Newbie seeks guidance

upschuck

I missed the sign up sheet bc I mistakenly thought 100 names of people with more seniority would get priority. Not so.... This guy has maybe 1.5 months sorting and he's off to driving school
There was 100 people on bid list and someone with a month and a half got the bid. Not a chance, or there should be 100 grievances filed. Bids goes to highest seniority bidder. Doesn't matter who you are or what you know.

Pooter

Do I need driving school/training to do Saturday airs?

Have a clean driving record and be able to pass a driving test with a Manual, usually no power steering package car. But vehicle may differ based on center and luck :)

Ups may send you to driving school and train after you met the prerequisite

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
That's great, I can do manual and have a clean record.
Not a chance, or there should be 100 grievances filed. Bids goes to highest seniority bidder. Doesn't matter who you are or what you know.
Upschuck, I skit you not, the list must have had 70-100 names scratched all over it and for one reason or another they were disqualified or didn't want it. I couldn't believe it either, but the guy who's headed to school started a week after the xmas chaos. Our center has still been cranking hard since xmas with the snow we've had. No one will tell me package counts for the day, so I have no idea or comparison. Is 70K/day a lot? Xmas we were pushing that and I'd guess we've been somewhere in the 40-50+K/day since.

upschuck

That's great, I can do manual and have a clean record.

Upschuck, I skit you not, the list must have had 70-100 names scratched all over it and for one reason or another they were disqualified or didn't want it. I couldn't believe it either, but the guy who's headed to school started a week after the xmas chaos. Our center has still been cranking hard since xmas with the snow we've had. No one will tell me package counts for the day, so I have no idea or comparison. Is 70K/day a lot? Xmas we were pushing that and I'd guess we've been somewhere in the 40-50+K/day since.
That is crazy. That's is why people here say sign every bid that you want. I've seen a couple of people take their names off, some just to mess with the younger guys, because some won't sign if they are not going to get the position, but that is insane.

HeyNowBrownCow

I even texted him to verify my claims. He said there's a few drivers he's spoken to who only had a few months in and are now driving. I guess I should have signed up anyway but the start dates they put down were like 5-6 yrs ago.... I figured no way!
Guess who's signing up on the summer list....... (rhetorical question) ;-)

UPSGUY72

Hi Brothers & Sisters in brown-
I'm new here and with UPS only a few months working PT AM pre-load, hoping to get some guidance on what's a good route to move up in pay and still have a life. (I know, my life ended when I signed it away in brown ink;-)
I've been approached to become a PT supe.... but thankfully found BC and decided NO Way! Thanks to Cheryl and all the posters here for saving my arse & soul.
I'm not convinced becoming a PC driver is for me, I have a toddler at home but I AM wondering about Feeder driving and what the advantages/disadvantages are??
Do I tell my center manager I want to sign up? How does it work? I don't have a CDL but have always wanted to drive big rigs.
If anyone has some suggestions, esp. feeder drivers, please chime in.

Hello, Sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't a good route to take and still have a life. But I guess that depends on what you determine a life is. If you want to work 9 to 5 M-friend that isn't going to happen at UPS. If you want to make good money and have the weekends off that will happen.

As far as moving up. In most building it goes PT, Cover driver/ FT, Feeder driver. Of course there are 22.3 jobs that pay less. Some work on the inside, some are combo jobs inside and driving and some are Air drivers job that could be M-friend or T-S. There are PT cover driver is some areas that work PT and fill in as Driver when needed, in some areas there are FT cover drivers that are basically FT driver that just don't have there own route they cover and are guaranteed 8 hr a day just like a FT driver. As for becoming a feeder driver it depends on the area your in to how it works in my area it goes by seniority and if you got under 20-25 years in your not getting a chance. In other it might be less. Also depending on the area your in depends on whether or not UPS would send you to school or not....

As with every UNION job at UPS when a position opens they will post a bid sheet for that position sign ever bid that you would like no matter what anyone tells you. The only things that are going to DQ your from winning a driver bid is a moving violation in the last year before bid was post, more than two in the three years before bid post and a DUI/ DWI or Driving to endanger within the last 5 years. So if you want to be a driver at UPS remember your not a race car driver and don't drink and drive....

