News we missed during the week

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a kid growing up we had a big picture window in our living room. We lost count of how many birds were either injured or killed flying in to the window. You would think if birds are able to fly thousands of miles twice a year (migration) that they would be able to avoid picture windows and wind turbines.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I was a kid growing up we had a big picture window in our living room. We lost count of how many birds were either injured or killed flying in to the window. You would think if birds are able to fly thousands of miles twice a year (migration) that they would be able to avoid picture windows and wind turbines.

Birdbrain. Say no more?

wkmac

Birdwatchers flock to see rare bird, then watch it killed by wind turbine

There hasn’t been a sighting of a White-throated Needletail in the United Kingdom for 22 years, so nearly
80 birdwatchers flocked to Scotland this week to get a look, the Telegraph reported.

But instead of enjoying the world’s fastest flying bird soaring, they watched it fly into the small blade
of a wind turbine and die.

Rare bird, white-throated needletail, killed by wind turbine in front of crowd of twitchers | Mail Online

Are you truly concerned about the birds or is this just part of a political narrative and agenda? If it's for the birds, then I'll await the same condemnation of the automobile which kills 1000's of birds daily along with other animals to boot.

wkmac

Some of the growing success stories out of Detroit.

The language of budget cuts, austerity, and sequestration seem to dominate the media's landscape these days, instilling fear into Americans of vital government services being cut and chaos ensuing if governments aren't allowed to spend and borrow infinitely. Conservatives decry supposed cuts to the military-industrial-complex, and liberals bemoan that without government welfare transfer programs, there would be social Darwinism. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) even blamed the Benghazi scandal on — wait for it — budget cuts and the sequester.

Leaving aside the details on whether the U.S. budget is actually shrinking, one needs to look no further than the city of Detroit to find the spontaneous order, civic cooperation, and peaceful market forces that take over when government simply isn't around.

Detroit is absolutely bankrupt. The city faces a cash shortfall of more than $100 million by June 30. Long-term liabilities, including pensions, exceed $14 billion. Michigan Governor Rick Snyder wants to bail out Detroit's city government even further. Thanks to the financial situation of Detroit, emergency services like police and fire departments are being severely cut short. 911 is only taking calls during business hours. Homes have been abandoned making parts of the city look like a ghost town.

If our public servants are right and wouldn't dare lie and try to scare us, then chaos, anarchy and lawlessness should reign in Detroit now, right? Well, not exactly.

This is What Budget Cuts Have Done to Detroit ... And It's Freaking Awesome

texan

Are you truly concerned about the birds or is this just part of a political narrative and agenda? If it's for the birds, then I'll await the same condemnation of the automobile which kills 1000's of birds daily along with other animals to boot.
Of course the Wkmac see through me and challenges my intent.:sad-little:

I tried not to comment, but it is the political narrative.

I do appreciate and respect all the creation, and it pains my heart when I see road kill.

I feed squirrels and birds at times.

I see it as ironic.

By the way how many abandoned wind turbines are in the us? 14 to 15 thousand.

Despite billions in taxpayer subsidies pumped into the so-called “green-energy” industry, almost 15,000
windmills — maybe more — have been left to rot across America.

"If wind power made sense, why would it need a government subsidy in the first place?” wondered
Heritage Foundation policy analyst Ben Lieberman, who deals with energy and environmental issues.

“It's a bubble which bursts as soon as the government subsidies end."

It turns out that wind power is expensive and inefficient even in the best wind-farm locations in the world.

And regular power plants always need to be on standby in case there is no wind, not enough wind, or even too much
of it — a fairly regular occurrence.

14000 Abandoned Wind Turbines In The USA | Tory Aardvark

Abandoned Eyesores Almost Certain to Proliferate Across the Maine Countryside Unless We Stop Them - Citizens' Task Force on Wind Power - Maine

wkmac

Of course the Wkmac see through me and challenges my intent.:sad-little:

I tried not to comment, but it is the political narrative.

I do appreciate and respect all the creation, and it pains my heart when I see road kill.

I feed squirrels and birds at times.

I see it as ironic.

By the way how many abandoned wind turbines are in the us? 14 to 15 thousand.

Despite billions in taxpayer subsidies pumped into the so-called “green-energy” industry, almost 15,000

"If wind power made sense, why would it need a government subsidy in the first place?” wondered
Heritage Foundation policy analyst Ben Lieberman, who deals with energy and environmental issues.

It turns out that wind power is expensive and inefficient even in the best wind-farm locations in the world.

And regular power plants always need to be on standby in case there is no wind, not enough wind, or even too much

14000 Abandoned Wind Turbines In The USA | Tory Aardvark

Abandoned Eyesores Almost Certain to Proliferate Across the Maine Countryside Unless We Stop Them - Citizens' Task Force on Wind Power - Maine

First, as to the claim of 14k abandoned windmills, the source of that claim at Zambio has now been pulled down so this claim is now unsupported. No other source has been provided. There are abandoned windmills but the claim of 14k to 15k across the net seems to have sourced back to Tory Aardvark using the Zambio piece and has been used by both local folk who are fighting windmill construction or opponents of alternative energy vested in maintaining the status quo of energy production in this country.

The other part about gov't economic intervention in the various alternative energy formats, I completely and totally agree. I'm a huge fan of alternative power but not on a centralized grid platform. That cartel/monopoly I want to undermine, not prop it up and gov't intervention corrupts that market not helps it or as Tory rightly said, creates a bubble that will bust and I wonder if that is not the point while lining the pockets with other people's money taken at the point of a gun!

804brown

Why don't we stop the BILLIONS we spend on carbon based dirty fuels subsidies and maybe alternative energy will be able to compete!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why don't we stop the BILLIONS we spend on carbon based dirty fuels subsidies and maybe alternative energy will be able to compete!!
If you close all the gas stations tonight.........are the recharging stations out there for the elec. cars? No!! Things would need to be phased out over many, many years. You don't cut your nose to spite your face !!

Now,if you phase out over many years, then I will be driving an internal combustion engine 'til I die !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you close all the gas stations tonight.........are the recharging stations out there for the elec. cars? No!! Things would need to be phased out over many, many years. You don't cut your nose to spite your face !!

Now,if you phase out over many years, then I will be driving an internal combustion engine 'til I die !!!

Keeping the prices of petroleum based fuels artificially low through subsidizing does not provide those who produce alternative fuels with a level playing field. Obviously the transition will take time but it will take even longer if we continue to support Big Oil.

wkmac

The ‘Great Authors in 10 Quotes’ is an ongoing series meant to expose libertarian-leaning readership with some of the most noteworthy thinkers in the classical liberal, libertarian, and anarchist traditions. The challenge is finding material deep enough to reflect an author’s thought, while still being accessible for a brand new reader. We encourage readers to leave comments linking to other written works and videos by the author.

Gary Chartier is a defining advocate of left-libertarian market anarchism. His work synthesizes ideas from numerous classical liberal, libertarian, and anarchist traditions. An eclectic thinker, he cites both anarcho-capitalist Murray Rothbard and mutualist Kevin Carson among his primary influences. Chartier is a profound thinker who deserves more attention for his insights that challenge preconceived notions about the left, the right, libertarianism, and political action.