Nine Military Officers Demolish Fox's Benghazi "Stand Down" Order Fable

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 728ups, Jul 11, 2014.

  1. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    Republican heads will soon be exploding over this story!!!


    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/07/10/nine-military-officers-demolish-foxs-benghazi-s/200062
    Newly released transcripts of congressional testimony from nine military officers confirmed that no "stand down" order was issued during the September 2012 Benghazi attacks, again debunking Fox News' constantly-cited myth.

    The Associated Press reported July 10 that previously classified testimony given to Congress from the military officers "undermines contentions by Republican lawmakers that a 'stand-down order' held back military assets that could have saved the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans killed at a diplomatic outpost and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya." Instead, the military officers confirmed that the Special Operations team of four who were in Tripoli that night "were instructed to help protect and care for those being evacuated from Benghazi and from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli. The senior military officer who issued the instruction to 'remain in place' and the detachment leader who received it said it was the right decision and has been widely mischaracterized."

    This new testimony confirms previous reports that debunked the false claim that someone in the Obama administration or military had denied assistance to Americans at the diplomatic facilities in Benghazi the night of the terrorist attacks. Lt. Col. S.E. Gibson, the former commander of a four-member Army Special Forces unit in Tripoli, Libya, and Gen. Martin Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, both told congressional committees over a year ago that no stand down order was given. Multiple CIA senior officershave repeatedly denied the false charge. In early 2014, a House Armed Services Committee report and a bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee report put the myth to rest.

    As Media Matters previously noted, Fox News was a primary force behind the false "stand down" story claim. Just a month after the attacks they repeatedly suggested that the Obama administration had made a "political decision" to allow Americans to be killed, and pushed variations on the false "stand down" narrative in 85 primetime segments in the following months. The network has continued to push the myth long after it was debunked, citing questions of why military aid was supposedly withheld as a rationale for the establishment of the House select committee on Benghazi.

    A six-member quick reaction team and 60 Libyan militiamen in Benghazi responded to the attack, and reinforcements from the embassy in Tripoli arrived the same night.
     
  2. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    here is another link
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/apnewsbreak-stand-order-benghazi-24507933
    Officers Say No 'Stand-Down Order' for Benghazi
    WASHINGTON — Jul 11, 2014, 6:11 AM ET
    By BRADLEY KLAPPER and DONNA CASSATA Associated Press

    Military officers testified that there was no "stand-down order" that held back military assets that could have saved the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans killed at a diplomatic outpost and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya. Their testimony undercut the contention of Republican lawmakers.

    The "stand-down" theory centers on a Special Operations team — a detachment leader, a medic, a communications expert and a weapons operator with his foot in a cast — that was stopped from flying from Tripoli to Benghazi after the attacks of Sept. 11-12, 2012, had ended. Instead, it was instructed to help protect and care for those being evacuated from Benghazi and from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

    The senior military officer who issued the instruction to "remain in place" and the detachment leader who received it said it was the right decision and has been widely mischaracterized. The order was to remain in Tripoli and protect some three dozen embassy personnel rather than fly to Benghazi some 600 miles away after all Americans there would have been evacuated. And the medic is credited with saving the life of an evacuee from the attacks.

    Transcripts of hours of closed-door interviews with nine military leaders by the House Armed Services and Oversight and Government Reform committees were made public for the first time on Wednesday.

    Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the oversight panel, has suggested that Hillary Rodham Clinton gave the order, though as secretary of state at the time, she was not in the military chain of command.

    Despite lingering public confusion over many events that night, the testimony shows military leaders largely in agreement over how they responded to the attacks.

    The initial, Sept. 11 assault on the diplomatic post, which killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and another American, prompted immediate action both in Benghazi and in Tripoli. Though not under any known further threat, the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, the Libyan capital, was evacuated early in the morning of Sept. 12, its sensitive information and computer hard drives destroyed. Diplomats and military officials left in armored vehicles for a classified U.S. site several miles away. Upon arrival there, the head of a small detachment entrusted with training Libyan special forces told his higher-ups he wanted to take his four-member team to Benghazi.

    Military officials differ on when that telephone conversation took place, but they agree that no help could have arrived in Benghazi in time. They put the call somewhere between 5:05 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. local time. It would take about 90 minutes to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi. The next U.S.-chartered plane to make the trip left at 6:49 a.m., meaning it could have arrived shortly before 9 a.m., nearly four hours after the second, 11-minute battle at the CIA facility ended at about 5:25 a.m.

