Newbie seeks guidance

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
Ouch..... that's some heavy brown to throw down my brother! (that's a scatological reference regarding you living away from your wife for so long).
I think I'm gonna stay PT nights and do my side work, with time for my baby and family. I won't trade $ for family, ever. I'd rather live in a yurt and cook on a fire than be a slave to a job. That's just me.
I so understand (and dig) your username (avatar) and tagline. I suspect you have steel toed boots.... after you gave that toe over to the man. ;-)

The Milkman

Hello, Sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't a good route to take and still have a life. But I guess that depends on what you determine a life is. If you want to work 9 to 5 M-friend that isn't going to happen at UPS. If you want to make good money and have the weekends off that will happen.

As far as moving up. In most building it goes PT, Cover driver/ FT, Feeder driver. Of course there are 22.3 jobs that pay less. Some work on the inside, some are combo jobs inside and driving and some are Air drivers job that could be M-friend or T-S. There are PT cover driver is some areas that work PT and fill in as Driver when needed, in some areas there are FT cover drivers that are basically FT driver that just don't have there own route they cover and are guaranteed 8 hr a day just like a FT driver. As for becoming a feeder driver it depends on the area your in to how it works in my area it goes by seniority and if you got under 20-25 years in your not getting a chance. In other it might be less. Also depending on the area your in depends on whether or not UPS would send you to school or not....

As with every UNION job at UPS when a position opens they will post a bid sheet for that position sign ever bid that you would like no matter what anyone tells you. The only things that are going to DQ your from winning a driver bid is a moving violation in the last year before bid was post, more than two in the three years before bid post and a DUI/ DWI or Driving to endanger within the last 5 years. So if you want to be a driver at UPS remember your not a race car driver and don't drink and drive....

By the way Feeder job might be less physical labor however a lot of those driver work more Hours and package car drivers....

Good Luck....

The Milkman

Hello, Sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't a good route to take and still have a life. But I guess that depends on what you determine a life is. If you want to work 9 to 5 M-friend that isn't going to happen at UPS. If you want to make good money and have the weekends off that will happen.

As far as moving up. In most building it goes PT, Cover driver/ FT, Feeder driver. Of course there are 22.3 jobs that pay less. Some work on the inside, some are combo jobs inside and driving and some are Air drivers job that could be M-friend or T-S. There are PT cover driver is some areas that work PT and fill in as Driver when needed, in some areas there are FT cover drivers that are basically FT driver that just don't have there own route they cover and are guaranteed 8 hr a day just like a FT driver. As for becoming a feeder driver it depends on the area your in to how it works in my area it goes by seniority and if you got under 20-25 years in your not getting a chance. In other it might be less. Also depending on the area your in depends on whether or not UPS would send you to school or not....

As with every UNION job at UPS when a position opens they will post a bid sheet for that position sign ever bid that you would like no matter what anyone tells you. The only things that are going to DQ your from winning a driver bid is a moving violation in the last year before bid was post, more than two in the three years before bid post and a DUI/ DWI or Driving to endanger within the last 5 years. So if you want to be a driver at UPS remember your not a race car driver and don't drink and drive....

By the way Feeder job might be less physical labor however a lot of those driver work more Hours and package car drivers....

Good Luck....

You are 100% right !!!

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I don't know Milkman, I think some of our co-workers would argue that you and I had probably two of the best routes in the center. Cake routes I would call them for sure.

The Milkman

I don't know Milkman, I think some of our co-workers would argue that you and I had probably two of the best routes in the center. Cake routes I would call them for sure.

I agree, Between us and DD we could cover the ctr. Gravy routes.....The recipe we created and by now watered down...

Bonita

Anyone knows about how long is the bid to get a feeder position? I know it might be varies a bit depend on what region... Thanks !