NFL: Saints violated 'Bounty Rule'

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
It is ethics.
However, I would reverse the Payton and Loomis punishment.

Loomis - the year and Payton - a few games.

Greg Williams - the Pete Rose treatment.

brownedout

It is ethics.
However, I would reverse the Payton and Loomis punishment.

Loomis - the year and Payton - a few games.

Greg Williams - the Pete Rose treatment.
I too felt Loomis should have drawn an equal if not longer suspension than Payton's. But the news for the GM gets even better. As reported by Fox Sorts Jay Glaser, while Payton's year begins April 1, Loomis' suspension will not begin until after the final pre-season game. The Vitt suspension just adds fuel to the fire as he would have been Payton's hand-picked sucessor. While Payton's suspension seemed long when I first heard about it, there has been plenty of discussion about it. Plus I just saw a quick interview with Roger Goodell on ESPN. The Saints staff first lied about the bounty programs existence, eventually came clean, said it was put to an end, and then it continued. Te league really needed to take a hard line stance as it has alot of legal issues coming up regarding among other things concussions and brief careers. Goodell summed up his actions by saying the safety of our players has to be our primary concern. That is a sentiment all us upsers can understand. I also hope when Goodell re-examines Williams' actions at the end of the season he keeps him from the sidelines for at least another year, even maybe including aj's lifetime ban. I saw his statement after the ruling in which he (or his PR people) said all the right stuff. But the length of time this went on, come on, there's no place in the game for it. About the only winner in all of todays news is Drew Brees who will undoubtly receive the mega contract he already earned.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I am waiting for the fallout on players.

The past year, I have praised Vilma. He was working on his career - post NFL - as a D-coordinator.
GW was grooming him to follow in the footsteps of players like Kevin Greene...

The hammer is gonna come down on Vilma.

(This very difficult for me. I believed in Sean Payton. I know better than thinking this could have contributed to Steve Gleason's quick decline and diagnosis of ALS. However, so many ask if my motorcycle crash contributed the diagnosis of MS less than a year later. Arai reported my helmet compression was 3/4 inch. The helmet saved my life and my brian was hit harder than any NFL player would take....)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Congress can't even make a budget, but Dick Durbin wants the Senate to get involved with this Saints business. Good Grief !!
(just heard it)

brownedout

The past year, I have praised Vilma. He was working on his career - post NFL - as a D-coordinator.

This would be a mistake by the NFL. There should be no player suspensions because they were out there (playing) with a bounty edict. These games were played and they are over. After every game tape is reviewed by the league, any dirty play that was not flagged during said game is open for a fine if discovered. Just ask Steelers Linebacker James Harrisson. I'm fairly sure, though not positive, a Saint or 2, probably more was fined in this regard while the bounty program existed. That was their fine, penalty. To now "retry" them so to say, because we now know they were playing with "an intent to cause harm" would be wrong. It is actually the very nature of the game itself to cause harm. This is tackle football. Not 2 hand touch or flag. The same league that now may be looking to suspend players who have not already been fined for their actions, uses these very same players to market themselves. If any Saint were fined after a game for a late or uneccessary hit during the time of this bounty, that would be the only case I think the league should have for suspension. I have been around the sport of football for over 30 years as a player, coach, official, administrator, and official again, while all this talk of bounties seems very dirty it is not new. And unfortunately will not end. Bounties will continue, flags will fly, during the season in the sports section on Wednesdays will be small passages of fines for dirty, unnecessary hits. We will wonder if the burden of the fine will be lessened by a bounty collected by the player. I love this game, it is the nature of it, I accept it, when on the field in an "official" capacity I try to change it, what little I can. As watered down as the game has become, it is still violent, players will get hurt, careers will be ended. It won't always be because of a bounty or even dirty play. Most injuries are usually "freakish" in nature, and alot of "dirty" play(er)s are more likely (stupid) decisions. I sincerely hope there is minimal player suspension and only for what I have already mentioned.

(This very difficult for me. I believed in Sean Payton. I know better than thinking this could have contributed to Steve Gleason's quick decline and diagnosis of ALS. However, so many ask if my motorcycle crash contributed the diagnosis of MS less than a year later. Arai reported my helmet compression was 3/4 inch. The helmet saved my life and my brian was hit harder than any NFL player would take....)

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Bounty Gate is over.

The hammer came down on Vilma.

brownedout

Due to earlier statements by me on this thread, I have received a censure from my supervisors at the NCAA, I will not be able to post my feelings regarding todays rulings. We do have strict "social media guidelines" we are required to follow as I do, I was unaware it reached into the NFL and included off-field disciplinary decisions.

brownedout

The NCAA monitors Brown Cafe?? I hope they read this----college football needs a playoff system.

BCS Executve Director Bill Hancock was just on the Dan Patrick Show. Says he expects the conferences to agree to the plus 4 playoff system in principle before this coming season, to be implemented for 2014 season.