    Republicans investigating Benghazi have clashed over whether military superiors, in effect, ordered the team to stand down. Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif., the Armed Services Committee chairman, has cited previous testimony from military officers that ordering the foursome to stay in Tripoli and protect embassy personnel there didn't amount to "standing down."
     
  3. oldngray

    oldngray nowhere special

    There was no stand down order. That would have been an order to turn around and leave. Instead they were told to wait in place. Which meant they didn't go anywhere but neither did they go to help so had the same effect as a stand down.
     
  4. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    perhaps you didnt see this part of the article:
    The senior military officer who issued the instruction to "remain in place" and the detachment leader who received it said it was the right decision and has been widely mischaracterized. The order was to remain in Tripoli and protect some three dozen embassy personnel rather than fly to Benghazi some 600 miles away after all Americans there would have been evacuated. And the medic is credited with saving the life of an evacuee from the attacks.


    Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...-stand-down-order-fable.357143/#ixzz37CeLmTer
     
  5. oldngray

    oldngray nowhere special

    Still only part of story. The Many people are still not being allowed to testify.
     
  6. MAKAVELI

    MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

    Sure there is.;) I think I just saw a unicorn.
     
  7. BrownArmy

    BrownArmy Well-Known Member

    [​IMG]
     
  8. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    right, there have been what.............six or seven investigations, NINE Military officers INCLUDING the person who gave the order to Remain in Place and the one who recieved the order to Remain in Place BOTH testified it was the CORRECT measure and yet.............................you still arent satisfied. righto...............
     
  9. Jones

    Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

    Trey Gowdy will get to the bottom of all this. Just you wait.
     
  10. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    He was really :censored2: off when the 'mastermind' behind the attacks was caught.It upset his entire deranged agenda lol
     
  11. Bringdough

    Bringdough Active Member

    There are still many questions unanswered. Why was a request for better security turned down. Where was Obama during the attack. Why concoct the video story? Why lie to the parents of the dead service members about the video. Why raid the film makers house and keep him in jail for so long? Why did they hire the Libyan militia to provide security? They were not trustworthy.


    Sent using BrownCafe App
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  12. bbsam

    bbsam Moderator Staff Member

    Considering the covert CIA mission that was going on nearby, none of those answers will ever see the light of day and everybody in Congress knows it. But there's politics to be played.
     
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Bringdough

    Bringdough Active Member

    I agree with you on that, there was something along those lines going on. But I don't argue with the hard left on those points, because like you said we'll never know. Unless someone with the info and the balls leaks it. But there is still enough questions on other serious matters that we need answers too.


    Sent using BrownCafe App
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    erm you mean the Right will continue beating the Dead Horse that is Benghazi until they find some tiny, meaningless clue that they can twist,and blow up in size to some how blame Obama. Dosent matter how many millions of Taxpayer dollars are spent!
     
  15. moreluck

    moreluck golden ticket member

    "Dosent matter how many millions of Taxpayer dollars are spent! " (728)

    same could be said of the immigration money request of the president! (except it would be billions
     
  16. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    the President needs that money to enforce the immigration laws signed by Bush...NEXT!
     
  17. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    that's all you got from this article? the Silence from the Right Wingers on the forum on this thread debunking Faux News Myths is deafining
     
  18. moreluck

    moreluck golden ticket member

    So you admit it came from your article? How can that be a "derail" if a comment is on the article you posted ? Makes no sense like every other thing you post.
     
  19. 728ups

    728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

    you are much more entertaining when you post Selfies
     
  20. Bringdough

    Bringdough Active Member

    You ever hear of the psychological term projection? That's exactly what dems do to republicans.
    Clinton fires all US attorneys upon taking office. Bush fires 2 US attorneys. Dems hold investigation.
    Ted Kennedy leaves woman to drown in a lake, after driving his car off the road. Dems call her the lion of the senate and advocate of women's rights.
    GOP senator bob packwood steals kisses from women in elevators. He is forced to resign.
    Clinton takes advantage of a teenage girl, lies under oath to a federal judge in a sexual harassment , destroys a girls life, stains her dress. GOP house member mark foley forced to resign for sending sexually related text message to former house pages.
    Republicans are racists. The civil right laws of the 50's and 60's don't pass without GOP votes. Dem senators, Fulbright, Gore Sr, and former KKK member Byrd vote against civil rights laws.
    I am sick of the dems double standards. And if you can't see that you are a blind partisan hack.


    Sent using BrownCafe App
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List