newbie to UPS

Nikki

Well I went through my training and such.... friday was my first day on the floor loading.... I only did half the work i expect ill be doing tomarrow, if that....

My question is this... mainly to the females out there...(were built a bit diff than you guys, lol) how long did it take you to get used to the work.... I was fine starting out, did good from what my trainer says.... towards the end, even the 20 pound boxes felt like they were 60.... lol....

When I got home I was a bit worn and could still feel my muscles moving, lol even though i was laying down.....

I was a little sore the next day but it wasnt enough to hinder any part of my day (and I had gymnastics with my 2 year old about 7 hours after I got off work....)

Anyways, Im wanting to also know if theres anything yall can tell me as to tips for getting the work done better as well as getting used to the work...lol

Brown_Eyed_Girl

It probably took about 10 days for my body to adjust when starting out on the slide, but I'm in my late 30's. If you're younger, probably will take less time.

Just a suggestion, find a protein bar or shake to have during break for muscle recovery, drink alot of water and stretch. Good luck and welcome to the board.

lmeiler9831

aka The Gazelle
When I started I was already in pretty good shape, but being a girl all of my upper body muscles ached for a bit. I've been there 3 years and can lift 70 lbs no problem. It gets a lot easier loading once you know your trucks. We pull our packages out of cages, I just try to get them down as fast as I can to make the end of my day easier. I try to load all the heaviest stuff first, I don't stack and I work fast. Being one of the few females in my building I felt that I had something to prove.

Brown_Eyed_Girl

When I started I was already in pretty good shape, but being a girl all of my upper body muscles ached for a bit. I've been there 3 years and can lift 70 lbs no problem. It gets a lot easier loading once you know your trucks. We pull our packages out of cages, I just try to get them down as fast as I can to make the end of my day easier. I try to load all the heaviest stuff first, I don't stack and I work fast. Being one of the few females in my building I felt that I had something to prove.

Agree with that statement completely. Being the only woman unloader, feel I need to work as fast as I can to prove myself as well.

And yes after time it does get easier with the heavier packages. Personal best (shocked myself) was 140lb spool of wire.

teresarice

I started 5 almost 5 years ago as unloader/air driver. Now I am pkg car driver still unload lots I think it takes a good year to really get it down there are so many weird little things that you dont realize now that will help later . First big thing was eating a good breakfast filled with protien. Next know your boxes.. this is huge and comes with experience. I once got floored by one of those flat furniture boxes that is over 100 lbs .that one left a mark. Silly things like the quill boxes have stickers in the wrong place ??? dont know why but now I dont have to look for that just know the box. And boy can I throw a paper box. Just think of lifting weights when you do these one after the other ...But see my way of thinking each box has personality and before I even touch it I know how to grab and lift it..This comes in time. Yes yes yes about proving yourself. I once was told to hurry now Im told to slow down. We have rollers instead of belt. And dont make me mad before unload because they will all be on your feet.No slowing down. Anyway its a great workout.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
This may sound odd, but it sure works for me.
Get up atleast a hr hour earlier, and take a nice warm/hot bath before work.
Seems to losen up the muscles.

If I got up a little later and missed my bath... I sure noticed it.

Give it atleast a try. It really worked for me.

Nikki

lol well im actually addicted to hot baths, lol or so my husband says.... and I take 2 to 3 almost every day, I hadnt thought about taking one before work though.... I take one after work for sure though, lol Thanks for the advice...

Nikki

I agree with the water, lol I bring my bottle in and refill it when brakes hits, I also take a powerbar energy with me, I may try one of the protein bars tonight. I like it because its something that I can shove in my pocket and eat withen 10 minutes, lol.

Im not in horrible shape, but the only exercise i got on a regular basis, is lifting my kids and chasing my dogs, lol.

between my upper body and lower body.... my lower body was fine really my upper is what hurt so much....

NY11725

Well I went through my training and such.... friday was my first day on the floor loading.... I only did half the work i expect ill be doing tomarrow, if that....

My question is this... mainly to the females out there...(were built a bit diff than you guys, lol) how long did it take you to get used to the work.... I was fine starting out, did good from what my trainer says.... towards the end, even the 20 pound boxes felt like they were 60.... lol....

When I got home I was a bit worn and could still feel my muscles moving, lol even though i was laying down.....

I was a little sore the next day but it wasnt enough to hinder any part of my day (and I had gymnastics with my 2 year old about 7 hours after I got off work....)

