NMA...we were robbed

BleedBrown33

Welcome and greetings im new to the website but have always stopped by and veiwed the latest opinions.

We need to start coming together for 2013 contract talks and gearing up for victory. No more should the word givebacks be in our collective vocabulary.This is what should be the minimum won against the machine:

~Pension-we should eliminate the monthly accruals for retirement.

~Proposed: remedy a mainstreamed friend/T and P/T % benefit. Lets say around the ball park of:

~Average will be of gross pay from last three years to determine % payout
*5 and out-15%
*10 and out-30%
*20 and out-55%
~an increase of 1% every year after 20 yrs to a max of 35 yrs

~New hire increase base starting pay to $12.00 an hr, also increase difference to all seniority employees

*increases of
*$1.00 after 90 days
*$0.75 1st yr
*$0.75 2nd yr
*$0.80 3rd yr
*$0.95 4th yr

~The complete freeze of part-time hiring, when employees leave under any circumstance there job will be combined with the next senior employee in that center with desire for full-time work.

*When all are satisfied then the use of part-time may continue with a check and balance of above coming every 3 and 1/3 years

*Further stipulation is that if a dire need for part-time labor presents it self employees will be hired on temporary basis until all full-time is filled. Then all hired will be permanent.

~Supervisors working will be a one week guarantee= your base pay x's 17.5 hrs or 40 hrs.

~Preload will be turned to a full-time job so preloaders can 100% sort truck for driver. 11:00 pm to 8:30 am.

~Minimum 5% match in 401k

~Option to defer wage increases so health benefits can be 100% covered after retirement.

~Seniority will supercede= all the old-timers will always do lessor job by their choice. There will be no more penaltys for refusing to do unjust work meaning while completing juniors work while junior does yours.

~All full-time data will be divulged to local for pupose od governing the filling of these jobs in a timely manner, and all time that a part-time employee could have been doing full-time work will result in back pay.

This may sound like a bit much but it is not we are to afraid to ask for more and now is the time come together before more is lost

Please i urge all to print this and post/hand out to everyone you know so we can all bring this to the table when next negotiations begin. Brothers and sisters this is the least we should settle for next time and hoffa is not even going to come close to these demands so remember this next election.

Signing out, this is the answer just believe and we can make it happen we are 420,000 strong!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Welcome and greetings im new to the website but have always stopped by and veiwed the latest opinions.

We need to start coming together for 2013 contract talks and gearing up for victory. No more should the word givebacks be in our collective vocabulary.This is what should be the minimum won against the machine:

Signing out, this is the answer just believe and we can make it happen we are 420,000 strong!

Someone, maybe even you, needs to put together a plan together with the same effort and thought as to how the Teamsters are going to organize FedEx.

That, more than anything else, will ensure union bargaining power and that your jobs and pensions are around in 2013 or 2020 or 2027.

BleedBrown33

Agreed but as long as we have the same leadership we will fail. The Hoffa campaign is not working for the best interests of its members and a movement should be done for there removal from office. The best quote i have ever heard is:
"EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN DO NOTHING"

BleedBrown33

That is why we fail most are to afraid to get/demand what we deserve and are just willing to settle for whatever crumbs UPS is willing to give. Stop begging and start taking we are more valuble than you think and in contract talks you always high-ball if we were to receive even a quarter of that i proposed it would be "THE BEST CONTRACT EVER"

tieguy

Banned
Agreed but as long as we have the same leadership we will fail. The Hoffa campaign is not working for the best interests of its members and a movement should be done for there removal from office. The best quote i have ever heard is:
"EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN DO NOTHING"

I don't like to get involved when you folks talk leadership however....:happy-very:

In answering his point about organizing Fdx you reply that Hoffa will do nothing.

Yet the devils advocate may point out that Hoffa has been increasing your membership by signing up the UPS freight guys. And that advocate might say that Hoffa does appear to be fighting for the right to organize fdx employees as seen through numerous litigations he appears to have pending.

Thus the question why you think Hoffa will do nothing?

