistake twice)
-And getting done in good time(see above)

xracer

You are right in assuming that each route has a different quota as to packages per hour and stops per hour, all of these things are figured in to a formula that management uses to determine as to whether you are doing a good job or not, they have a printout every day which is called the operation report which shows whether you were over or under standards as they call it. Management definately prefers that you be under standards which is to say that they give you what they consider 10 hours of work and you come in after say 9.5 hours that would make you .5 under which will be shown on this daily report. These numbers have greatly changed in the last couple of years and not to the advantage of the driver so most seniority drivers ignore these numbers as we know that they are a joke. The advice that I would have to give your husband is that safety should be his number one concern because if he gets hurt or in an accident during his probationary period that will greatly diminish his chances of being but on in a full time position.

Hangingon

I'd strongly suggest that your husband talk to his coworkers, especially the cover drivers who know that particular training route, and the regular drivers on the routes close to him (his loop). Most of us are more then willing to help out a rookie since we all remember those first few weeks, and even more so if he seems to actually want our help.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The production mentioned is nice, and while important to management, not really what needs to be focused on.

The first is safety. While there is some leeway the management team has now for accidents, in most areas you are still fired if your package car comes into any contact what so ever within the first 30 working days.
Avoid putting yourself into a risky behaviour like backing first.

The next thing you need to focus on is the delivery methods. Learn them. Believe in them. They will help you in so many different ways. They will also aid you in making the "grade", and if you dont meet the numbers, using methods well does not give them the excuse to find fault with you.

Then focus on customer satisfaction.

Dont get frustrated, ask questions of management, experienced drivers, and on this board. We all want new driver applicants to make the grade. And it is easier now then ever.

And enjoy the trip.

d

DS

Fenderbender
Redrocker,theres a couple of things my friends here forgot to mention.
Until the they decide you are doing a good enough job,NEVER be late
or call in sick.Stay well groomed by shaving every day,and remember to
shine your shoes , and keep your uniform clean.
To Dannyboy... I quote,"Avoid putting yourself into a risky behavior like backing first" is not only bad english,its just plain wrong.
You should always back first .In case someone parks directly behind you or a child wanders behind your vehicle .The back up monitor takes a sec
to come on after you start the car,and its a good idea to wait and look,or circle the truck if the situation has made backing first impossible.
Unless you are talking about backing in to every stop to deliver a letter,
or small packages.

beatupbrown

If you follow the methods you will not scratch so you will need to drive fast run and hope the drs work out.Good luck run and gun try not to get hurt skip lunch ,try to show up early go over your load off the clock.:ohmy:

happyboy

Im a slow driver, I'd tell him st to work as fast and as safe as he can, Skip ur lunch for the first 30-45 days. Try to do 13 to 15 stps an hour and talk to the drivers in his loop

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
To Dannyboy... I quote,"Avoid putting yourself into a risky behavior like backing first" is not only bad english,its just plain wrong.

Not only bad english, but exactly opposite of what I was trying to say. Thankyou for catching it for me.

You also did a very good job of explaining what I meant. For that I owe you one. Too many drivers back without thinking as to why they are backing. When asked why they backed, they really had no good reason for doing it, they just do it out of habit.

The habits you develop right now will decide what habits you will have in the future. Good or bad.

Hey rookie, you will be OK. IF all those other drivers that are now working for UPS could make it, so can you.

d

xracer

DS, I believe that you misinterpreted what Danny was saying by backing first I think that he meant avoid getting into you vehicle and immediately backing, which would be a major no-no.
Beatupbrown, that is some of the worst advice I have ever heard given on this board, you should never tell someone to speed and run as this will only put this person in danger of injuring themselves or possibly others. On the point of skipping your lunch and coming in early to sort your load, even though I strongly disagree with these practices it may be a good idea for someone to do this until they have qualified.
Imported_slowdriver, telling him to try to do 13-15 stops per hour makes no sense unless that is what is required for that run, each run is different. I deliver a very rural run and 8-10 stops per hour is the norm while there are city runs in our building that will do upwards of 20 stops per hour.
Just do the job to the best of your ability and most importantly be safe, they can forgive you for being a little slow but not for running over a kid playing in the street.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
X

While you, a highly trained UPS driver, and I knew what I meant, what was posted, esp to a new rookie, was totally wrong. And I applaud him for catching the miscommunication.

Backing should only be done when needed, and it is much less needed than many drivers think. And when you do need to back, do so while you are arriving at the stop, not after you made the stop and are leaving. Back while you are fresh with the surroundings and you have the drivers perspective. Once you leave your vehicle, you no longer have the knowledge of what is around you or your vehicle. you might think you do, but you really dont.

Rules for backing. Avoid when ever you can. IF you must back, back first, in other words to where your car is ready to move forward when you start out again.

Always use your horn when backing, check mirrors, and rear view cam, but use mirrors for backing, using the cam only to check what might be right behind you.

d

old levi's

blank space
At the start of the day don't let the task ahead overwhelm you. Those stops come off one at a time. Always know your next stop. In time you will know at least your next 5 stops. When people say skip your lunch what they really mean is don't take it during prime time when businesses are still open. Do take your break before you return to the center or the company will steal 1 hour of time that you actually worked. Be safe , work smoothly, and don't get stressed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The lunch hour is one of those things that I was talking about also when learning bad habits. It is one thing to give it voluntarily, but something else for the company to hold it over your head.

If you take no lunch, you are actually working an hour more than the stats allow. All of a sudden you decide to take your hour. What do you think your on road numbers will do? Now the company is wondering if you were fudging what you were doing during your 30 day break in.

And realistically, your only explanation in front of a hearing panel is that you falsified your delivery time card by not taking your lunch when your time card states you did. And that is dishonesty anyway you cut it.

Do it right the first time, do it safe, and learn to enjoy the job. If done right, it can bring you much satisfaction. Dont let anyone take that away from you.

d

opie

I don't think they would fire someone for having an accident the the first 30 working days. If you are part-timer who has waited years to go FT. I doubt they would just fire you. That would be a shame. Maybe if you are an off the street hire, you probably get fired. The worst that could happen I feel is that you go back P/T, and maybe get another chance in the future.

dannyboy said:
The production mentioned is nice, and while important to management, not really what needs to be focused on.

The first is safety. While there is some leeway the management team has now for accidents, in most areas you are still fired if your package car comes into any contact what so ever within the first 30 working days.
Avoid putting yourself into a risky behaviour like backing first....

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
If you get in an accident during qualification
your driving is over, you can try to qualify again
in 12 months. as for off the street hires... Yeah I dunno.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If you are inside, it is back to inside for the next 12 months. And in some cases we have had here, as a practical matter, it is really more like 24 months as far as how it affects the bidding process and routes that become available.

As for outside hires, it is back on the street. No ifs and buts or hearings.

So as I posted, the worst thing you could do is have an accident within your training period. Nothing else will get you off the road faster, unless you are dishonest in your dealings and actions.

d
d

wily_old_vet

One thing I used to advise new drivers to do is to go out to the route on the weekend and familiarize yourself with it, especially if it is a majority residential route.