Night deliveries and a good flashlight

New Englander

I just slow down - have never used a flashlight in almost 6 years now. All as a cover driver who covers 17 routes out of our center.

Remember when they start loading up your car with extra stops! Safety Safety Safety! You have to drive much slower at night to maintain that 8 - 12 second eye lead time ;)

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Remember when they start loading up your car with extra stops! Safety Safety Safety! You have to drive much slower at night to maintain that 8 - 12 second eye lead time ;)

I'm sure this has been covered before on BC but at what cost are these after dark deliveries being made? Someone in the Safety Dept. has to have the cost of injuries and accidents after dark during peak.

LLTailor

03shan184.jpg

I assume this would be a little: "Out of uniform" ?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
guys and gals...google "cree lights" and one of the top search results will be "dealsextreme". Now these lights are not surefire quality, and they are shipped from overseas, but I have a few of them and they are excellent for the price point. The site has MANY reviews of each light so you can "filter" the info to really separate the good lights from the bad. You can get lights there that run on AA, AAA, CR123, and a variety of other batteries. The site also has a huge amount of other stuff, or "junk", but the lights I have received Ive been really happy with, and the shipping is includes in the price. I have a light that takes 2 aa and I can shine it from the truck and find numbers on the house 100 feet away and it was 20 dollars shipped. It is also small enough to fit in a lunchbox or coat pocket. And if someone tries to jack you out there it has a protective bezel which can be used to protect yourself, you never know.

Last edited:

rocket man

NO number on box or house ill walk to house there goes 9 5 if no one is home crosby cross no such number need directions send message to center. these people dont want to spend 2 dollars on numbers screw them im not getting written up for a bad delivery.

WyoBrown

I'm sure this has been covered before on BC but at what cost are these after dark deliveries being made? Someone in the Safety Dept. has to have the cost of injuries and accidents after dark during peak.
I already have a little anxiety about the shorter days and longer nights. I so hate working at night, especially as a cover driver. Our routes are heavy, 175 to 200 stops (before peak!) and the idea of trying to navigate in the dark sucks.

I found good light at HomeDepot for $50 (85 lumens). I tried it out last night in the backyard and it worked great. Hope the homeowners don't think the SWAT team has arrived when Im lighting up their house looking for the ever elusive house number :/

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Surefire 6p Defender with beveled edge. The beam is unmatched and the beveled edge is in case you need to stamp someone in the forehead. Military grade, you'll never find a better made product.

some1else

pull into drive way --> highbeams--> toss it on the porch (if its a letter throw by the corner they go like a frisbee)

some1else

the only part i dont get about dhl is leaving the truck running?

then you have to use the emergency brake when you stop; i turn it off that way i only have to crank and let the clutch out (2nd gear of course) to get moving. if you leave it running you have to clutch, shift to gear, let the brake off, ease the clutch out, and go. i guess with a auto it makes more sense.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Here is something I rigged up today. I took a few strips on Velcro and wrapped them together, and then took a strip around my flashlight. I can just "stick" it to my wrist and not worry about it falling off (even when driving). You can also hold the DIAD and not worry about carrying the flashlight too.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Oh..one last thought about those wanting to use "Maglite" brand. They recently passed a law in our state where you no longer can buy those 3 or more cell Maglites unless you are in law enforcement. Apparently, they consider it a weapon and people have used them in "road rage" attacks.

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh..one last thought about those wanting to use "Maglite" brand. They recently passed a law in our state where you no longer can buy those 3 or more cell Maglites unless you are in law enforcement. Apparently, they consider it a weapon and people have used them in "road rage" attacks.

Just more STUPID laws -----Now you will have to resort to carrying a hammer with you. :wink2: