Newbies

MAKAVELI

Yesterday I went out way over my numbers and said I'll need del. hlp or, have to drop.
I figured they'd send the new PT'er next to me. Nope, had to get him off the clock.
Me? Dropped and went back out for pure OT. No problem.

Yep, CYA and milk it for all you can right now.:)

I'm pretty new but I'm over at AGFS and I can say that the training is lacking so much that I didn't know basic things about the operation of the ramp and station for a couple months. They trained me on the equipment, had me watch some videos then threw me into the mix. If you fail it's your fault but they never told me any different. A girl that was hired on the same day as me left already purely because she "hates to fail" and was messing up so much that she left because she couldn't deal with not being told what to do but getting in trouble for screwing up. So I can't speak for couriers but it's definitely that way at the ramp as well.

Maui

Oh Bull****. So tired of hearing this from older generations. I'm not a millennial but every generation has said this about the generations following them.

How many people have you hired? From which generation(s)? Generally speaking millennials desire more time off and a greater work/life balance. They also are not coming into the workforce expecting loyalty. This is different.

ProfitServiceProfit

Oh Bull****. So tired of hearing this from older generations. I'm not a millennial but every generation has said this about the generations following them.

How many people have you hired? From which generation(s)? Generally speaking millennials desire more time off and a greater work/life balance. They also are not coming into the workforce expecting loyalty. This is different.

I haven't hired anybody. I'm a lowly hourly employee that's heard the "lazy kids nowadays" speech far too often at nearly every job I've had since I was 14.

What you described isn't a lack of work ethic. It's a realization that sacrificing family/personal time for the good of the company isn't worth it in the long run for the employee. It is different from past generations. In the past you could count on being rewarded for your sacrifices with a good living wage and the prospect of a decent retirement. That's not happening in a lot of paces now so it's not surprising that younger generations are expecting to be compensated in other ways.

thedownhillEXPRESS

No, it is lack of worth ethic, the one thing Generation Me has in excess.

Your generation actually had something to still work for, like a livable wage, good healthcare and a pension providing a secure retirement.
Todays lack of "work ethic" is directly tied to their being given nothing to show for ones hard work and extreme profits given to the corporations.

DontThrowPackages

No, it is lack of worth ethic, the one thing Generation Me has in excess.
Even generation has had their share of slackers but you can't compare the WW2/Soup line generation with other generations. We're talking about people jumping off buildings and bridges because there were no jobs. When one of these types was lucky enough to get a job, he worked like a slave. Is that what you want from an employee? But then again, how much effort do you think soupline /WW2 would have giving if they knew, instead of a ceo making 4 times the average employee like back then, but 300 times the average worker's pay. Do you think they would work themselves to death so someone else can wipe their butts with 100 dollar bills or buy a 1,000 mink coat for their dog?
People today, most, are willing to work but only as hard as the company deserves based on paycheck. Like I've said before, we had two super, 20-something, couriers who would blow up anyone's route if the courier made the mistake of going on vacation. These two guys were like the Ace pitcher or closers on a baseball team. Managers knew, not only could they kill the rte but take extra stops from bordering routes. ANNDD return to building 20-30 minutes earlier. Sure they cheated their asess off but working on their lunches shows how willing they were to work. They both left the company together to work for they city. They saw how their hard work got them NOTHING in the time they were here. Only take aways. I hated their cheating but I was pulling for them to do better than this place was going to do for them and lucky, for them, they left the company.
I've been working before I'm a teenager. I've never been scared to work but I don't give the same effort here I did when I first started. Just enough to get by.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Generation Me wants to start at top dollar and not doing anything to earn it. Take the trash out......for free? Yeah, right.

They're just being good capitalists. They're smart enough not to take a screwing, and they don't buy the GOP/Libertarian "bootstrap" BS. At FedEx, your reward for hard work, is more hard work, not more money. How does that square with your Horatio Alger-type theories about getting ahead through higher effort? Most of them get hired, see through the farce...and leave. Good for them. "Generation Me" is smarter than previous generations, and they want jobs that pay well and offer good benefits. FedEx doesn't offer those kind of jobs any longer. So they don't stay...the "free market" at work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I consider myself to be a learned man but when my son comes home and shows me the work he is doing at school I feel like an idiot.

I'm sure he's very smart. With that intelligence comes the realization that there is zero opportunity at a company like FedEx. In the old days, or in the idealized world of Libertarianism, superior effort results in the reward of additional pay, promotional opportunities, etc. At FedEx, you can bust your ass and give 110% every day. Know what your "reward" will be? An expectation that you can really do 120%, and for what? NOTHING. Your pay will not be raised, you will not go FT sooner (if ever), but you might get enticed to go into management, where you literally sell your soul to our devil (Mr. Smith), and become his operative. No, thanks. Your son's generation "gets it".

HomeDelivery

as long as generation me will work "smarter" and not harder... they'll be ok in my book

yes, i'm in the older generation where hard work used to be rewarded, but not at this company or even brown town as well... you'll just get pounded with more work by going out to help others

hope your son applies what he's learning from school on the real world once he graduates; i know of a handful that took college courses and not apply them when they got out