Newly hired seasonal package handler

Airelyn

So I just got hired as a seasonal package handler last monday for the 3:50-9am shift and they told me to call in ever morning to see if they can train me for that day. I called in every day for a week just to be told they dont need me, which I dont mind, but today I was getting over a long weekend cold and got maybe 3 hours of sleep, so I stupidly decided not to call. My question is: What happens if you choose not to call in as a seasonal part time employee? Will i be fired right away? Or does nothing happen since it's not even peak yet? Do the supervisors even notice if one of the seasonal workers (that hasnt even started training yet) doesnt call?

Thanks for any rsponses I get.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Smooth move. Should have called in regardless. To them you are just a name on a piece of paper. You have yet to prove your worth to the Brown Machine. Call and beg for forgiveness and if they take you back, bust your butt to make it so they keep you.

T

Turdferguson

So I just got hired as a seasonal package handler last monday for the 3:50-9am shift and they told me to call in ever morning to see if they can train me for that day. I called in every day for a week just to be told they dont need me, which I dont mind, but today I was getting over a long weekend cold and got maybe 3 hours of sleep, so I stupidly decided not to call. My question is: What happens if you choose not to call in as a seasonal part time employee? Will i be fired right away? Or does nothing happen since it's not even peak yet? Do the supervisors even notice if one of the seasonal workers (that hasnt even started training yet) doesnt call?

Thanks for any rsponses I get.

They will notice, but you should be OK

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Just say that the phone rang for 5 minutes with no answer.

When I worked the preload many moons ago, not answering the phone was their way of preventing call outs.

upschuck

Just call in tomorrow, probably didn't notice, they have many sups that probably don't talk to each other anyways. Also, if they needed you, they would have called you in. Worst thing that would happen is that another new hire skipped over you. Don't make this a habit, and call in everyday, even though it is a pain to wake up to call, then go back to sleep.

Airelyn

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit of a paranoid person, so I wanted to get some answers ASAP about what will happen if I dont call. It wont be happening again! I appreciate all the nonjudgemental/honest replies :)

PT Car Washer

The preload on Monday is normally a slow day. Most of the loads are already at the building and preload starts a bit earlier. Tell them the truth if anyone ask and don't try some BS excuse like some have told you. They will see right through it.

Nike

Just show up. One of the other guys might want the day off. Or somebody might have not shown up

Sent using BrownCafe App

watdaflock?

Most likely the manager didn't even notice. Call in tomorrow and if the manager asks why you didn't call in yesterday, play dumb and say you did.

Airelyn

My old supervisor just got replaced and he told me when i called in on friday that they will need a lot of workers on tuesday, so IF the new sup asks why I didnt call in yesterday I'll play dumb and say "____ said you'll need people on tuesday so i thought that meant not to call in until then." Should be simple enough to be believable. I'll find out tomorrow I guess!