Newbies please read

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a saturday Air driver are you allowed to deliver next day air or early A.M.s that are for monday on Sat. At one time I thought it was not allowed, I didnt think we were allowed to upgrade packages. I personally see this as theft because were delivering certain next day airs on sat but the people didnt pay for sat. My supervisor says were allowed, but ive learned to rarely trust what they say.

On the rare occassions that I am asked to deliver Sat. NDA I am reminded that we are not allowed to deliver anything other than Sat NDA. It seems kind of stupid to deliver a stop that has both and only be able to del Sat NDA so I deliver the Monday NDA as well, as long as I have the time to do it without having any service failures.

For example, Pearle Vision is closed on Mondays. I was del Sat NDA and noticed they had 2 Monday NDA and, as I was driving right by there, I delivered the Monday NDA as they wouldn't have seen them until Tuesday.

Best Buy had 2-3 Sat NDA and 10 Monday NDA. I delivered all 13 pkgs.

Maybe this is why they don't ask me to run Sat NDA very often--well, that, plus I'm sure they don't want to pay me time and a half at $42 and change/hour. Like I said, I find it stupid to deliver a stop and only leave a portion of their packages.

I sometimes have a hard time "working as directed". Or so I have been told.

I delivered the Monday NDA as they wouldn't have seen them until Tuesday.
They didn't need them until tuesday. The next Saturday when all their Monday deliveries are not brought to them on Sat, they may bitch that they didn't get them soon enough. Also, they didn't pay UPS for Sat del so by you delivering them on Sat you are (in a way) stealing profits from UPS. Be careful there UpState, there may be Golden Arches in your future and not just at Happy Meal time.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think anyone should be providing a service (such as upgrading a 1DA) that we are not getting revenue for.

Add to this that someday the shipper may send a nextday that is needed there on Saturday, and may not check "Saturday service" because he's done it this way before and it was delivered on Saturday.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Overall, the Union could careless about you.

The union is only interested in their self promotion, dues and making more money.

UPS could fire you at any time, and the union askes why? UPS can say anything and the union will accept it. They could say you were at risk or others. To me, the union is a waste of money. Prove yourself, not let others prove you threw false pretenses.

hyena

I don't think anyone should be providing a service (such as upgrading a 1DA) that we are not getting revenue for.

Add to this that someday the shipper may send a nextday that is needed there on Saturday, and may not check "Saturday service" because he's done it this way before and it was delivered on Saturday.
I agree if theyre not paying for it then they shouldnt get it. I know that there are some businesses who will order a bunch of stuff next day then one package they pay for the sat shipping, expecting everything to be delivered on sat. That and the fact that it enables them to bust the route out on monday. The best part though was then after busting the route out the on road sup went out to make a bunch of deliviries, but again im told i cant file the grievance because its the full time drivers who had there work stolen.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I agree if theyre not paying for it then they shouldnt get it. I know that there are some businesses who will order a bunch of stuff next day then one package they pay for the sat shipping, expecting everything to be delivered on sat. That and the fact that it enables them to bust the route out on monday. The best part though was then after busting the route out the on road sup went out to make a bunch of deliviries, but again im told i cant file the grievance because its the full time drivers who had there work stolen.

The full time workers get enough work during the week. Grievances only work when the stops or told number is too much week after week.

Plus, consider the new guy making the amount go up due to training, because he/she wants to impress the person in that position rather then be reasonable.

Also, include that lazy place of buisness(especially docter offices) take Friday off. Then get upset because that over night didn't get there because they take that certain day off they requested or ordered the over night junk. It's knid of hard to make that delivery when the lights are cut off.

Yesh, one day of us pre-loaders is as hard of work as a month work at a docters office. Grow up you paid educated pansies by your parents.

hyena

The full time workers get enough work during the week. Grievances only work when the stops or told number is too much week after week.

Plus, consider the new guy making the amount go up due to training, because he/she wants to impress the person in that position rather then be reasonable.

Also, include that lazy place of buisness(especially docter offices) take Friday off. Then get upset because that over night didn't get there because they take that certain day off they requested or ordered the over night junk. It's knid of hard to make that delivery when the lights are cut off.

Yesh, one day of us pre-loaders is as hard of work as a month work at a docters office. Grow up you paid educated pansies by your parents.
Theyre not sending me out to doctors offices. Actually anymore its not even business really, Its residentials that are the furthest out on the route.When I become a full time driver ill take the work i get, i wont want management delivering packages under any circumstances! If its been a long day theres always a driver who would be happy to make some overtime!

hyena

Overall, the Union could careless about you.