BleedBrown33

Answer to question he will bring us something bogus to the table most likely the lowest offer the company puts on the table. He will do nothing as far givebacks and conceiding more of the great benefits we have now. Hoffa's biggest problem is he plays catch up all the time instead of fighting for more and better he just prays he can give as little back as possible and never asks for more. The mention to him bringing in freight on paper sounds like it will help but that is yet to be seen. Finally freight is going to eliminate the entire irreg dept at every center most likely by next contract

Mike Hawk

You don't know what you are talking about, I am all for a better contract, but if we got everything you propose UPS would lose money, go bankrupt and you wouldn’t have a job. If people could get pension payments for the rest of their lives after working 5 years every plan would go broke.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You don't know what you are talking about, I am all for a better contract, but if we got everything you propose UPS would lose money, go bankrupt and you wouldn’t have a job. If people could get pension payments for the rest of their lives after working 5 years every plan would go broke.

Well put. It a good thing BleedBrown33 doesn't own his own business, he would never survive the marketplace. I am amazed how many people don't understand the business they are employed in. The more we raise our rates to pay for these great ideas, the more revenue and jobs we lose to lower paying competitors.

dillweed

In the current economy I'm glad to have a secure job and a bit of improvement in the new contract. Very few jobs have the benefits and pay as ours. We work hard and deserve it but to ask for the moon isn't reasonable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with the others that most, if not all, of the talking points offered by BB33 are unrealistic, but I would like to see a match on our 401k. 5% seems a bit high but a company match of the first 3% of our contribution seems reasonable. Some would argue that UPS paying the administrative fees is the same as a match and, while it does help, it does not offset what a 3% match would add.

I have to admit that if his proposal of a penalty of one weeks pay for a supervisor working is implemented it would certainly deter them from doing so.

BB33, I admire your enthusiam and the hard work that obviously went in to your discussion but these proposals have about as much chance of being adopted as all of us going to work Monday morning and being dispatched with an 8 hour day.

BleedBrown33

Partially agreed that maybe it is to much but is that not negotiations shoot for the moon and if we get even 20% of the proposal we would be a lot better off than before. Right?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
is that not negotiations shoot for the moon and if we get even 20% of the proposal we would be a lot better off than before. Right?

when aiming to go to the moon, one tends to believe one can actually make it. anything less than the moon is total failure.

with your starting proposals, there would not be one item that would lend itself to a common area for agreement. and that is with the current status of the economy.

now what makes you think that in 2013 things will be that much better?

it might be that you will bend over backwards to keep a job making 15 an hour, just to keep you job and pay for food on the table.

yeah, the idea is to start higher, then let them trim, but your dreams are way way way out there.

d

BleedBrown33

More realistic asking prices and this is the least i honestly think we should accept:

~new hires start at least at $11.00/hr with same increase for all senior employees and similar progression as above
------------------------------------------------
~Still do away with monthly accrual for pension
-20yrs 45% of avg. last 3 yrs base pay

-1% increase for every yr after 20 to a max of 35
-new buyout option of $ 25,000.00 a yr injection into to individual 401k plan for retirement at 20 yrs for a max of $125,000.00 deposit.
------------------------------------------------
~Full-time checks and balance please feel free to add ideas but we need something to force their hand for more full-time jobs created.

-Here's an idea what about eliminating the overtime after 5 hrs and change it to overtime after 7 hrs. Im sure there are a lot that would be on board for working 6 to 7 hrs a day. More hours more money i would vote yes.

~We must demand 4 hr daily guarantee for part-timers. I will not back off of that one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Same penalty for sup's working
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~A vacation based on weekly pto accrual
-option days dont change
-accrual x's every 20 hrs p/t and 40 hrs friend/t worked
-1yrs =0.50
-2yrs =0.78
-5yrs =1.25
-10yrs =1.90
-15yrs =2.55
-20yrs =3.20
-25yrs =3.85
-30yrs =4.50
~No more forced payout max. of 2080 hrs p/t and 4160 hrs friend/t saved vacation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~minimum of 2.5% match in 401k max. of first $2,500.00 annually.
---------------------------------------------------------------
~all preload friend/t positions for service reasons.
-------------------------------------------
~option to defer wages for retirement health benefits.
----------------------------------------------------
~new wage increase plan or something along these lines.....
-1 to 5 yrs min. of 4.50% and max. of 9.50%
-5 to 10 yrs min. of 4.25% and max. of 9.00%
-10 to 15 yrs min. of 3.75% and max. of 8.50%
-15 to 20 yrs min. of 3.50% and max. of 8.25%
-20 to 25 yrs min. of 3.25% and max. of 8.00%
-25 to 35 yrs min. of 3.00% and max. of 7.75%

