Newest member

chev

Nightcrawler
Oh no, sorry. That is not what I was trying to say. I meant that is all it takes for some folks to throw out the Troll title.
To me a troll is someone that comes in, starts a controversial subject and never comes back to join in on the discussion.

Ahh, I see. I misunderstood you.:peaceful:
Yeah. the "troll" title is thrown about a little too much.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I agree with some of the other posters. Not those who call you a troll. Every job at UPS initially seems overwhelming. Work safe, work as instructed and you'll be fine. Be there every day and be on time. Be ready to go at start time. It amazes me that people with an 8am start time wander through the door at 7:59. Be as prepared as you can and you will be fine. Good Luck.

chev

Nightcrawler
I agree with some of the other posters. Not those who call you a troll. Every job at UPS initially seems overwhelming. Work safe, work as instructed and you'll be fine. Be there every day and be on time. Be ready to go at start time. It amazes me that people with an 8am start time wander through the door at 7:59. Be as prepared as you can and you will be fine. Good Luck.
Excellent advice. Whenever I arrive early, I feel relaxed and focused. I'm ready to do my job. If I am in a rush because I am 1 min from start time, the anxiety of trying to get there on time has me wound up and I tend to not be nearly as focused as I should be.

sx2700

Banned
Hmmm......I show up at 1600 for my 1600 start time and it doesn't bother me a bit. I get irritated when I'm 2 minutes early though because then I've cheated myself.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Brown4, I would like to welcome you to the Brown Cafe. Please disregard these troll comments, that gets overblown here too much. I wish people wouldn't automatically play that troll card when somebody new decides to join in the discussions. To me, that is troll-like behavior in itself. We should always welcome anybody that joins our community. I am thankful when people get a new job and try to educate themselves about it.:wink2:

evilleace

Welcome to brown cafe and UPS I don't know what you will be doing as I have never worked at an air ramp but good luck and be safe.

UPS Lifer

What do you mean by that.

To answer the other question... at the Ontario, Ca airport.
I have no detail on what I'll be doing. I'll know more by next Tuesday.

Welcome to the Brown Cafe!

Before I retired last year I was a senior manager at ONT. I was also the training manager for all the hub operations.

Your first week at ONT will be filled with classroom work. Next week, PM me with the name of the instructors and I will give you some insight.

Though there are peak jobs filled on the ramp, my guess is you are going to be working in the hub on one of the sorts. I was also a Hub Manager and I worked with the FAA in my final assignment with UPS.

Do you know what time frame you are working? I may be able to tell you what sort or hub shift you will be working and what that particular shift does.

Contrary to what one poster said, ONT is one of the largest operations at UPS. ONT is one of a select number of locations that offer college benefits to it's employees "Earn & Learn". It is the second largest air hub behind SDF and employs around 4000 employees.

I also used to give tours of the facility.

Also, you will not be given flashlights to park planes! You have to have seniority for that job.

sdf6hr2

Brown4: Although you may be "marshalling" (2 sticks & a vest)... where I work (SDF), this is considered a good job and requires a little senority to get into. 'round here new ramp hires get belly crew assignments. _think stacking a 3Ft. tall feeder_

Brown4

Welcome to the Brown Cafe!

Before I retired last year I was a senior manager at ONT. I was also the training manager for all the hub operations.

Your first week at ONT will be filled with classroom work. Next week, PM me with the name of the instructors and I will give you some insight.

Though there are peak jobs filled on the ramp, my guess is you are going to be working in the hub on one of the sorts. I was also a Hub Manager and I worked with the FAA in my final assignment with UPS.

Do you know what time frame you are working? I may be able to tell you what sort or hub shift you will be working and what that particular shift does.

Contrary to what one poster said, ONT is one of the largest operations at UPS. ONT is one of a select number of locations that offer college benefits to it's employees "Earn & Learn". It is the second largest air hub behind SDF and employs around 4000 employees.

I also used to give tours of the facility.

Also, you will not be given flashlights to park planes! You have to have seniority for that job.

Wow, thanks for the great response. I would really appreciate any insight and/or any advice. As far as I know, I will be working the 7:30am weekdays, 5:30am shift on Sat. and that is all I know. I will surely know exactly my duties by next week. Again, thanks a lot, you guys are great.

chev

Nightcrawler
Hmmm......I show up at 1600 for my 1600 start time and it doesn't bother me a bit. I get irritated when I'm 2 minutes early though because then I've cheated myself.

I think it is the 90 mile an hour race to get there on time when I know I have left too late from home and just make it to punch in on time. :wink2: Dumb dumb me got into an accident doing this one too many times. I'm a procrastinator. :sad-little:
I have gotten way better at this. I usually get there 15 min ahead now. I got a faster car
:laughing:

just kidding

I think I'm gonna piggyback on this post. I also work at Ont and just found this pretty amazing forum. I'm a 22.3 combo with 12 years seniority. I currently work the afternoon/twilight shifts.

Brown4, my first combo job was a hub/ramp job. I had never even seen the ramp after 7 years working there. You might be frazzled your first week out there amongst the planes and K-loaders but the more seasoned UPSers always keep an eye out for you. Get some goggles for the wind and maybe a book for the downtime. LOL

UPS LIFER, maybe you trained me. LOL I worked the AM ramp in 2005.

UPS Lifer

I think I'm gonna piggyback on this post. I also work at Ont and just found this pretty amazing forum. I'm a 22.3 combo with 12 years seniority. I currently work the afternoon/twilight shifts.

Brown4, my first combo job was a hub/ramp job. I had never even seen the ramp after 7 years working there. You might be frazzled your first week out there amongst the planes and K-loaders but the more seasoned UPSers always keep an eye out for you. Get some goggles for the wind and maybe a book for the downtime. LOL

UPS LIFER, maybe you trained me. LOL I worked the AM ramp in 2005.

You probably will remember me as the Ontario Day Sort Manager from 2000 to 2003 and I was the Training Manager for all Hub/Preload operations in 2004. In 2005 - I went back to the Day Sort and 2006-2007 I was Compliance and Dangerous Goods Training Mgr for the district with emphasis on the air operation so my office was next to BB accross from the training room on the ramp. Back in 2006 when we were going through all the FAA security clearance (remember the finger printing!) I was the FAA contact and helped to coordinate the changes we were forced to implement.

R*chard $alc*do worked for me before I retired - You must know him for sure!

You will enjoy the people here on BC! It is a great forum and it is run well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hey, guys. It looks to me like I'm the newest member of the UPS family. I just received the call from the HR lady saying I'm hired for an air ramp position, I guess i'll be working out in the airport. Now... I don't know what to expect, which is why I come to you guys...

Any advice would be great :happy-very:

I start training next week!!!

I'm sorry to hear the unfortunate news! My thoughts and prayers. Godspeed!

TEX

Hi everybody,
Looks like I'm in same seat as Brown4, only on dallas / fw airport.
Starting training toomorow.