The union is only interested in their self promotion, dues and making more money.

UPS could fire you at any time, and the union askes why? UPS can say anything and the union will accept it. They could say you were at risk or others. To me, the union is a waste of money. Prove yourself, not let others prove you threw false pretenses.
This could not be further from the truth. The Union was built to protect the people and their rights! I will be the first person to stand up and tell you what the Union has done for me! If it wernt for the Union I wouldnt have a job not because i did anything wrong, but because im not liked by my management! And because I choose to fight back. With all the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: ive been through in the last five months without the Teamsters I would have no job! Teamsters all the way!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
That is if you're a slacker...

One of the main themes in my next thread. It depends on what your building needs. If you slack and never gain the right training, then you're seen as a slacker. Thus, the building needs you regardless. You'll be sent to some poor pd file were it is nice outside and slow.

Everyone on my line is not apart of the union, even sups. If you live real life in the real world, you would notice the need for funding no matter the low income.

The slackers are given the best atmosphere, because they need you, the building that is. Not because they see you as union participant.

Speed and accuracy matter. Yet they see your slow kind as more of a necessity then negativity. It is all reason to keep your kind because no one wants to work slave labor. They rather throw you to some lowly PD file of 130 of 3 cars then recognize your work ethic. Be prepared to work that forever.

Speed matter in promotion, understanding how the car work matters.

Thus we newbies forget, that promotion shouldnt matter no matter where you are. That the proving youself is what matters.

hyena

That is if you're a slacker...

One of the main themes in my next thread. It depends on what your building needs. If you slack and never gain the right training, then you're seen as a slacker. Thus, the building needs you regardless. You'll be sent to some poor pd file were it is nice outside and slow.

Everyone on my line is not apart of the union, even sups. If you live real life in the real world, you would notice the need for funding no matter the low income.

The slackers are given the best atmosphere, because they need you, the building that is. Not because they see you as union participant.

Speed and accuracy matter. Yet they see your slow kind as more of a necessity then negativity. It is all reason to keep your kind because no one wants to work slave labor. They rather throw you to some lowly PD file of 130 of 3 cars then recognize your work ethic. Be prepared to work that forever.

Speed matter in promotion, understanding how the car work matters.

Thus we newbies forget, that promotion shouldnt matter no matter where you are. That the proving youself is what matters.
Im not sure exactly what you mean. Im in a small center I believe one of the smallest in the country. I myself am no slacker by any means. I deffinitly carry my own and sometimes others!

backinbrown

respect my authority
heyena amen brother support the union without the union they would replace us over and over avoid health insurance, we would be a revolving door of drivers, I'm so tired of hearing how bad the union is, take another look at your paycheck and health and welfare then bitch a little more about the union.

backinbrown

respect my authority
To all new drivers who have made there 30 days congrats, your union needs you. I say this because there is a new trend of newbies and temps who are bieng hired, that are bieng intimidate by management.

from talking to the newbies at my center there is to much talk of supervisor said this supervisor said that, and its making you guys think you have to work unsafe drive to fast run up driveways, skip breaks just to meet there numbers, you need to realize the union doesnt recognize those numbers, we give a fair days work for a fair days pay, if you are doing your best and you are safe and you dont falsify anything then your best is your best. YOU CAN NOT BE FIRED FOR YOUR NUMBERS if you are following your methods and working safe and giving your best.

So what if they want to go on a three day ride with you not a big issue if they think you are slacking and go on car for a 3 day ride just follow your methods stop for stop, take all your breaks do not sort on break, youse your hand cart, put pkgs down exit vehicle pick up pkgs, walk brisk pace, do not let them help or touch pkg, youse dr bags, after this when you come in hour paid over they will no you did your best. Your methods are your best friend.

Go to your locals union meeting you will be suprised at what you can learn. request a copy of your union contract from your shop steward, any questions you have about anything you are doing or bieng asked to do ask your fellow drivers and your shop steward weve been there before, for the most part you will get good advice. You will see supervisors and center managers come and go more than you will believe but the union and your fellow teamster will be there for you allways.

You came to ups for a career if you run your route off your career probly wont last as long as you want. Just be safe youse your methods, and support your union, dont worry what sups think you have to work as directed but you dont have to run and work threw breaks, making yourself look like super mario only gets you more work, the more you do the more you get. Im not saying slack off, work hard do your best and dont be intimidated by management threats, if you do what you should your union will back you.