By the way Feeder job might be less physical labor however a lot of those driver work more Hours and package car drivers....

Good Luck....

Xexys

Retired and Happy
70k a day? Meadowlands pushes half a million packages in a day around x-mas. Maximum packages for the belt system is 60K an hour. Do the math, it's a long day on unload each day. On a normal day, this building will push out 350K a day and that is a light day. This I know for a fact as there is a program that is accessible to the clerks and I used to check it everyday.

PT Car Washer

All good advice. I might add that most feeder jobs are night runs. That means trying to sleep during the day m-friend or t-s and then what do you do on the weekends with your family. You can make really good money working for UPS, but you will earn every dollar.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
images59O8K5PV.jpg

HeyNowBrownCow

Maximum packages for the belt system is 60K an hour.
As mentioned.... I never get a real answer what the daily load is.... but if Meadowlands is pushing that much an hour, I'd swear we must be in that range for the whole Lehigh Valley. That belt didn't stop and during the xmas chaos, we were stacking the building with rental trucks full and the package cars were full with no room at all to walk or move. Anyone from the LV care to chime in?? If you're telling me the belt can handle 60K and hour..... we were def over that for sure. That thing was moving!
Thanks upsguy72, that's the knowledge I was seeking!
PT Carwasher.... sleep is for the weak ;-) or ones who don't have kids.
Jumpman23- awesome avatar and Right you are my friend! Patience is a virtue, so is chastity, neither do I have. (how did I start speaing like Yoda?)
What'dya- I'm not asking for the world, just Kamchatka... everyone knows you win at Risk by taking Kamchatka. (also don't want to be stuck at small sort for 10 years before I start getting a clue)
Harry- I'm lol'ing at the responses ranging from I'm nuts to try this. It's all opinions and I'm hoping to hear as many as possible.
Call e crazy but if I had not found this site, I'd probably be a super by Friday and hating my life.
Thank you all for your honest opinions and suggestions!

HeyNowBrownCow

Not all PTers. want FT hours. Some PTers make FT pay. And I don't mean Art 22.3 pay either.
That's why I'm asking. PT... do tell, what does art 22.3 pay mean?
And.... how does one make FT pay working PT hours?
This is the deep knowledge I seek from ones wiser than myself.

If you (anyone reading this) could do it all over from month 3 forward.... where would you go/do?

That probably should have been my question at first.... but so far the response has been awesome, so thank you all for your candor!

HeyNowBrownCow

I just had a realization.... thanks to your responses. The belt I was on in Dec. moved 65K packages/6-7 misloads/night.... that was my/our belt not the building.

PT Car Washer

If you (anyone reading this) could do it all over from month 3 forward.... where would you go/do?

That probably should have been my question at first.... but so far the response has been awesome, so thank you all for your candor!
Different FT pay classifications have different pay rates. How does a PTer make more then a FT? Been here 36 years is the short answer. Try to get into a driving job. Either Saturday or cover or anything driving. They will work you like a borrowed mule, but you will be of more value to your management team. Or you will realize this job is not for you.

HeyNowBrownCow

I'm already worked like a borrowed mule.... "I need <him>" (to clean up my mess) has been the supes modus of operandi from day 3 of my employment. New supe in my dept and I'm taken to other depts as soon as there's a problem to sort out.
36 years, that's no short answer, that's some serious dedication and hard work! You're either a genius or insane... or both! (meant with deep respect and admiration... and a lil' friendly ribbing).
I truly appreciate the suggestions and so glad I found the BC..... I'll be a regular on here.
It's Saturday night, so (hopefully) I'll be signing off for the evening and I hope you all do as well. Working as hard and as much as we do.... we all should be checking out soon.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wouldn't change a thing and by no means has it been easy.

Went driving within 2 because I just couldn't pass up the money at 22. Knew I was locking myself into a location even though my future plans were to live somewhere else.

Had to live 2 hours away from the wife for 3 years while she got a masters. Now she got a job 4 hours away and we r living apart again.

Still wouldn't change anything we have more than most of our friends and I've been the only one working. Basically u make a choice with this place. Give your kids more time with you or make money to give them better opportunity in life.