Anyways, Im wanting to also know if theres anything yall can tell me as to tips for getting the work done better as well as getting used to the work...lol

Hey Nikki

I have been a loader for a year and a half...I just got currently moved to pick off on my belt...those are the ppl up top sorting down the chutes...anyway...yes you will be sore....the first week I had muscles I never knew I had, but boy did I feel them...you will get use to it though. Just takes time. As far as the 20 pound boxes feeling like 60...you will get use to it... I use to suck and I always got backed up...and the supe always had to come help me..but then i got really fast...you said your a female? Thats crazy they are having you load...they usually put the females on small sort...not because ur a female, just because it easier, if I was a manager, I dont think I would make a female load...but thats just me....

are for as tips

1) Those bags that come down, check them, scan them, put them lined up on the side of the trailer...wait until you wall is almost to the top, then take the bags and throw them up top, never build a wall on top of a bag...doesnt always work, and you dont want a wall falling and hitting you :(, ive had that happen before.

2) try to stay clean...and what i mean by this is...as boxes come down the rollers, stuff is going to fall off, and create a mess around in the trailer...sometimes so much stuff falls, it goes under the rollers blocking the wheels...so when its time to push up, you cant because of this mess...if your coming slow..just quickly..just pick up the stuff from the floor and throw them on the rollers, then go back and load what you picked up...staying clean will make it alot easier in the long run trust me. Might want to get these 2 tips down good before peak season

3) Always look out for jams..not sure how ur building is set up..but boxes jam all the time when coming down the chutes...and if this happens and you dont notice it...you will get backed up to pick off and then when you finally know of it and break it...you have a ton of boxes to load at one time..which is a pain...so keeping an eye on the jams...will also make it easier for you

4)stay hydrated...drink water....seriously

5) your supe is going to eventually tell you to type in 5 boxes a day...not sure how yuor scanners work or if they are the same...but if you see two boxes that look alike..chances are there from the same account, and the trcking number is almost the same

Box 1 1Z364585034798 EXAMPLE

BOX 2 1Z364585039874 example

Nice how the boxes have the same characters until after 03.. the trick to typing these in alot faster is...once you type the first one...on ur scanner put it in C mode...which u will learn how to do and hit F4...this will paste the 1Z364585 automatically so all you would need to type in is 9874 or something like that...sounds werid but makes it alot easier

well thats all the information I have for you right now...good luck with UPS and if u need help just post :)

Keep trying, and you'll be fine. I was never physically strong myself, but after a few weeks I was keeping up...the aches started to go away...eight years in, I got pregnant with my daughter, and with constant communication w/my doc, I was able to work the preload until a month before I delivered...probably only possible because I had done the job for so long.
Use any kind of leverage you can to keep the weight off your arms and shoulders...balance the packages on the belt, on the wall you're building, even your upper body. Try to get as much rest as you can...not easy with crazy hours and a two-year old, I know, but try. Always do your fair share, but don't be afraid to get help with overweights, and make sure you're offering to do the same for others. Good luck, and welcome to UPS.

NY11725

May I also add... bend ur knees...especially when lifting 50+ pound boxes...ur legs are 50x stronger than your arms, back, and shoulders

Nikki

okay so ive worked three days this week, found out that my sup wants to retrain me, (aparently bad trainer....thats what my sup said as well as a higher sup (safety sup?) that ive been friends with for a few years...

A couple of questions.... any tips to keep from bruising your fingers from the stupid scanner?

Also, I twisted my wrist, somehow, dont know if it was at work or what, but i noticed earlier today before work, I went to work and I could work fine up until I have to put things above my head. im not sure if i made it worse though and tomarrows my last day with my trainer, so what should I do? ask for help with top things?

I know friday is my trucks busiest day, last time i was working nonstop...
I am just worried that I may mess my wrist up even more. my grandfather (doctor) says i need to rest it for a day and it should be fine, but I really dont want to call in during my second week......So should I try to work thursday and take a chance or take thursday to rest my wrist and be able to work friday....

whiskey

I was instrumental in getting a friend of mine, female, a job at UPS in the unload. She had a very positive attitude. It was hot however and she vomited before break. She made it through the part time shift, but never returned. And never forgave me. The hot bath reminded of how hot the trucks can get.

lmeiler9831

aka The Gazelle
I know friday is my trucks busiest day, last time i was working nonstop...
I am just worried that I may mess my wrist up even more. my grandfather (doctor) says i need to rest it for a day and it should be fine, but I really dont want to call in during my second week......So should I try to work thursday and take a chance or take thursday to rest my wrist and be able to work friday....

Thats a tough call- If you ever get hurt at work you need to speak up asap. But calling in so soon is not an option. If I were you I would go in and be honest with my sup and tell them that when you left yesterday you felt fine but later your wrist started to bother you. You should not try to work if its hurting you that bad... You only get one body... UPS doesn't care.