PLEASE NEWBIES SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL, WE ARE TEAMSTERS LETS WORK TOGETHER, NOT AGAINST EACH OTHER.

Im sorry to rant but i felt it needed to be said, i hope at least one new hire gets help from this :dead:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
At my building there are slackers. These people load like 3 cars with less then 180 in them total and with the help of two or more people.

I didn't really call you a slacker, I was insinuating the overall sum of things.

The union has a problem, and that problem is look for more money. This organization is what has been left over since the gangs of New York (not the movie, but a fact in that city, street gangs), a strong arm that was once the bullys that controlled the streets, people and their flow of income.

If you didn't join up, then you were against them. They could use any means to get their way from you. Asking a cut of your earnings every week or they would trash the place or break your windows. If it anit broke dont fix it, should be the unions new yet ye old motto. They just leave the acts of vandalism and violence out of the equation. They basically rob you of good hard earned money just to claim they are looking out for you. Looky, its a math issues oh nose! 6 times 52 is 312 dollars a year, a lot of money. You should be buying yourself something nice with that money, like a nice hat or new pair of flip flops.

The union is also one of the big time players of the Democrats. The democrats in return vouch for them once in offices. In turn, the democrats have an endless supply of funding to use on the media propaganda that sways people thinking away from cold facts. It is also another reason why I dont join, because they have a political agenda.

The only time you should join the union is if you're becoming or are a driver. Those jobs are highly sought for that it would be wise to try for more job security.

Besides, as I said, if you do your job well, hustle and keep learning more and more about the company then you shouldn't need to worry about getting fired. The sups see that you are good. They also know, well most buildings, that their turn over rate is so darn high, letting people go is out of the question even if they are slackers.

Besides again, getting fired from this job would be more of a relief then anguish. Heh, thats right I went there. I have a friend that has a great shirt he wears often to work that says "please...fire me" LOL.

Mike Hawk

At my building there are slackers. These people load like 3 cars with less then 180 in them total and with the help of two or more people.

I didn't really call you a slacker, I was insinuating the overall sum of things.

The union has a problem, and that problem is look for more money. This organization is what has been left over since the gangs of New York (not the movie, but a fact in that city, street gangs), a strong arm that was once the bullys that controlled the streets, people and their flow of income.

If you didn't join up, then you were against them. They could use any means to get their way from you. Asking a cut of your earnings every week or they would trash the place or break your windows. If it anit broke dont fix it, should be the unions new yet ye old motto. They just leave the acts of vandalism and violence out of the equation. They basically rob you of good hard earned money just to claim they are looking out for you. Looky, its a math issues oh nose! 6 times 52 is 312 dollars a year, a lot of money. You should be buying yourself something nice with that money, like a nice hat or new pair of flip flops.

The union is also one of the big time players of the Democrats. The democrats in return vouch for them once in offices. In turn, the democrats have an endless supply of funding to use on the media propaganda that sways people thinking away from cold facts. It is also another reason why I dont join, because they have a political agenda.

The only time you should join the union is if you're becoming or are a driver. Those jobs are highly sought for that it would be wise to try for more job security.

Besides, as I said, if you do your job well, hustle and keep learning more and more about the company then you shouldn't need to worry about getting fired. The sups see that you are good. They also know, well most buildings, that their turn over rate is so darn high, letting people go is out of the question even if they are slackers.

Besides again, getting fired from this job would be more of a relief then anguish. Heh, thats right I went there. I have a friend that has a great shirt he wears often to work that says "please...fire me" LOL.
Job security or flip flops, job security or hat, oh darn such a tough choice!

tieguy

Banned
Im not sure exactly what you mean. Im in a small center I believe one of the smallest in the country. I myself am no slacker by any means. I deffinitly carry my own and sometimes others!

but yet you claim the boss is always messing with you. why would the boss do that if you are doing your job and someone elses?

hyena

but yet you claim the boss is always messing with you. why would the boss do that if you are doing your job and someone elses?
Because the managers dont like me cause of my tattoos and earings!!! And as management you have that right to destroy others peoples carreers and dreams because of the power you have!

tieguy

Banned
Because the managers dont like me cause of my tattoos and earings!!! And as management you have that right to destroy others peoples carreers and dreams because of the power you have!

Lets see the average number of stops per driver is what in your building? and you claim you do much more then the average? and the only reason the boss dislikes you and is trying to fire you is because of tatoos and earrings? Meaning no one else in the entire building has tatoos or earings?

I think you need to look within and for some other reasons.