-skilled raise increase to $2.50 instead of current $1.00
-shifter pay changed to $0.50 above all others including sorters

BleedBrown33

If you would like to bash me anymore...my question is where are your answers for reform? Youre ideas for better agreements? I may be wrong or right but at least i am trying to find an answer for all of us with our best intrest at heart. Instead of ridiculing me help find solutions. Think outside the box lets put our minds together so we can win next time around instead of more record givebacks. If we are not serious about change why did we strike in 97 just to giveback in 08. Lets truely get the "Best Contract ever". The majority does not vote on our leaders at the whitehouse. Many think my vote wont even matter in the long run. With our union we can make incredible change with our votes everyone truely does count we have the power we have had the power now is the time to use it. One man can make a difference. Answer this if i lead for a better agreement for all of us not the full-timers or the part-timers all of us will you follow? Will you stand by me so we can make a real difference? For us to acheive what others have only dreamed about? To wrestle the prize away from the death grip Ups has on what we treasure? Or will you let me stand alone and lose because you were afraid to ask for what we really deserve or think that the asking price is to high or just simply because of just settling for less is fine with you. Or the phrase i love more than any is we should be happy with what we have got. I dare you...i dare you to move! To dream, to win, to suceed. Alone im one man, together we our a brickwall that Ups will never be able to drive through again! EVER! Lets fight for what the founder envisioned to make this the great company it once was to take care of the employees and the american dream we were all sold in the begining.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Musical "Man of La Mancha" - The Impossible Dream Lyrics

Lyrics by Joe Darion
In this song, Quixote explains his quest and the reasons behind it ... in doing so,
he captures the essence of the play and its philosophical underpinnings.
(For me, it is absolutely magical.)

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest ...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

Again, I admire your enthusiam, but UPS is one windmill that I think even Don Quixote would back down from.

Mike Hawk

FT preload does not always work at every center, like mine with about 15 people, our volume gets to the center between 2:30ish and 6:00, not possible to have FT preload. Our local sort has 2 hours of trailer loading then trucks are parked, send agains unloaded and they go home after 3 hours, unless they want to do odd jobs for another half hour. One more thing, if everyone is FT on the preload then some people will lose their jobs, the total number of man hours to accomplish a task wont change, only each person gets more hours individually, so they need less individuals.

I agree the sup working needs more teeth, right now they are not afraid to violate it, However a weeks pay is a lot, too much for UPS to agree to. Maybe $100 +hours worked x triple time.

Maxed vacation, would you like it if you couldn't take vacation because a few old timers saved up a years vacation and used it before retirement, only so many people can be on vacation at one tine you know.

You are aiming in the right direction, but your target is unattainable. Also, please use paragraphs and proper English, it is hard to take you seriously when your English is that of an 8th grader.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

FT preload does not always work at every center, like mine with about 15 people, our volume gets to the center between 2:30ish and 6:00, not possible to have FT preload. Our local sort has 2 hours of trailer loading then trucks are parked, send agains unloaded and they go home after 3 hours, unless they want to do odd jobs for another half hour. One more thing, if everyone is FT on the preload then some people will lose their jobs, the total number of man hours to accomplish a task wont change, only each person gets more hours individually, so they need less individuals.

I agree the sup working needs more teeth, right now they are not afraid to violate it, However a weeks pay is a lot, too much for UPS to agree to. Maybe $100 +hours worked x triple time.

Maxed vacation, would you like it if you couldn't take vacation because a few old timers saved up a years vacation and used it before retirement, only so many people can be on vacation at one tine you know.

You are aiming in the right direction, but your target is unattainable. Also, please use paragraphs and proper English, it is hard to take you seriously when your English is that of an 8th grader.

Why wouldn't full-time preload work again? You don't give a reason why. Because UPS doesn't want to pay the $28.15 or whatever the top driver rate is in your area for it? That's more like it. Everything else can be adjusted or negotiated including feeder runs.